News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Starfleet armor in 24 century

It could be too, that armor would provide too small of a protection against a weapon as powerful as a phaser or disruptor. It would have been too little too late.

Phaser's standard power settings are no higher than Blasters, and so glancing hits from either would be diminished for an armor wearing soldier.

And as Worf was able to create a forcefield using his Comm-Badge, why do Starfleet personnel not wear a breatsplate with a power pack for the shields?

Face it:

They don't wear armor where anyone with half a brain should...

Phaser's standard power settings are no higher than Blasters, and so glancing hits from either would be diminished for an armor wearing soldier.

And as Worf was able to create a forcefield using his Comm-Badge, why do Starfleet personnel not wear a breatsplate with a power pack for the shields?

Face it:

They don't wear armor where anyone with half a brain should...

That may be true, but you see what a phaser or a disruptor can do at full power, unless you're wearing Hirogen armor, it won't do any good. For example:

Other than the Hirogen and the Borg, what instances has a full powered phaser failed against an armored person?

Other than the Hirogen and the Borg, what instances has a full powered phaser failed against an armored person?

That's kind of my point. When you have weapons that can do that, armor is irrelevant. Personal forcefields would be better suited, in fact that's what the Borg use, not armor. The Hirogen seem to be a peculiar case. Why personal forcefields aren't more commonly used is anyone's guess.

That's kind of my point. When you have weapons that can do that, armor is irrelevant. Personal forcefields would be better suited, in fact that's what the Borg use, not armor. The Hirogen seem to be a peculiar case. Why personal forcefields aren't more commonly used is anyone's guess.

I don't know if it was here or at SDN, but someone posted a quote from a DS9 episode stating that Starfleet had enough personal forcefields to equip an army.

If that is true then why haven't they been issued to every starship in Starfleet? Imagine the drop in the death rate for redshirts. smile.gif

I don't know if it was here or at SDN, but someone posted a quote from a DS9 episode stating that Starfleet had enough personal forcefields to equip an army.

If that is true then why haven't they been issued to every starship in Starfleet? Imagine the drop in the death rate for redshirts. smile.gif

It's been mentioned in a number of places. No idea why personal forcefields aren't used more often, but the power of phasers and disruptors is why they don't use armor. It would simply be useless.

I could think few reasons why we never get see it be used in combat

First possible only used for ground combat. Maybe artificial gravity make personal force field useless when come stopping phaser beams or other energy base weapons. Hay Worf commutator fail to stop bullet in anycase

Second possible is advancement weapons against advancement of personal force fields. UFP maybe used personal force field during some fire fights. Then Dominion upgrade hand weapons to either just over power personal force fields. UFP had then to work on geting personal force field that provide protect against Dominion hand weapons. Then the Dominion was able over come those personal force fields. All ground battles we get to see were UFP enemy have upper hand.

Third possible fact they take special training UFP might will have the able to give every person ever born UFP person force field. But it could danger to user if he or she does not us it right.

True. All too true. smile.gif

Here example personal force field

Ajilon_Prime_guard%2C_female.jpg

See weapon not even touching her and still push back by it.

You use a picture of a woman getting shot to death as proof of a personal force field?

Mmmmkay then. No, I see where you're going with this. They have some neat padded rooms there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

The picture Jason posted looked like she was using her Happy Fun Time Ball Energy Vomit Attack.

In practice it TV show that simple answer comes Starfleet personal while on screen did not have personal force field on other when happen fit plot. Same argument could use for Star Wars. Hear Ben once saying only stromtroops have that kind aim. With all due respect the sand people when on screen have much better aim then stromtrooper on screen.

In practice it TV show that simple answer comes Starfleet personal while on screen did not have personal force field on other when happen fit plot. Same argument could use for Star Wars. Hear Ben once saying only stromtroops have that kind aim. With all due respect the sand people when on screen have much better aim then stromtrooper on screen.

Drink hydrochloric acid, please.

Hear Ben once saying only stromtroops have that kind aim. With all due respect the sand people when on screen have much better aim then stromtrooper on screen.

13009840523697009119.jpg

A stromtrooper hit R2-D2 very effective during Star War return of Jedi. It like plot say Stromtrooper has good aim he has good aim. When Star Terk plot say UFP personal has personal force field he has personal force field.

A stromtrooper hit R2-D2 very effective during Star War return of Jedi. It like plot say Stromtrooper has good aim he has good aim. When Star Terk plot say UFP personal has personal force field he has personal force field.

WHAT?

Are you joking?

Why yes, of course he is Jason.

You don't seriously think he means it when he writes idiocies like that, don't you? wink.gif

To make simple personal force field one many type combat equipment never get see UFP personal but talking used off screen. photon granade best example of that. Simple put he heard first TNG basic heard at least few time DS9 and we heard sound effect in Voy.

To make simple personal force field one many type combat equipment never get see UFP personal but talking used off screen. photon granade best example of that. Simple put he heard first TNG basic heard at least few time DS9 and we heard sound effect in Voy.

You have yet to present an application where a personal forcefield is used in combat, and frankly, a personal forcefield is an idiotic way to cambat anyone other than the federation. Either the forcefield will repel everything (making uses other than buckler style setups rather dicey as they repell the user from the ground) or they will only defend against energy, which means that either slug throwers, bows and arrows, or broadswords are about to make a huge comeback.

Hrmm... there might actually be evidence for the use of personal forcefields in recent klingon history now that I think about it. Of course, there is no evidence that anyone else in ST ever had extensive use of them.

Jason - you keep making "tech level" arguments and forgetting that optimization happens against certain threats and that there are almost always counters to a possible defense. Just because something is "more advanced" doesn't make it more dangerous - althought there are limits, generally at what I call the Clarkian bounderies - the places where technology becomes indistinguishable from magic. I would put my money on Patton commanding a modern Third Army (or even his own, but that would be approaching a clarkian situation) over - say - Picard commanding any amount of federation equipment we've seen onscreen. Do you understand why?

The reason why the personal forcefield (especially a buckler style forcefield) would be a good idea for enemies of the federation is because of the Federation's painfully stupid refusal to adopt anything but the most technological way to solve a problem unless they are forced to. How many years has starfleet been fighting the borg and they've never bothered to issue something as simple to replicate as a battleaxe or even a sword to teams GUARANTEED to encounter borg patrols? Heck, even if the borg can adapt to bullets (I don't believe it and you'll never convince me they can, so don't even bother trying - but I'm going to grant that they can simply to point out how stupid the space hippies are in this context), we've been shown time and again that blunt and tearing trauma damages them severely.

We never seen used combat however during Voyager did see engineer personal using personal force field.

Seska_in_a_subspace_bubble.jpg

We never seen used combat however during Voyager did see engineer personal using personal force field.

That wasn't a personal force field but an ad hoc subspace bubble. Dipshit.

If guy see way I think that is personal force field watch first video form 1 minute and 10 seconds to about 1 minute and 14 seconds. See light flash around Worf he get hit bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9SHDoW4-o

Now if watch this video and see Seska walk force field 7 minute and 19 seconds to about 7 minute and 25 seconds. See how light up when she walk force field and still on when get though force field.See two them near to identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7fY0G11sM

You are a fucking retard. But then again that is an insults to all retards.

A - That was a holodeck episode

B - The two look nothing alike. And even if they did, oxygen looks the same as CO2 under visible light too, that doesn't make them the same thing by a long shot.

P.S. One of these:

thumb50_Aposematic_coloration_coral_snake_DP740.jpg

looks about as much like one of these:

Quiz1A.jpg

As those two do. Are they the same snake?

Before you answer, I'd remind you that they stopped making coral snake anti-venom a few years ago.