News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

USS Defiant vs Death star

His train of thought is X-wing > DS and Defiant > X-wing therefore Defiant > DS.

The only way I can see this happening is the same way the Rebels did it. Torpedo up the tailpipe. Or possibly beaming a torpedo into the core.

The only way I can see this happening is the same way the Rebels did it. Torpedo up the tailpipe. Or possibly beaming a torpedo into the core.

You'd have to have a large fleet of Defiants to do that. One is not enough. Plus there's no way that they could have beamed it into the core.

You'd have to have a large fleet of Defiants to do that. One is not enough. Plus there's no way that they could have beamed it into the core.

Sure they could against the USS Defiant it's easy. Cloak, get right next to it, beam, run away giggling.

Require an act of god to be successful, either to know to shoot down the vent shaft, or to beam successfully with all that jamming and EM fields around while being shot at.

The defiant makes a much easier larger target

Sure they could against the USS Defiant it's easy. Cloak, get right next to it, beam, run away giggling.

If the cloak works against SW sensors. Wouldn't the DS detect gravitic distortions from the Defiant?

If the cloak works against SW sensors. Wouldn't the DS detect gravitic distortions from the Defiant?

only if they are traveling at high warp if i remember right or are extremely close (Ie like when the romulans were near DS9, the station was able to detect their signature). Besides that it's not like they need to be super close to transport.

The way I understood it was that the "gravitic sensors" weren't widespread, and came back out after Thrawn started using the cloaks he found.

Plus, gravitic sensors would not detect a ST cloaked ship, since standard gravitic sensors are on all the ships.

How many times have they sweeped for gravitons, or verified the gravity of a certain planet or some spacial phenomena?

Still, they can't detect cloaked ships all the time, even with these sensors...

I still don't believe for one second the Defiant could beam the torpedo in the reactor room, because it would need to beam through 60km of armor and bulkheads to do it, and ST transporters have always had issues with transporting through dense materials of some thickness (like 1 or 2 km of rocks, etc...).

As for the reactor core, I doubt a standard Photon Torpedo would fit through the 2 meter wide aperture with its shields... blink.gif

So, no, I do not for an instant believe that a single Defiant could destroy the DS.

A fleet of Defiant could damage it enough to stop it from firing on a planet (temporarily) by damaging the Superlaser's output port, at the cost of many ships, but not destroy it...

USS Defiant is more maneuverable then a Y-wing and fasters. USS Defiant like all Federation starships has some from technology makes weapons often miss by tricking the sensors. Other wise you have a lot explaining to do why Star Terk Gernations that Bird Pray miss so many times. So no reason to think big guns around Dearth star will do much better so even with out the cloak devices. One man tie fighters will be harmless to USS Defiant. As for far hole goes most likely land shuttle right near it and few Federation crews carries piece photon torpedo and put together lit drop.

I seem to recall a discussion about this roughly 6 years or so ago on ASVS where we talked about the size of Federation photon torpedoes and the size of the exhaust port. Without digging through 6 or more years of Usenet threads, I think the conclusion we came to was that the exhaust port was too small for standard Federation torpedoes.

thus transport the torpedo inside and woosh bye bye DS.

As was mentioned before, transporters might have a hard time going through that much dense materials. However, the exhaust port itself is vacuum. The transporter beam should have no trouble following that path right down to the core.

As was mentioned before, transporters might have a hard time going through that much dense materials. However, the exhaust port itself is vacuum. The transporter beam should have no trouble following that path right down to the core.

So any magnetic or radioactive or any type of interference suddenly vanishes just because there's an exhaust port?

So any magnetic or radioactive or any type of interference suddenly vanishes just because there's an exhaust port?

No. It's a path. It's the dense materials that would cause the problem. Not the random energy from a large space station.

No. It's a path. It's the dense materials that would cause the problem. Not the random energy from a large space station.

There more to dense materials that can interfere with transporters. Heavy enough interference by certain energy sources can mess up transporters.

Quote from absoluteastronomy.com

According to the The Original Series writers guide, transporters' effective range is 40,000 kilometers, although thick layers of rock can reduce this range (TNG: "Legacy"). Transporter operations have been disrupted or prevented by dense metals (TNG: "Contagion"), solar flares (TNG: "Symbiosis"), and other forms of radiation, including electromagnetic (TNG: "The Enemy" & TNG; "Power Play") and nucleonic (TNG: "Schisms"). Transporters have also been stopped by telekinetic powers (TNG: "Skin of Evil") and by brute strength (TNG: "The Hunted").

There more to dense materials that can interfere with transporters. Heavy enough interference by certain energy sources can mess up transporters.

Quote from absoluteastronomy.com

Normal transport operations is 40k, however it's been proven to go quite farther distances and even done warp transport. However, in all those instances they were trying to beam someone up/down. An object ie an explosive who cares if it's an exact target? tongue.gif As long as it got close then it's not going to matter too much. Unless the matter stream goes kaput completely however a simple way to fix this -

Beam them onto the surface and explode on rematerialization. Do this a couple of times you'll have a nice hole with people flying out. Then hell you could just fire the torpedo's into it.

Then hell you could just fire the torpedo's into it.

That's what I said, about a fleet being able to damage it by firing at the DS's Superlaser "dish", and damagin it enough to stop it from firing, until repairs can be made...

As for the transporter idea, IMO it wouldn't work because the DS had intense "Magnetic Shields".

I've no doubt they would be powerful enough to muck with Transporter beams.

And even though the shaft itself is pure emptiness, how wide does the space need to be in order to beam through?

What about all the intense radiation undoubtedly coming from the core of the DS?

No, I really do not believe in the Transporter trick

That's what I said, about a fleet being able to damage it by firing at the DS's Superlaser "dish", and damagin it enough to stop it from firing, until repairs can be made...

As for the transporter idea, IMO it wouldn't work because the DS had intense "Magnetic Shields".

I've no doubt they would be powerful enough to muck with Transporter beams.

And even though the shaft itself is pure emptiness, how wide does the space need to be in order to beam through?

What about all the intense radiation undoubtedly coming from the core of the DS?

No, I really do not believe in the Transporter trick

Doesn't technically need to be a fleet i mean really, torpedo's have long ass range and it's not like they're hitting a ship. It's a fucking planet basically. (Okay, the size of a moon whatever). The defiant could sit there pluck off like 4 torpedo's even at a remote distance, then move out of the way of them trying to fire at them. I will concede to the whole transporter idea but yeah it's not like the DS would be a match for a ship like the USS Defiant. Too easy to pluck away at it from afar.

And the TIE fighters are going to just sit there and let it happen? Or that the DS remains perfectly still?

And the TIE fighters are going to just sit there and let it happen? Or that the DS remains perfectly still?

Other than being an annoyance and maybe drawing fire away from the DS, I can't see what Tie fighters could do against a capital ship that was designed to fight the Borg.

okay the DS moves... and that is hard to triangulate proper firing how? It's not like it's as nimble as a ship. And yeah... tie fighters wooo hooo easily delt with. Fire torpedo's, lock on to said tie fighters, blow them up quickly and refire.

Other than being an annoyance and maybe drawing fire away from the DS, I can't see what Tie fighters could do against a capital ship that was designed to fight the Borg.

Designed and yet fail against the Borg. Remember "First Contact"? smile.gif

okay the DS moves... and that is hard to triangulate proper firing how? It's not like it's as nimble as a ship. And yeah... tie fighters wooo hooo easily delt with. Fire torpedo's, lock on to said tie fighters, blow them up quickly and refire.

Yes long enough for a TL shot or five to destroy the Defiant. Plus the TIEs can attack at DS's blindspots like the top and bottom. Also, what makes you think that the torps would be able to hit the TIEs when those fighters are a lot more nimble than the torpedoes?

As for the DS moving, it doesn't have to that much to mess up the lock. It could just rotate on it's axis and position the vent away from the torps.

Your last sentence makes no sense whatsoever. If it was that easy then why didn't the rebels do that?

I only see tie fighters have a fighting chance stopping a Defiant class starship or any Federation starships for that matter if they waiting right near that hole on the Death star other wise it just issue speed. A Defiant class starship auto pilot could reach that hole in the Death star before tie fighter could even be launched. So they have to wait their way before this battle even take place. Other wise no time to luanch excape pode none or less try stop it with ties fighters.