News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Praeothmin

Worf vs Chewbacca

(In ST's case, I mean movies and series, while SW has all six movies)...

1- Unarmed

2- Melee weapons

3- Energy Weapons: Phaser Rifle type 3 for Worf, Bowcaster for Chewie

Who wins?

(In ST's case, I mean movies and series, while SW has all six movies)...

1- Unarmed

Chewbacca. Sasquatches.... er I mean Wookies are physically stronger.

2- Melee weapons

Worf. Klingons are highly trained in hand to hand combat as a matter of cultural pride and racial identity.

3- Energy Weapons: Phaser Rifle type 3 for Worf, Bowcaster for Chewie

It depends. Klingons appear to be more intelligent as a species, and have much more advanced technology. I would give Klingons in general the edge on this. However, depending on Worf's marksmanship and the weaponry he has at his disposal, this could go either way. Type 3 Phaser rifle? Worf.

Unarmed? Chewie

Melee? I do not know what melee weapons Wookiees use so I can't answer. I checked wookieepedia and damn do the Wookiees have nasty blades. smile.gif Chewie slices and dices Worf.

Energy weapons? I'd give Chewie the edge.

Last time I checked, bat'leths are nastier than ryyk blades, what with them (bat'leths) being designed by a martial arts expert in real life. And a phaser rifle, which can vaporize someone, is superior to a bowcaster, which leaves scorch marks when killing them. First battle goes to Chewie, second two go to Worf.

Ok, I'll go at it:

1-Unarmed:

While Wookies are supposed to have superhuman strength, Chewbacca never did naything denoting great strenght in any movie, in fact he did nothing I could not do myself (and while I am above average strenght, I am not that strong), like lifting a Stormtrooper 1 foot off the ground and throwing him at another trooper 2 feet behind in TESB, or doing the same thing in RotJ in the forest when the Ewoks attack...

The only thing of notice he did was to pull the AT-ST pilot out of the cabin, but due to similar movements I've performed in weightlifting, I could do that under the circumstances, and I have nowhere near super-human strength.

While Worf, lifted a fully grown 150 pound man with 1 arm fully extended in front of him, held him there 2 full seconds without any apparent exertion, and then casually threw him across a room 5-10 feet away in "Let He Who Is Without Sin..." (DS9 episode).

In TNG, he once lifted a piece of bulkhead too heavy for Riker, nearly defeated Roga Danar, the genetically enhanced super soldier who had taken apart 2 security officers and O'Brian...

In ST:INS, he was fighting off 3 enemies at a time who clearly were stronger then humans (seeing as how Rua'Fo easily threw Admiral Dougherty around), and he was the only one who could defeat them. Each of his punches lifted his enemies off the ground.

In DS9, he fought against multiple Jem'Hadar soldiers, genetically engineered soldiers, and was unable to continue only after many of these fights in two days, without medical attention (Bashir could barely perform field medicine for lack of equipment)...

Worf has the physical advantages, and the training to take out Chewie, and he does...

2-Melee:

We haven't seen Chewie fight with weapons, but I would assume he is at least as good as he is unarmed.

His weapon will give him reach over Worf, but if he is only as good as he is unarmed, then Worf, with his Bat'Leth, thakes it.

Worf, in a TNG episode, has won the Bath'Leth tournament against all other Klingon participants, supposedly the best...

If Chewie is twice as good with a blade as he is unarmed, then he has the reach advantage, and so wins...

3-Energy Weapons:

Chewie's Bowcaster is by standard more powerful than a Phaser Rifle at "standard" combat setting, and Chewie showed reall good accuracy when he shot down that speeder bike in RotJ.

Worf also demonstrated comparable accuracy on many occasions, so while both are about as good as shot with their respective weapons, Chewie's weapon strength gives him the advantage, and he wins...

Last time I checked, bat'leths are nastier than ryyk blades, what with them (bat'leths) being designed by a martial arts expert in real life. And a phaser rifle, which can vaporize someone, is superior to a bowcaster, which leaves scorch marks when killing them. First battle goes to Chewie, second two go to Worf.

If you checked wookieepedia, Wookiees have more than just ryyk blades. But even with just the two known variants of the ryyk blades, the one that looks like a giant butcher knife coupled with Chewie's reach should enable him to hit Worf without being hit.

Bowcasters are superior to standard blaster weapons and will fuck you up. Both weapons do the same which is to kill. BTW most of the time when phasers are used, it isn't set on vape mode. Anyways, it doesn't matter if one can turn people into puffs of vapor, both do the job of killing and it comes down to who would do a batter job of it. I personally think Chewie would win.

Ok, I'll go at it:

1-Unarmed:

While Wookies are supposed to have superhuman strength, Chewbacca never did naything denoting great strenght in any movie, in fact he did nothing I could not do myself (and while I am above average strenght, I am not that strong), like lifting a Stormtrooper 1 foot off the ground and throwing him at another trooper 2 feet behind in TESB, or doing the same thing in RotJ in the forest when the Ewoks attack...

The only thing of notice he did was to pull the AT-ST pilot out of the cabin, but due to similar movements I've performed in weightlifting, I could do that under the circumstances, and I have nowhere near super-human strength.

You are limiting to the first three movies yet you've seem to forget that he was in Revenge of the Sith too. Chewie is regarded as a warrior (and over two hundred years old BTW, still young since the average lifespan of a Wookiee is 600) according to this;

""Wookiees are known for their combat skills, and Chewbacca is no exception. When not fixing things, Chewbacca spent his spare moments studying Wookiee hand-to-hand combat, a particularly nasty form of self-defense involving the expeditious removal of an opponent's major limbs.' ---(Star Wars Sourcebook, official source.)

Chewie also slapped an Imperial officer in the head and sent him flying about 10 feet, killing him.

Chewie wins.

Chewie versus Worf in webarchives

If you checked wookieepedia, Wookiees have more than just ryyk blades. But even with just the two known variants of the ryyk blades, the one that looks like a giant butcher knife coupled with Chewie's reach should enable him to hit Worf without being hit.

Bowcasters are superior to standard blaster weapons and will fuck you up. Both weapons do the same which is to kill. BTW most of the time when phasers are used, it isn't set on vape mode. Anyways, it doesn't matter if one can turn people into puffs of vapor, both do the job of killing and it comes down to who would do a batter job of it. I personally think Chewie would win.

You will notice I gave the ranged matchup to Chewie because I felt his weapon was superior...

As for the melee fight, I don't know how much RL melee you've fought before, but I have fought in Medieval melees with blunt weapons, and I larped a lot.

Skilled fighters with short weapons usually made short work of less-skilled opponents with longer weapons.

Once you're within the opponent's weapons' reach, it's easier for you, and harder for them.

Worf's weapon is especially good in this situation, because as soon as he blocks, he can get into Chewie's range, and his blade is excellent for quick, short stabs as well...

You will notice I gave the ranged matchup to Chewie because I felt his weapon was superior...

As for the melee fight, I don't know how much RL melee you've fought before, but I have fought in Medieval melees with blunt weapons, and I larped a lot.

Skilled fighters with short weapons usually made short work of less-skilled opponents with longer weapons.

Once you're within the opponent's weapons' reach, it's easier for you, and harder for them.

Worf's weapon is especially good in this situation, because as soon as he blocks, he can get into Chewie's range, and his blade is excellent for quick, short stabs as well...

Have you looked at my Wookieepedia link? There's two variants. One looks like a giant butcher knife and the second is a curved blade kept close to the fore-arm. One for the reach and the second for up close. Both are one handed weapons. smile.gif Plus add to the fact that Chewie has over two hundred years of experience in fighting plus his hand to hand combat which comprises of quickly removing the opponents limbs I still hand this to Chewie. smile.gif

You are limiting to the first three movies yet you've seem to forget that he was in Revenge of the Sith too. Chewie is regarded as a warrior (and over two hundred years old BTW, still young since the average lifespan of a Wookiee is 600) according to this;

Chewie also slapped an Imperial officer in the head and sent him flying about 10 feet, killing him.

That he is regarded as a warrior does not grant him skills, after all, Obi-Wan did state Stormtroopers are precise and we all saw how true that was... smile.gif

And where did he slap an imperial 10 feet back?

Have you looked at my Wookieepedia link? There's two variants. One looks like a giant butcher knife and the second is a curved blade kept close to the fore-arm. One for the reach and the second for up close. Both are one handed weapons. smile.gif Plus add to the fact that Chewie has over two hundred years of experience in fighting plus his hand to hand combat which comprises of quickly removing the opponents limbs I still hand this to Chewie.

None of this adresses the skill fact.

What the movies show us (all of them) is that Chewie is a great shot with his weapon, but he's not that strong, and not necessarily a good hand-to-hand fighter... smile.gif

BTW most of the time when phasers are used, it isn't set on vape mode.

Completely and utterly irrelevant. The discussion isn't what's SOP for away missions, it's about one on one combat. We know the capabilities of Phasers.

Completely and utterly irrelevant. The discussion isn't what's SOP for away missions, it's about one on one combat. We know the capabilities of Phasers.

The capabilities of the phasers is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Both weapons kill and that is the purpose of the debate. It doesn't matter what it does but if each weapon kills in one shot then that is what matters.

The capabilities of the phasers is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Both weapons kill and that is the purpose of the debate. It doesn't matter what it does but if each weapon kills in one shot then that is what matters.

Then why did you even bring it up?

Actually, what matters is that, right off the bat, the Phaser will not be set at its maximum setting, and thus the Bowcaster will be able to injure Worf even with near misses that explode nearby, and any cover Worf uses will be chipped at rapidly.

If they are in the open, then the first one to fire wins...

It's a toss-up, but I see Chewie winning more than Worf in the ranged battle...

Wait, can't phasers be set to "widespread"? If so, you wouldn't need to aim, just point, like with a shotgun.

Actually, what matters is that, right off the bat, the Phaser will not be set at its maximum setting, and thus the Bowcaster will be able to injure Worf even with near misses that explode nearby, and any cover Worf uses will be chipped at rapidly.

If they are in the open, then the first one to fire wins...

It's a toss-up, but I see Chewie winning more than Worf in the ranged battle...

This is making the assumption that the battle is a standard away mission with a surprise attack by Chewie. If both parties are going into battle knowingly, Worf wouldn't have his Phaser set to stun.

Ok, but that's cheating a bit, I feel.

But yes, if both parties know the other's capabilities, then I suppose Worf wins because losing might make Tyralak cry... tongue.gif

thumbdown.gif I honestly don't see how it's cheating. How is going into battle prepared and knowing your enemy's capabilities cheating?

When I imagine vs scenarios like this, I usually figure it's a first contact kind of vs (and usually forget to mention it tongue.gif)...

I agree, if Worf knows about Chewie's Bowcaster's power, and that Chewie is pretty good with it, he'll most likely set the Phaser Rifle on a higher setting, probably the "exploding rock" setting, giving him a better chance of winning...

Scenario 1: I'm going to give this one to Chewie. Worf would probably put up a fight, but still.

Scenario 2: If Chewie can use his Rykk Blades to keep Worf away, he'll take it. But if Worf can get in close, Worf'll take it. Coin toss.

Scenario 3: the Phaser rifle (First Contact) is the best handheld weapon the Federation has. A Bowcaster is incredibly effective. Too many other factors.

Why would you give the unarmed fight to Chewie?

I ask because I haven't seen anything giving the advantage to Chewie over Worf, either in strength or skill...

I think everything comes down to skill

In Worf master at Mok'bara Klingom martial art. Chewbacca has no marital art training that I know of never seen make move look like one. In practice Worf kill Chewbacca before easily hand to hand combat. Unless CHewbacca know martial arts and has been training which neither seem be the case.

Blade to blade combat again Worf training blade to blade warrior and years of training practices.Even if Chewbacca choose between different blade weapons he still loses.

Worf and CHewbacca have both good aim lot target practice time both know hitting targets. Phaser when hit target kill normal other wear special clothing. No matter were they hit Chewbacca Bowcaster kill only hit target spot cause death. Worf need lot less luck then Chewbacca worst matter if Worf not hit spot kill he most likley feel pain still same aim and deadness. While is possible Chewbacca could win it seem more likley Worf win. In star Terk first contact saw Worf able fight space suit leaking air. We seen Klingon warrior badly injured near death get hit still able deliver fetal blow to enemy.

That he is regarded as a warrior does not grant him skills, after all, Obi-Wan did state Stormtroopers are precise and we all saw how true that was... smile.gif

And where did he slap an imperial 10 feet back?

None of this adresses the skill fact.

What the movies show us (all of them) is that Chewie is a great shot with his weapon, but he's not that strong, and not necessarily a good hand-to-hand fighter... smile.gif

Worf himself isn't that great a fighter. He gets knocked to the ground by a punch from a Ferengi. In the Last Outpost, he's overcome by two Ferengi. He's also been outmatched by Guinan in marksmanship.

Beaten by Ferengi, outshot by a bartender. What next? Outsmarted by a Pakled? lol

Chewie lifted an AT-ST pilot with one hand effortlessly and then tossed him.

He's also ripped off an arm of a Nightsister before she could even react. "The Courtship of Leia"

In one of the older novels I think it is Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, Chewie defeated Egome Fass a Houk. Houks are easily the same height if not taller than Wookiees at 2.1 to 2.6 meters and are massive yet Chewie lifted him up overhead then cracked the guys spine. I've read somewhere that the Houk would weigh around 500lbs?

In Star Wars: Chewbacca, he ripped the arms and legs of a Trandoshan from its sockets.

Worf has never shown that kind of strength.

Great strength, vast combat experience (about 200 years) puts Chewie way above Worf.