News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Re-watching Voyager

It's been nearly a decade since I've watched a full episode of Voyager, so I decided to go back through and watch the entire series. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised. Either my standards have been significantly lowered, or the series really wasn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. I've made it through Season 2, episode 21 'Deadlock'. I haven't yet encountered any glaring stupidity. 'Tattoo' was a bit hokey, but 'Threshold' which supposedly is among the worst episodes in all of Trekdom, wasn't atrocious. As I progress further in the series, I'll definitely post any examples of fail and faggotry, but so far I haven't run into any yet. Mild stupidity, yes. Such as the episode 'The 37s'. Interesting idea, but I don't think it was done as well as it could have been. The scene where the away team allowed themselves to be disarmed by a man with a revolver was a facepalm moment, but it still didn't rise to the level of fail that is often claimed about the series.

I actually thought "Threshold" was "So Bad It's Good", rather than outright shit.

If the pilot episode was done right, there would have been no series. smile.gif lol

If the pilot episode was done right, there would have been no series. smile.gif lol

That can be said for most TV series, so it's irrelevant.

That can be said for most TV series, so it's irrelevant.

Not really. VOY's plot in the pilot was so easily solvable. All they needed to do was put those tri-cobalt bombs on a timer and had the Caretaker or at least use his array to get home and then KABOOM! Voyager and the Maquis are back home and the Kazon are unable to use the array. Badda-bing, badda-boom!

You can't say that with any of the other Trek series. But I can't say about the rest but even then the solution should not be so glaringly obvious. smile.gif

Not really. VOY's plot in the pilot was so easily solvable. All they needed to do was put those tri-cobalt bombs on a timer and had the Caretaker or at least use his array to get home and then KABOOM! Voyager and the Maquis are back home and the Kazon are unable to use the array. Badda-bing, badda-boom!

You can't say that with any of the other Trek series. But I can't say about the rest but even then the solution should not be so glaringly obvious. smile.gif

I think you need to watch the pilot again. Your memory seems to be a bit rusty. In any event, I'm talking about the individual episodes, not the premise.

Threshold = fucking retarded. Hell, they had to come up with an entirely new way to explain warp speeds due to that fuckup. Since in AGT they were going at Warp 14 or whatever.

AS for the stupidity of the plot for the pilot Honestly yeah I've always thought that too lol. There was many ways they could of done both but I finally came to a very simple conclusion -

Yes, they could of beamed tricobalts etc into the station but.. the slight fact they were kinda under fire from the kazon with other ships on the way didn't really give them a ton of time to sit down, have their cup of coffee, plan the detonation, figure out the controls to send them home, punch in the right systems, activate tricboalt bombs, beam over bombs, activate slingshot thingy, slingshot thingy goes, bombs go off and end of series.

Overall though i liked voyager. Threshold i hated. And the 37's (or 34's whatever) episode was kinda meh on. But still great series.

ABSOLUTELY HATED THE ENDING. Left it way too wide opened and I wanted to know wtf happened to everyone =\

I also hated VOY's approach to any major antagonists. They've practically neutered every one of them. The Borg no longer became a technological nightmarish juggernaut but pansies to Janeway. Remember Q2 bringing in several Borg Cubes and yet Janeway wasn't bothered in the slightest?, Hirogens went from large Predator type villain to wimps being taken out by holograms. Species 8472? Went from Borg killer to being afraid of humans.

Just plain stupid.

WTF you talking about? Q2 brought the borg cubes and you could just TELL Janeway was like "Oh fuck me" but she can't say that or show that by screaming "HOLY CRAP WERE GONNA DIE". Her response was to try and fight knowing they're going to die without Q's help.

WTF you talking about? Q2 brought the borg cubes and you could just TELL Janeway was like "Oh fuck me" but she can't say that or show that by screaming "HOLY CRAP WERE GONNA DIE". Her response was to try and fight knowing they're going to die without Q's help.

It has been a while but I remembered her acting as if it was no problem. Again. it has been a long while.

NVM, read up on the episode on Memory Alpha.

Why couldn't Kes & Circuit Breaker have BOTH been on V'GER? Why did Kes have to leave? I'm really indifferent to Kes, but it IS a ship of 200 or 300 people yes?

37s was a bit much. I guess Earhart's abduction will be in the Special Edition of "Amelia".

Why couldn't Kes & Circuit Breaker have BOTH been on V'GER? Why did Kes have to leave? I'm really indifferent to Kes, but it IS a ship of 200 or 300 people yes?

37s was a bit much. I guess Earhart's abduction will be in the Special Edition of "Amelia".

I think the crew compliment of Voyager was about 150, IIRC.

The Intrepid-class USS Voyager had a crew complement of 141 when departing Deep Space 9 in 2371. (VOY: "Caretaker") Throughout the its journey in the Delta Quadrant, the ship operated with a crew of approximately 150.

The Intrepid-class USS Voyager had a crew complement of 141 when departing Deep Space 9 in 2371. (VOY: "Caretaker") Throughout the its journey in the Delta Quadrant, the ship operated with a crew of approximately 150.

Exactly how many people were on that Maquis ship? I would have guessed even less than the nine we need at a minimum to make that work, and we know Voyager took casualties - notably the entire medical staff, the first officer, the chief engineer, and the helmsman.

Exactly how many people were on that Maquis ship? I would have guessed even less than the nine we need at a minimum to make that work, and we know Voyager took casualties - notably the entire medical staff, the first officer, the chief engineer, and the helmsman.

Ya know.. Good question.

Apparently there were two types of fighters. The type Ro'Laren used and the type "Chuckles" (as Q called him hehe) used.

According to un official sources, his type had 2 decks with crew quarters, sick bay, cargo hold on deck 2. It also states it can hold a crew size of 34. So I SUPPOSE that it was full and thus thats where all the replacements came from *shrugs*

I started watching Voyager as well, and I still think it is the worst of the Trek series, but yeah, it's not that bad.

As for how a timed detonator would have brought everybody back home happy, and Voyager would have never stayed stranded.

The problem is, in Caretaker, when Janeway asks Tuvok how much time it would take to reprogram the array to take them home, he said "several hours".

They didn't have several hours, since the Kazon Maj had just told Janeway he had reinforcements on the way.

Since Voyager had trouble with just 2 Kazon ships (one of which was as small as the Maquis ship), they would not have been able to hold on, and may have lost the array to the retar... Kazons, which means the Kazon get access to super technology, and Voyager still stays stranded in the Delta Quadrant...

I've got every single other ST series on Netflix streaming, but I'm on the fence about going back in watching Voyager. When it was on I found it mediocre, especially what is maybe the most annoying character of all time: Neelix (I loathe him in ways words can't describe).

OTOH, it doesn't cost me anything to cue it up. I might give it a watch when the wife isn't around, she does OS and NG but shuns the rest!

I've got every single other ST series on Netflix streaming, but I'm on the fence about going back in watching Voyager. When it was on I found it mediocre, especially what is maybe the most annoying character of all time: Neelix (I loathe him in ways words can't describe).

OTOH, it doesn't cost me anything to cue it up. I might give it a watch when the wife isn't around, she does OS and NG but shuns the rest!

I did like it as a series. A lot more the second time around than the first.

Personally, I thought "Scorpion" and "Relativity" were awesome episodes.

And if it wasn't for VOY, well, there probably wouldn't be FPE.

Neelix should have never been given the phony title of morale officer. They should have told him to just "shut the fuck up and cook!" from Day 1.

I watched about half of the pilot last nite. I agree with Ty, either my standards are lower, or I just poo-poo'd it because DS9 came off so much better. I'll definitely watch a few episodes here and there, but I'll still be focusing on DS9... oh and I'll visit Enterprise once in a while, to be impressed by T'Pol's federation issue flotation devices!

I watched about half of the pilot last nite. I agree with Ty, either my standards are lower, or I just poo-poo'd it because DS9 came off so much better. I'll definitely watch a few episodes here and there, but I'll still be focusing on DS9... oh and I'll visit Enterprise once in a while, to be impressed by T'Pol's federation issue flotation devices!

Those floatation devices always put my tray table in a locked and upright position.......

I'm still watching an episode once in a while. But Neelix make me want to kick kittens. I have to take in very infrequent doses.

If only this wasn't a holodeck program lol
  • Like 1

I sill haven't made it through Season 1 yet. Janeway's "I am Kate Hepburn" soliloquies get a bit too much for me sometimes. Episodes that are Neelix or Tess focused get skipped, or at very a lot of fast-forward, the douchechills are just too much for me. Meanwhile I still watch when I can, mainly because I am still trying to figure out if Lt. Torres is hot or not.