News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Enterprise may return for a 5th season on Netflix!

Braga suggests Enterprise could return for a 5th season.

Well, looks like Enterprise may not be dead after all. According to Braga, there is a distinct possibility it could return as a Netflix exclusive series. I know I will do whatever I can to support this. I always felt that Enterprise was cancelled prematurely. We really were cheated out of some fantastic storylines they had in the pipe, due to shortsighted TV executives.

• Like 1

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. What Braga wants is one thing, but until we hear CBS saying okie dokie shit aint goin anywhere. :p

• Like 1

:spock:Interesting news & report!:defiant:

Remember Weyoun was supposed to join Beckett's crew as a regular in season 5?B) I wonder if that would still happen(?).:mystery:

:Romulan: Ale ROCKS!:thumbup:

I give this a snowball's chance. Cranking out character dramas and comedies is one thing but scifi calls for a budget and I'm not at all confident Netflix would cough up the cash for anything more than a TV movie equivalent. Maybe a mini. Did they go the nBSG route and digitize the sets? If not, they'd have to rebuild everything from scratch. That makes things even more expensive.

If CBS wants to make a new Trek series, they will not look back to a series that basically failed and does not have a cult following. Star Trek as a whole has the cult following and not matter how awesome the fourth season is supposed to be, I seriously doubt they'd go to the trouble of reviving the series. Maybe something in the same time period as a follow up but this sort of thing hasn't happened to my knowledge since Galactica 1980. My gut feeling though is that prime universe Trek is dead and isn't coming back. Whether it should or not is an entirely different discussion. I wouldn't mind a well done series picking up the pieces after the Dominion War but even that I'd be somewhat iffy on. The temptation would be to rely on themes of reconstruction and terrorism in a war torn part of the galaxy and television is already saturated enough with that. I'd prefer to see an episodic exploration series that hearkens back to the blend of space western and Outer Limits / Twilight Zone type story telling.

• Like 1

I give this a snowball's chance. Cranking out character dramas and comedies is one thing but scifi calls for a budget and I'm not at all confident Netflix would cough up the cash for anything more than a TV movie equivalent. Maybe a mini. Did they go the nBSG route and digitize the sets? If not, they'd have to rebuild everything from scratch. That makes things even more expensive.

If CBS wants to make a new Trek series, they will not look back to a series that basically failed and does not have a cult following. Star Trek as a whole has the cult following and not matter how awesome the fourth season is supposed to be, I seriously doubt they'd go to the trouble of reviving the series. Maybe something in the same time period as a follow up but this sort of thing hasn't happened to my knowledge since Galactica 1980. My gut feeling though is that prime universe Trek is dead and isn't coming back. Whether it should or not is an entirely different discussion. I wouldn't mind a well done series picking up the pieces after the Dominion War but even that I'd be somewhat iffy on. The temptation would be to rely on themes of reconstruction and terrorism in a war torn part of the galaxy and television is already saturated enough with that. I'd prefer to see an episodic exploration series that hearkens back to the blend of space western and Outer Limits / Twilight Zone type story telling.

Technically, Enterprise predates the Prime/Alternate Universe split. Plus, I don't think the Prime Universe is dead at all. In fact, unless CBS and Paramount kiss and make up, there won't be any Alternate Universe Trek series on TV. The only thing they could make would be Prime Universe. I'd say put it in the STO timeframe, or perhaps even further out.

Netflix is actually becoming a force for original programming. If you recall, there was a lot of scoffing going on when HBO and Showtime started producing original programming. People were saying they couldn't possibly have the budget to produce network quality shows, and the audience would be too small for a show to become mainstream. Well, Stargate SG1, The Sopranos and Rome proved that theory wrong.

• Like 1

Technically, Enterprise predates the Prime/Alternate Universe split. Plus, I don't think the Prime Universe is dead at all. In fact, unless CBS and Paramount kiss and make up, there won't be any Alternate Universe Trek series on TV. The only thing they could make would be Prime Universe. I'd say put it in the STO timeframe, or perhaps even further out.

Netflix is actually becoming a force for original programming. If you recall, there was a lot of scoffing going on when HBO and Showtime started producing original programming. People were saying they couldn't possibly have the budget to produce network quality shows, and the audience would be too small for a show to become mainstream. Well, Stargate SG1, The Sopranos and Rome proved that theory wrong.

:spock:

Excellent points! That's what's unique about ENT. It has DOUBLE CANONUITY.

:defiant:

Valid points but I will not hold my breath that prime will ever continue in film or on television. What could they do that wouldn't be a rehash of everything else they've done? Voyager and Enterprise suffered a great deal from their semi-blatant stealing of TNG's story formulas but can a new series not feel like a rerun with better FX? I think that's a question worth exploring but I don't see it happening in the Prime verse. It ain't over until its over but if there's anyone who thinks there's actually going to be a fifth season of Enterprise, the Browncoats have some swampland they'd like to sell to shoot it. Just don't dig too deep, that's where they buried the cult of Farscape.

• Like 1

It interest for Enterpise series to return on Netflix I say odds pack against it.

I support any and all Netflix exclusive shows. This can only be a good thing, methinks.

• Like 1

Enterprise already looked ridiculously low budget, not sure that Netflix could do much better with it.  Plus, Netflix has had a spotty run with it's originals:

House of Cards: EPIC WIN, great show, it got the 2 Million new subcribers.

Arrested Development: WIN, even though it got some bad critic reviews and new subcriptions fell short of predictions.

Hemlock Grove: Meh, it's just there.  Shocking for the sake of shocking, but as far as I can tell they forgot to write an actual plot.

Orange is the new Black: FAIL.  My guess is the only people watching this retread jail drama, are 16yo boys wanking it to all the soft core scenes.

With a 50/50 batting average, it will be interesting to see how much money they will allocate to further exclusives...

• Like 1

I liked seasons 3 and 4 (except for the show finale), and so I would love for it to have one more run...