News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

SW EU Source conflict qq crap

Only the ICS states that. The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels says that they use a Solar Ionization reactor.

Oh dear. Two SW EU sources contradicting each other? What will we ever do? behindsofa.gif

Only the ICS states that. The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels says that they use a Solar Ionization reactor.

Quote from Wookieepedia about the hypermatter:

Hypermatter was tachyonic matter that existed in hyperspace.[3] When constrained by realspace, charged tachyons were annihilated as they accelerated to infinite speed within a reactor. The hyperdrive adjusted the faster-than-light hypermatter particles to allow a ship to jump to light-speed without changing its complex mass and energy. The hypermatter annihilation cores were in turn confined by fusion systems.[1]

AoTC: ICS and RotS: ICS both states that starships use hypermatter reactors. NEGtV&V does not contradict.

The Venator Class Star Destroyer, the precursor to the ISD uses a Hypermatter Annihilation Reactor. So did the Victor Class Star Destroyer.

Venators were equipped with powerful engines, a Class 1 hyperdrive with an effective range of 60,000 light years. Its main reactor could annihilate up to 40,000 tons of hypermatter fuel per second, producing at maximum 3.6 × 1024 watts of power.

Again as I stated before, even starfighters from the Clone Wars era used hypermatter in their hyperdrive rings.

Here is the page that has a pic with a caption stating that VSD, ISD and DS1 uses a hypermatter reactor.

There is precedent for ships as small as starfighters to battlestations as big as the DS2 using hypermatter. Annihilating hypermatter would give an appearance of a miniature sun when energy is produced. It doesn't contradict the NEGtV&V.

Solar ionization reactor and the older hypermatter annihilation reactors both use hypermatter but possibly in different ways. Maybe they used hypermatter for the ionization process?

That might be one of the stupidest justifications I've heard in a while. If it used hypermatter, than it would be called a hypermatter reactor. Solar Ionization Reactors are stated to work in conjunction with solar pannels to provide energy for a ship.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_ionization_reactor

Here's the ISD's model:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-a2b_solar_ionization_reactor

ISD Mk. I Solar Ionization Reactor:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

That might be one of the stupidest justifications I've heard in a while. If it used hypermatter, than it would be called a hypermatter reactor. Solar Ionization Reactors are stated to work in conjunction with solar pannels to provide energy for a ship.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_ionization_reactor

Here's the ISD's model:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-a2b_solar_ionization_reactor

ISD Mk. I Solar Ionization Reactor:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

I know this (well I forgot about the first link) because I've mentioned or posted the same material you have in this very thread but for different reasons. I'm just trying to harmonize the two. smile.gif

I'll make another reply later. smile.gif

Brings up hypermatter/solar ionization reactor debate.

*Eyes bleed*

Paul, this is why I lock threads...

*Eyes bleed*

Paul, this is why I lock threads...

Learn to split. tongue.gif

I've asked in SDN as to whether or not the ISDs use hypermatter and where's the source on it and for the most part everyone thinks it is common knowledge. One pointed out the ISD2 Battle Lance incident in which the ISD2 was vapourized when the prototype of an improved hypermatter reactor failed. They mentioned that it was an improved version so therefore the ISDs were using current hypermatter reactor (paraphrasing).

To me that goes both ways. While yes, one could argue the above to show that the ISDs used hypermatter reactors, but the opposite can also be true. That it was an improved hypermatter prototype made for the ISDs but it failed.

I'm also still trying to harmonize the two sources with one saying that it uses a solar ionization reactor and another mentioning that it used hypermatter.

Wookieepedia states about solar ionization reactors,

A solar ionization reactor was a reactor aboard all TIE fighters that worked with solar panels to provide power to the ship.

The I-a2b solar ionization reactor was also a solar ionization reactor.

Under Solar Panels, it mentions that it was a power source for the TIE fighters and their variants.

Now we know that the ISDs do not employ solar panels to get the energy needed for the ionization process. I believe they use hypermatter instead and Wookieepedia and Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections agree with me.

Listed under Propulsion.

There were entire planets that, throughout their history, did not expend as much power as an Imperial-class ship did in one hyperspace jump.[17] The hyperspace generator was located along the ship's ventral surface.[22] A massive solar ionization reactor bulged from the ventral spine, annihilating hypermatter as fuel to power the ship. Auxiliary reactors flanked the main reactor and the three reactors were connected to the three main engines. In addition, the backup engines were connected to additional reactors as well.

So I was right. They used hypermatter as fuel for the ionization process while the older ships and the DS1 and 2 used a type of hypermatter annihilation reactor.

Even though I really hope that the main reactor isn't the main size of the ISD. That would just make them very 'splodey. And ineffiecient. I mean, the Droid Control Ship, which was much bigger than an ISD, had a much smaller reactor. And it would contradict with what we've seen of the ISD's insides, namely when the Tantive IV is being tractored in.

Also, I read somewhere that a Solar Ionization reactor is a fusion reactor. Great. Now the SW writers can't even agree as to how a Solar Ionization reactor works. wallbash.gif

Even though I really hope that the main reactor isn't the main size of the ISD. That would just make them very 'splodey. And ineffiecient. I mean, the Droid Control Ship, which was much bigger than an ISD, had a much smaller reactor. And it would contradict with what we've seen of the ISD's insides, namely when the Tantive IV is being tractored in.

Also, I read somewhere that a Solar Ionization reactor is a fusion reactor. Great. Now the SW writers can't even agree as to how a Solar Ionization reactor works. wallbash.gif

Well from reading on the definition of ionization, it seems to fit the category of fusion.

Okay, how's this? the reactor fuses hypermatter to produce the energy needed for the solar ionization process.