News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

USS Defiant vs Death star

I think an EU author realized this and came up with the Hyperspace vortex created by the DS II's explosion as a reason why Endor didn't perish.

The Hyperspace vortex sucked all the radiations, debris, and whatnot from the explosion site and dumped it somewhere accross the galaxy... tongue.gif

Jeeeezzzz. And people complain about Trek technobabble solutions.

Jeeeezzzz. And people complain about Trek technobabble solutions.

To be fair, the people who complain about technobabble on Trek generally bitch about that, too.

True. Honestly, as a Trekkie that explanation would satisfy me. But it's out of character for Star Wars.

Yeah well there\'s conflicting arguments to it happening or not. Whether it was sudden or over a certain time period. I\'d like to say that the majority were wiped out. smile.gif

Nevertheless, I found out that there\'s a comic called Apocalypse Endor. In it there\'s an old former stormtrooper\'s account to what happened before, during and after RotJ. Apparently, they are more sadistic than one may think about the Ewoks.

Quoth wiki: \"His fellow patrons crush his last happy thought about Endor by revealing that as a myth, that most of the debris was vaporized during the violent explosion of the Death Star and the rest was intercepted by the Rebels, preventing any harm to the forest moon.\"

The Endor Holocaust started off as pure fanon, and then got adopted as erroneous Imperial propaganda. All canon and EU indications are that the Ewoks are alive and kicking.

Well, let's think about this here.

We know that Torpedo Spheres are designed to take down shielding of large planetary shields. Now, we know that the Torpedo Spheres carrried 500 proton torpedoes. Even assuming a yield of 1.5 megatons and assuming that 500 torpedoes is enough to smash through the weakened portion of a shield for a planetary shield, the total output would be around 750 torpedoes, although it could possibly be 937.5 megatons for the sake of the energy fluctuations.

A high yield photon torpedo could presumably blast its way through and damage the surface, although I would suspect that the method of pure one on one fight is stacked againt the Defiant. Really though, I'd say just sweep in close so that they're under the DS shields, beam a torpedo behind the hull and watch it blow out a big hole, then proceede to blasting away at the vulnerable insides. Given that the DS doesn't even have true particle shielding, it would probably be a rather simple feat.

Why are you assuming capital ship grade torpedoes to be 1.5 megatons?

Yeah! We all know that the smallest Proton Torpedoes are teraton range the Emperor farts supernovas! At least that's the official SDN numbers. tongue.gif

Yeah! We all know that the smallest Proton Torpedoes are teraton range the Emperor farts supernovas! At least that's the official SDN numbers. tongue.gif

No but to you guys this would equate the photorps the Fed ships use to be the same yield as the microtorps. That does not compute.

From Wookiepedia

Proton torpedoes came in a wide array of sizes and yields; from massively powerful capital ship weapons designed for orbital bombardment, to small but nimble fighter-grade weapons like those Luke Skywalker employed against the first Death Star. A number of torpedo designs were shielded to protect them from being shot down either by skilled pilots or the target's defensive flak guns.

Also http://en.allexperts.com/e/l/li/list_of_star_wars_ship-mounted_weapons.htm

I considered it to be on par with Darkstar's upper yield of 1.5 megatons for HTLs. It's possible that they could be higher, but if they were so much more powerful, one wonders why the Torpedo Spheres carry turbolasers.

I suppose it would be prudent to compare the damage we've seen proton torpedoes do to ships in comparison to how the turbolasers do. Given this, we could presumably come up with a lower limit and a possible upgraded scale.

Ahh geez. 1.5 MTs for turbolasers? In his cum-soaked dreams.

It's based off the Revenge of the Sith quote--and by the way, he is very much correct. In fact, the yield can be much lower than that. It would technically work at lowest possible yield with a town like Accident, but even larger towns wouldn't require more than 100 KTs to fuck up on incredible levels.

The fact that in ESB, the ISDs are shown to be vaporizing asteroids that are between 10 to 50 meters in diameter? We're talking about taking a fifth of a second to vaporize an asteroid. That is not 1.5 MTs.

The fact that in ESB, the ISDs are shown to be vaporizing asteroids that are between 10 to 50 meters in diameter? We're talking about taking a fifth of a second to vaporize an asteroid. That is not 1.5 MTs.

Evidence that said asteroid was vaporized? The fact is, as many have already pointed out, if it were vaporized, it would have happened very differently. And while yes, I am a fan of prefering story and plot over visual effects, this was a visual effect and it doesn't clearly show to me that the asteroid was vaporized.

Mith likes pulling things out of his ass, numbers being just one of them

Evidence that said asteroid was vaporized? The fact is, as many have already pointed out, if it were vaporized, it would have happened very differently. And while yes, I am a fan of prefering story and plot over visual effects, this was a visual effect and it doesn't clearly show to me that the asteroid was vaporized.

The asteroid was gone... kaput..... not there by the next two frames after being hit. Vaporized. Going by memory it took 1/5 to 1/15 of a second to do that.

Mith likes pulling things out of his ass, numbers being just one of them

Ad hominem.

Again.

The asteroid was gone... kaput..... not there by the next two frames after being hit. Vaporized. Going by memory it took 1/5 to 1/15 of a second to do that.

I'm well aware of the scene. What I want is evidence (from you) that the asteroid was vaporized.

Ad hominem.

Again.

I'm well aware of the scene. What I want is evidence (from you) that the asteroid was vaporized.

middlebolt.jpg

astvapo1.jpg

astvapo2.jpg

astvapo3.jpg

astvapo4.jpg

astvapo5.jpg

astvapo6.jpg

More info at this site.

It's based off the Revenge of the Sith quote--and by the way, he is very much correct. In fact, the yield can be much lower than that. It would technically work at lowest possible yield with a town like Accident, but even larger towns wouldn't require more than 100 KTs to fuck up on incredible levels.
And yet it can also be much greater, depending how you interpret it, and leveling isnt the same as vaporizing something

Mith will attribute the disappearance to magic. Like the rest of the incredibly dense asteroid field, which is noticeably less dense by the time Death Squadron disperses

Wait what the fuck does this have to do about a defiant vs a death star? God you people are weird o_O

In any event taking out a non shielded, non armored asteroid vs a shielded, armored ship is quite different.

I think another way Defaint class starship destory the Death star. Just drop few ant matter podes and fire a few photon toropdes at them. It make hole allow a Defaint clas starship fire full size photon toropodes into that much bigger hole. By by Death star dark and Vader.

I think another way Defaint class starship destory the Death star. Just drop few ant matter podes and fire a few photon toropdes at them. It make hole allow a Defaint clas starship fire full size photon toropodes into that much bigger hole. By by Death star dark and Vader.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Ummm.....No