News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
InvaderSkooj

A brilliant idea, federation vs. federation

The UFP is dumped in the SST universe in place of the Arachnids on their planets (planet P, Klendathu etc.)

This is primarily a ground fight.

The UFP is dumped in the SST universe in place of the Arachnids on their planets (planet P, Klendathu etc.)

This is primarily a ground fight.

nuclear hand grenades FTW.

Which stargate Federation talking about different once you know?

Which stargate Federation talking about different once you know?
Book Starship Troopers, as in dudes jumping around in power-armor shooting 1.5 kiloton nukes at everything

Book Starship Troopers, as in dudes jumping around in power-armor shooting 1.5 kiloton nukes at everything

Don't know the book Starship Troopers, but even the movie guys should win this.

They have armor, weapons with a much higher ROF, and use artillery...

Oh, and warfare training...

The UFP have Pyjamas, a more versatile weapon, and no artillery, except for the occasional photon mortar or grenade...

Oh, and practically no warfare training...

Are we talking about ground battle or can UFP us it Starfleet attack fighters to provide air cover and air to ground support. Because that will make a differnts as will. Other wise I agree for what we know about Star Terk UFP ground soldiers force only air force and foot soldiers.

Are we talking about ground battle or can UFP us it Starfleet attack fighters to provide air cover and air to ground support. Because that will make a differnts as will. Other wise I agree for what we know about Star Terk UFP ground soldiers force only air force and foot soldiers.
Nope no air support. SOP for heavy resistance in SST is to nuke them from orbit. Since we know next to nothing about SST ships its not fair to allow it for one side but not the other

What about Galaxy class saucer section on the ground to aid fire support is that allowed.

What about Galaxy class saucer section on the ground to aid fire support is that allowed.

Nuclear Hand Grenades blow it to bits.

On a side note. Am I the only one here who sees the absurdity of nuclear hand greandes? Granted, I haven't read the books. However, I seriously doubt a person could throw a nuclear hand grenade far enough to not be vaporized by it.

On a side note. Am I the only one here who sees the absurdity of nuclear hand greandes? Granted, I haven't read the books. However, I seriously doubt a person could throw a nuclear hand grenade far enough to not be vaporized by it.

They're not thrown, their fired out of a launcher, but "Nuclear Hand Grenade" sounds better than "Sub-Kiloton Nuclear Mortar".

Ah well, that makes more sense now. But even launching them as a mortar, it still doesn't seem the smartest thing. Are these some kind of "clean" nukes? Surely even if they were out of the blast zone, they would still get irradiated.

Ah well, that makes more sense now. But even launching them as a mortar, it still doesn't seem the smartest thing. Are these some kind of "clean" nukes? Surely even if they were out of the blast zone, they would still get irradiated.

Assuming the projector can fire them more than a couple hundred meters it shouldn't be an issue. Remember, the friendlies are usually in combat suits with a certain amount of hardening.

We're probably not talking more than a 30 m fireball and 840 m ionizing radiation radius. (assuming 1 KT) you can drop it further if they are actually sub-KT.

THe question I have what going to happen if UFP has a few Galaxy class saucer section ground as both militry base camps and fire pads.

THe question I have what going to happen if UFP has a few Galaxy class saucer section ground as both militry base camps and fire pads.

Nuclear Hand Grenades blow it to bits.

You forget a Galaxy class saucer section even with out shield withstand nuclear attack. With shields it will be all the harder to destroy it. The phaser bank set strong stun setting could more dangers to the Starship troopers then knock out flying in air jetpacks.

You forget a Galaxy class saucer section even with out shield withstand nuclear attack. With shields it will be all the harder to destroy it. The phaser bank set strong stun setting could more dangers to the Starship troopers then knock out flying in air jetpacks.

Proof?

(This one will be funny!)

http://www.youtube.c...0851BA9&index=0

Nukes.......lots of them.

Because if the UFP gets saucers on the ground the TF gets their ships in orbit, and they like saturation bombing with H-bombs and the occasional nova bomb

Agreed. An unshielded saucer section wouldn't last long.

I really doubt a shielded one will, either.

You honestly think a ship with shields designed to fend off Quantum Torpedoes would have problems with a nuke?

You honestly think a ship with shields designed to fend off Quantum Torpedoes would have problems with a nuke?

One nuke? Not so much. Dozens of 50+ Megaton nukes - I thought we had expanded this to include stuff other than what's on the suits? Without a M/ARA to provide shitloads of power? Maybe.

Remember, the saucer doesn't have anti-matter power, just the fusion reactors.

Also, when you're playing with that level of weapons, simply fucking with the crust starts being feasible.

This is one of the reasons high end ground combat universes - like StarFIST and DMC, hell, even BATTLETECH - have VERY specific physics/histories. Once a certain amount of flexibility in the orbital level weaponry becomes available, ground combat becomes pointless.