News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-Sama

Star trek Deepspace nine!

Ali-Sama? That really you? Man, I haven't seen you here in a while.

I just cued this on Netflix streaming two weeks back. Got a few episodes in, and I am enjoying it immensely so far. I watched it casually when it was originally airing, but those days were preoccupied by women wine and song, so I didn't follow all the nuances. I am finding myself enjoying the darker, more mature, perspective they are using.

I kept thinking to myself last week during the Pilot: Is Garak as blatantly fruity as he seemed back then?. Then serendipitously I got to see the lingering bad touch episode last nite, I thought Bashir was going to scream that he needed a grownup!... "I don't know Julian, what could Garak want from you" (nice smirk on Dax's face as she/he says it).

I just cued this on Netflix streaming two weeks back. Got a few episodes in, and I am enjoying it immensely so far. I watched it casually when it was originally airing, but those days were preoccupied by women wine and song, so I didn't follow all the nuances. I am finding myself enjoying the darker, more mature, perspective they are using.

I kept thinking to myself last week during the Pilot: Is Garak as blatantly fruity as he seemed back then?. Then serendipitously I got to see the lingering bad touch episode last nite, I thought Bashir was going to scream that he needed a grownup!... "I don't know Julian, what could Garak want from you" (nice smirk on Dax's face as she/he says it).

Well, I finished watching the entire series a couple of months ago. It really was a well thought out show. One of my favorite exchanges in the series from the episode 'The Wire':

Bashir: "Was any of it true, Garak?"

Garak: "My dear doctor. It was all true."

Bashir: "Even the lies?"

Garak: "Especially the lies."

At first I thought it was just a clever back and forth, until I really thought about it. What Garak was saying was correct. All of his stories were true. Or at least, they were fictionalized accounts built around an essential nugget of information about Garak's past. The stories were invented, but the truth in them was unmistakable and there for the taking, if you were willing to dig for it.

I'm well into Season 2 right now. The story lines were an exponential leap over the previous two. Really great casting, most characters come across as natural. I get fatigued by those androgenous space hippie Bajorans though, I realize they are central to the story line, but no wonder the Cardassians took them over so easily.

• Like 1

DS9 was great, especially seasons 3 and up, and anyone not agreeing is an idiot... wink.png

You are saying it was better than Season 0?

Wormhole phenomena permits it.

I meant OS and NG. They seem like slapstick compared to DS9 scripts.

I'm far enough into the series that Worf has now joined. It's not working for me, the story lines around him are tiresome cliche. He was a compelling character on NG, but on DS9 it feels contrived and counter-intuitive to what the tone of the series is. I'm not sure if they needed s ratings boost or what. And the impending marriage to dax is just plain jumping the shark. No wonder the ST franchise started the death spiral after DS9. I will be doing the FF during any of their courtship BS. This story arc makes baby jesus cry.

Just wait until Season 5 or 6, when the Dominion War starts. Season 7 had some good moments, but at times, it feels like campy TOS episodes.

An episode I saw last night reminded me of something that has been irking me. OK, I get this hokey story that the B'jorens [sp?] had some solar sail craft that allowed them space travel hundreds of years back. They claim to have had space travel before the Cardassians. Yes, a charming little story. So lets assume these crafts would be possible with their technology, because they use the same tech as ocean ships and primitive submarines. So then how the hell did they get into orbit? Seriously, WTF?

Actually, Solar Sails are a real technology. Massive "sails" that use solar wind (the stream of particles that come from our sun, and all stars, in fact) to push them along. The Bajoran sail ship was actually pretty realistic, aside from FTL travel using only the sails.

And, we see other Bajoran space ships throughout the series. It's just that the Cardassian occupation was so brutal that a lot of their tech got knocked back.

I know that solar sails are real.

I know the Cardassians knocked the crap out of them for 50 years.

My issue is that "hundreds" of years ago these simple craft were in space. If they had the tech to get man into orbit hundreds of years ago, they would not have been using those silly craft that look like some whack ass Divinci drawing. If they were purely relying on solar sails, they could not have had the tech to get into orbit. Even if we go way out on a limb and say they got into orbit via light propelled device, it doesn't add up because Gov't skunkworks are currently only just being able to propel a small disc a hundred feet in the air - and that is with our relatively superior tech. There is a logic flaw in these assumptions we are supposed to swallow.

I just finished the series two weeks back.  Amazing series.  The Dominion wars got a little hokey and tiresome.  My biggest irk is that at some points "The Worf and Dax saga" almost completely dominated the series, to the point it seemed that 50% of episodes were completely revolving around them... even after Jans-Dax dies!!!

That being said, IMHO, DS9 reached the peak of "what could be" in a ST series.