News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Imperial Star Destroyer Quantification Thread

No, the Battle Lance was in the novel Death Star. It tried to use a hypermatter prototype and was promptly vaporized upon bringing it online. So yeah. I don't think that really works.

Pg 160 of The Death Star.

The Battle Lance.

His nephew, Hora Graneet, had been a navy spacer on the Imperial-

Class Star Destroyer Mk II class vessel, which had been selected for a

shakedown cruise testing one of the improved prototype hypermatter

Reactors.

It says it testing an improved prototype, nothing about it being completely new on Starships.

InvaderSkooj,

No it was not normal, it was described in the novel as being an new "improved" hypermatter reactor.

I didn't say it was a normal version, I said "So it was not a normal Hypermatter reactor."

Highly unlikely given that the Battle Lance exploded when it tried to adapt a hypermatter reactor to a ship of its size in Death Star. I would also ask what ICS you're getting this from.

EDIT: Oh wait, Complete Cross Sections.

In that case, please post the material.

You'd have to ask wookieepedia. They're the one that mentioned it.

Was it ever stated exactly what Hypermatter IS?

Matter that is better than normal matter, DUH!!!!!

Its like quantum, but Star Wars.

A miniature sun. That is pretty much the sum of it. AFAIK, they do not go into details about hypermatter.

A miniature sun. That is pretty much the sum of it. AFAIK, they do not go into details about hypermatter.

I think Hyperspace was mentioned, but that may have been on a website or a wiki.

It says it testing an improved prototype, nothing about it being completely new on Starships.

I didn't say it was a normal version, I said "So it was not a normal Hypermatter reactor."

I know merely emphasizing the point for mith

Tachyonic hyperspace zero point mumbo jumbo, also has complex mass measured in imaginary numbers

Ah. A miniature sun. Interesting. That's exactly what a fusion reactor is.

Tachyonic hyperspace zero point mumbo jumbo, also has complex mass measured in imaginary numbers

That's more like it.

Yeah, something like that. This is the problem with this debate. It ends up to be just about quantifying some writes ill-informed nonsense. But it's still a worthwhile endeavor. thumbsup.gif

So...it's fusion. dry.gif

So...it's fusion. dry.gif

No, it is giving us the idea of just how powerful the Hypermatter Reactors are by comparing it to the output of a small star.

No, it is giving us the idea of just how powerful the Hypermatter Reactors are by comparing it to the output of a small star.

In whose wet dream?

In whose wet dream?

Mith, mith, mith.

You can't do that. I'm pretty sure that the only numbers we have for a hypermatter reactor DO come out similar to a small star.

bump.gif I think it's time to take up the thorny issue of firepower. As InvaderSkooj mentioned in the past, the best Wars debaters make their points without referring to Saxton's fanboy wankfest. First, we should quantify from visuals and dialogue from the 6 films, and TCW. Then bring in the EU.

I agree. But lets make sure we have the other facts down first.

Star Destroyers: Their big, pointy flying cheese wedges, and they cause pain by shooting at stuff (like Rebel Cheese sticks) a lot.

Hey, I've seen that pic before!

As for quantifications, they aren't too well designed. Considering that the bridge is extremely exposed, and according to the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, that dome on the bottom is where their reactor is housed. A Mon Cal Cruiser on the other hand...

Hey, I've seen that pic before!

As for quantifications, they aren't too well designed. Considering that the bridge is extremely exposed, and according to the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, that dome on the bottom is where their reactor is housed. A Mon Cal Cruiser on the other hand...

Plus their easily targetted "sensor domes" that also seem to house shield generators...

rolleyes.gif

Plus their easily targetted "sensor domes" that also seem to house shield generators...

rolleyes.gif

I have no idea why some people are still trying to argue that those are sensor domes. The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology has an entire article on those. They are shield generators, without any doubt.

I think because someone of authority in Lucasfilms stated that the domes house both sensors and shield generators.

It has to be better than that. Someone from Lucasfilm stating something doesn't hold water. In print or better yet onscreen is what matters. I can scan the pages of the book when I get home if you like.