News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

USS Enterprise D from Yesterday Enterprise from vs. a Star Destroyer.

Are you two seriously arguing about turn rates?

Both the Galaxy and Star Destroyer have off axis main thrusters. That's going to be a big deal with turn rates. Roll and pitch rates might be a bit relevant in the discussion of pure maneuverability (i.e. when the ship is using maneuvering thrusters only.)

Not really, they seem to think its a big deal though

Ummm, yeah? It's a plane, not a cruise liner.

Yeah, but contrary to the cruise liner, the plane needs to keep a certain velocity if it doesn't want to drop, and since I'm not a pilot, I didn't know a massive 747 could do that in an arc of 2km... wink.gif

Well, I am a pilot, and I'm telling you, a 747 does not need two freakin' kilometers to turn to the other direction. No plane does, unless it's going supersonic. The passengers might not be happy but it can still be done. wink.gif

Who cares about the passengers...

We'll make that tight turn and they'll love it... laugh.gif

Who cares about the passengers...

We'll make that tight turn and they'll love it... laugh.gif

plane.gif

Here the evidence that if USS Enterprise D had not hold it fire been able to destroy Klingon ships a lot faster.

PICARD

(coolly)

Hold your fire. Mister Crusher,

come about to one-four-eight mark

zero-zero-three, on my command.

Here the kind of damage could done in just few secounds.

The Enterprise-D FIRES TORPEDOES.

STAR TREK: "Yesterday's... " - REV. 12/11/89 - ACT FIVE 54.

77 INT. ENTERPRISE-D MAIN BRIDGE

As before.

DATA

One enemy target hit, sir.

Moderate damage to their

forward shields.

=

The ship sends out a firestorm of PHASER fire.

82 ON KLINGON SHIP (OPTICAL)

The phasers punch through the Klingon shields and the

ship EXPLODES.

If the USS Enterprise D had not held it fire it would been able to destroy that bird prey a lot faster special if came run out it with it phaser banks as will.

If did this trick first one could have done same trick on second one destroy it soon after. This may have will been able to be done less few seconds. Problem was the USS Enterprise D was trying to protect the USS Enterprise C.

If want to find out I got these lines from read this My link

Jason, the E-D's first option was to run, as Picard said the his crew that they could outrun the Klingons.

This means had the E-C not been there, the E-D would not have stayed for battle.

We saw the E-D do all it could to protect the E-C (it did do pretty well), but they fired as many shots as they could, and in as short a time as they could.

The first Torpedo volley (5 torpedoes were fired and hit the first BoP) did nothing but minor damage, and the BoP's shields held.

The first BoP was destroyed only after multiple hits were taken from the E-D.

We saw how long that took, and meanwhile the E-D was getting pounded.

So, again, THE FEDERATION WAS LOSING THE WAR, THE FIGHT BETWEEN THE E-D AND THE KLINGONS, WHILE SHOWING THE E-D COULD AND DID TAKE A POUNDING, WAS A GOOD INDICATION OF WHAT WAS HAPPENING: THE FEDERATION, WHILE LOSING, WAS GIVING A VERY BLOODY NOSE TO THE KLINGON EMPIRE, EVEN BROKEN LIMBS, BUT THE FEDERATION WAS STILL LOSING THE WAR, AND WOULD HAVE SUFFERED THE E-D'S FATE IF IT HAD GONE ON.

YOUR OBTUSENESS, WISHFUL THINKING, AND COMPLETE IGNORANCE OF THE FACTS IN THIS MATTER ARE IRRELEVANT.

I hope (but won't hold my breath) that you finally understand how foolish your stance is.

But I very much doubt it, since everyone here made excellent points which you continuously ignored in favor of your idiotic non-arguments which, by the way, only served to strenghten everyone else's positions and weaken yours...

Oggity boogity oooga boooga bogga wagga book

You know, at first, I thought these responses were bit uncalled for. But, after my recent bout with him, I feel like joining you guys...

lol

Well I could be like most mods and act like a complete tool and call posters out by their names and speak to them in a manner reminiscent of my douchy bitch 1st grade teacher (fucking bitch better rot in hell, and oh yes, I do seriously plan to take a shit on her grave. I'll post pics) and imply they're acting childish and whatnot.

That's the type of person I'd like to punch so hard they insta-die. And yes feel free to consider that a legal death threat too, because that's awesome. Besides it's not directed at a specific, named person, but rather a vague generality, so yeah there's no police jurisdiction fucktarded enough to even waste their time even wanting to look up this post.

At least here it's the mods who are acting childish biggrin.gif

Isn't that right, enigma? wink.gif

Unless you are in China\Iran\North Korea? Then you'd get a bullet through the brain? smile.gif

COOKEEE MOOKEEE DOOODAAAAAHHHH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

As noted by another poster and before we go on, these were not the usual small BoP. The Klingons had a larger version that we saw in TNG from time to time. Given the massive size of those cannons, they probably had a rather big punch. Basically, the entire battle really doesn't tell us much about the Enterprise D's fighting capabilities.

The fact the USS Enterprise D was able to destroy one of the bird of prey in a number of seconds and the fact USS Enterprise D spending more of it time guarding the USS Enterprise C then attacking Klingon ships. Beyond there was the fact Caption Pricard order the USS Enterprise D to hold fire got into a better places to protect the USS Enterprise C.

The problem is, that while it can be sure that the Klingons got some sort of advantage out of using the Enterprise C to limit the Enterprise D's movements, in a slug match, the Enterprise D went down. But then again, it was facing ships we cannot quantify, but are on the size scale similar to itself and desptie three to one odds, took out on of them and gave the others bloody noses. That's still impressive.

But they would not have won.

I bet you and jason are bumfuck lovers. smile.gif

An ISD would easily reach teraton in yield if not more per broadside compared to multi megaton yield from the phasers and torpedoes combined.

Yeah...no. Saxton's books are little more than bunk, and more reasonable calculations done on the quote from Revenge of the Sith suggests that the Venators of the time had low KT level weapons--on par with the NX-01 class. Even in twenty years, we can likely disregard the idea of their weapons technologies jumping that high. Probably double digit kilotons at best.

The ISD has every reason not to be nimble like a ballerina but then again the E-D and every ST capship move like beached whales. The ISD has an excuse, what's the E-D's?

What series do you watch? The Enterprise D is the least manuverable of the ships and its still outclasses the Imperial class. That's not to mention the Sovereign class, which would basically fly circles around an ISD--not that it need to considering the Nova class would probably spank a small fleet of them without problem.

The ISD will just ram the E-D without slowing down and head straight for earth and succeed in doing what the Borg failed to do. Have Earth surrender. smile.gif

Which is why a stray asteroid tore off the bridge tower of an ISD right?

Oh dear.

Which is why a stray asteroid tore off the bridge tower of an ISD right?

Oh dear.

Shhhh! Don't mention that inconvenient scene!

If he cries can I kick him?

Of course! *Hands Mith a size 13 boot*

Well...I had a slightly different idea...

*uses tractor beam to move a large asteroid shaped boot over SDN*

Want to see how the dinosaurs died? grin.gif

Question, was the ISD that got hit by an asteroid mentioned in canon or official materials to be the same one that got hit by that ion cannon?

Question, was the ISD that got hit by an asteroid mentioned in canon or official materials to be the same one that got hit by that ion cannon?

I'm not sure. But if that was the case, it shouldn't be much operational at that point. I'd almost say that surely Vader wouldn't be stupid enough to send it in otherwise...but he has been shown to be a wee bit irrational occasionally.

Like when he betrayed Windu.

And slaughtered helpless children.

And choked his wife.

Actually, nevermind. I think it's entirely possible he did something stupid like that. But kidding aside, I don't think it was ever mentioned. Even so, it does say a great deal about their structural capabilities.

If it has been mentioned elsewhere then that example cannot be used as the baseline guide for shield strength. I did some digging and got conflicting accounts by that ship. Some say it was outright destroyed while some say it was mentioned later in later novels of that ship being used in a mission some time after the asteroid incident.

Vader knew of the risks and still wanted them to go after the Falcon.

If it has been mentioned elsewhere then that example cannot be used as the baseline guide for shield strength.

Granted.

I did some digging and got conflicting accounts by that ship. Some say it was outright destroyed while some say it was mentioned later in later novels of that ship being used in a mission some time after the asteroid incident.

I've been told that the ship was indicated to have been destroyed by the novel. Possible retcon might be that the ship was basically wrecked, but they used the heavily damaged remains to rebuild the ship rather than spend the whole 3.88 billion. It could also be that the ship was quickly replaced and the Empire sought to bury the loss of the ship as a rumor to save face.

Vader knew of the risks and still wanted them to go after the Falcon.

True, he was taking a risk either way given the reluctance of the Imperial officers to follow the Falcon into the field.

True, he was taking a risk either way given the reluctance of the Imperial officers to follow the Falcon into the field.

Which brings up an interesting question. Why were they reluctant to go into the field, if asteroids posed no real threat to an ISD?

Which brings up an interesting question. Why were they reluctant to go into the field, if asteroids posed no real threat to an ISD?

There are asteroids larger than the ISDs themselves and unless I am wrong, quite a few of those huge asteroids were quite fast.

There are asteroids larger than the ISDs themselves and unless I am wrong, quite a few of those huge asteroids were quite fast.

Actually, even without going into yield debates, SW relies a great deal more on its ray shielding than particle. Particle shielding is probably designed to take proton torpedoes and minor impacts. An extended bombardment on all parts of the ISD's hull would probably be more than what the ship's shields were designed for. Similariy, as the armor is probably designed to be heat resistant, as even a nuke is mostly going to give off heat, then it's likely that the Imperial's armor might not be as thick as was originally thought or at least not as durable against physical impacts.

Or simply just seeing the asteroid field themselves and noticing quite a few huge asteroids they were reluctant to go racing in. They were not exactly going through it at a crawl.

Or simply just seeing the asteroid field themselves and noticing quite a few huge asteroids they were reluctant to go racing in. They were not exactly going through it at a crawl.

That's silly. They're Imperial officers. They shouldn't wet their pants at the prospect of a few asteroids.