News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

24th century firepower based on TDiC

He was explaining to Scotty that certain technology hasn't changed much since his day. He was trying to make Scotty feel that he's not outdated and worthless. I think.

He was explaining to Scotty that certain technology hasn't changed much since his day. He was trying to make Scotty feel that he's not outdated and worthless. I think.

Exactly. As Praeothmin said, the principles behind the technology of phaser and torpedoes hasn't changed much. They have obviously improved in effectiveness and power. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise.

Exactly. As Praeothmin said, the principles behind the technology of phaser and torpedoes hasn't changed much. They have obviously improved in effectiveness and power. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise.
Not necessarily B41 bomb ca.1960 25Mt compared to modern B83 bomb 1.2Mt. The B83 isnt even more efficient than a presumably ancient weapon designed in the 1950's.

Given that the UFP is run by pacifistic space hippies, it would seem to be entirely out of character for them to develop more powerful weapons, considering that the US and Russia havent, and both are much more militaristic than the UFP

Hhhmm, let me see:

So you're saying that we have to believe that, since Phasers and Torpedoes haven't changed much in the way they act between Kirk's era and Picard's era, that means that their power levels cannot have changed?

Ok, so then, I guess even though a .357 magnum still works the same way as a colt peacemaker (single loader, powder-propelled projectile), that they have the same power right? rolleyes.gif

Precisely, a .357 is only about 35% more powerful than a .45 Colt

He can mention it as long as he wants, it doesn't change the fact that their power capabilities can, and did, change even if the principle is the same... smile.gif

See my B41/B83 bomb comparison it may not be changing in the direction you think tongue.gif

It's irrelevant anyway, because the dialogue doesn't actually say anything about phasers and torpedoes. It's been a while since I've seen the episode, so I didn't remember the dialogue off hand. Mike DiCenso actually caught it and provided this quote from the episode over at SFJ:

"Well you know, that's interesting because I was just thinking that a lot of these systems haven't changed much in the last seventy five years. This transporter is basically the same system we use on the Enterprise. Subspace radio and sensors still operate under the same basic principle. Impulse engine design hasn't changed much in the last two hundred years. If it wasn't for all the structural damage, this ship might still be in service today."

It is also possible that and Cardassians and Romulans Star ships were using tricobalt devices instead Photon torpedoes in this design more planet attack. I also already said Galaxy class starship defector dish more power weapon anything Star Destroyer can give off.

It is also possible that and Cardassians and Romulans Star ships were using tricobalt devices instead Photon torpedoes in this design more planet attack. I also already said Galaxy class starship defector dish more power weapon anything Star Destroyer can give off.

True. And as I've said before; To be fair, we don't know the Romulan's definition of "destroyed". It could be anything from plowed up to vaporized.

True. And as I've said before; To be fair, we don't know the Romulan's definition of "destroyed". It could be anything from plowed up to vaporized.

Tyralak hits on the crux of the matter, and the reason I despise dialog when analyzing sci-fi.

Unless the characters are specific, have the training to know what they are talking about, and are in a position to actually use that training, it means about as much as when anyone speaks... I.E. nothing.

Of course, I'll be honest and admit that my own feelings regarding the unreliability of dialog tend to apply to all mediums. I know where I sit on the whole "show or tell" debate.

What weapons are being show in TDiC? I haven't seen it in a while, but I have an idea.

Precisely, a .357 is only about 35% more powerful than a .45 Colt

Why, thank you for proving my exact point with this statement... laugh.gif

See, 35% more powerful means exactly that:

The .357 Magnum is more powerful then the Colt Peacemaker, even though they still use the same basic principle, which is exactly my point concerning the Phasers and Torpedoes.

They can use the same basic principle but be more powerful at the same time... rolleyes.gif

Given that the UFP is run by pacifistic space hippies, it would seem to be entirely out of character for them to develop more powerful weapons, considering that the US and Russia havent, and both are much more militaristic than the UFP

Actually, while their weapons may not be more powerful, they have become a lot more efficient.

Also, your comparison is weak because, while they may both be more militaristic then the UFP, they have never encountered threats more powerful then them (see Borg, Dominion, etc...), requiring that they adjust their defensive and offensive capacities accordingly... grin.gif

It is also possible that and Cardassians and Romulans Star ships were using tricobalt devices instead Photon torpedoes in this design more planet attack. I also already said Galaxy class starship defector dish more power weapon anything Star Destroyer can give off, and have, as of yet, proven nothing and made myself look like an ass.

Fixed.

Fixed.

He also has not shown that a Star Destroyer can't take the energy he is talking about.

He also has not shown that a Star Destroyer can't take the energy he is talking about.

Nor shown that an SD cannot put out that energy. He hasn't even quantified the potential yield.