News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Tyralak's Avatar Review

Well, I finally saw this movie last night. For the most part, I was very impressed. First the bad, I'll get it out of the way so I can focus on the good parts of the story.

The main complaint I had was the ham-fisted way they pounded the Indian/European analogy that the story was based around. After a while it was like "Yes, I get it. The Na'vi are supposed to be the Indians and the Humans are the European settlers." It seemed like they had to make it as blatant as possible just in case you were too thick to get the comparison. It's also conspicuous, that all the Humans were Americans, and most were white. So, yes, we get the not so subtle implication. There was also a strong anti-capitalist message. (As there was with Wall-E) It's all the evil corporation's fault, and they destroyed the Earth, "killed their mother", etc, etc, etc. Mild annoyances, but par for the course with Hollywood these days. Mostly anti-American, anti capitalist messages. OK. Fine, whatever. The dialogue was a bit trite as well.

Now to the good parts. It was singlehandedly the most GORGEOUS movie I've ever seen. I've never seen over the top effects and CGI integration like this before. It was seamless, and stunning. I saw it in 3D, and the 3D effects were unbelievable. It was really hard to distinguish between real and CGI. I have to hand it to them. It was truly amazing. I also liked how the Na'vi were much, much larger than the Humans. It seems to be a trapping with a lot of sci-fi to have aliens and Humans be roughly the same size. It was also a major part of the story, that Pandora had a poisonous atmosphere to Humans. Although it was never mentioned what the atmosphere consisted of. (or why the fire burned the same color as it does in our atmosphere for that matter, but that's another discussion.) I found this interesting, and also part of the reason for creating the Avatar bodies. I'm going to avoid spoilers as much as possible, since I'm sure most of you haven't seen it. The creativity with the animal and plant forms were really amazing as well. They spent a lot of time with the creativity aspect of it. I would love to see some behind the scenes information on some of these plants and animals. The story was pretty creative, and had some very original aspects to it. I loved the mechs that the Humans used. They were just plain cool.

Pandora is an inhabited (conveniently) Earth-sized moon of Polyphemus, one of the three clearly fictional gas giants orbiting Alpha Centauri A. The trip from Earth in the movie was about 6 years, in cryo storage. Which is an odd thing to begin with. Alpha Centauri A is roughly 4.37 light years from Earth. To get there in 6 years, they wouldn't need FTL, but they would be traveling at relativistic speeds. Why they would need cryo storage baffles me. But I'll chalk it up to one of those things that wasn't thought through. The Humans were there mining a mineral referred to (jokingly) as "unobtanium". Although, they never revealed what made it so valuable. It looked just like a chunk of coal. RayCav said to him the movie looked like a cross between Ferngully and Pocahontas. I'd agree, except I think it's more like a Dances with Wolves/Ferngully crossover. All in all, it was a pretty good movie, if you can get past the heavy handed political lecturing.

When I first heard that they were making this movie I first thought maybe they were making a movie based on the Ultima series game or that it was about Avatar the last Airbender. smile.gif lol

No. It actually was a movie based on RayCav going around changing people's avatars to moronic political figures taking a dump.

No. It actually was a movie based on RayCav going around changing people's avatars to moronic political figures taking a dump.

Oh about one of Bushes many speeches. True it is like he's taking a dump on us all. smile.gif lol

Were the humans UAVS and other robots weapon system? US army with same number men and equipment do better.

When I first heard that they were making this movie I first thought maybe they were making a movie based on the Ultima series game or that it was about Avatar the last Airbender. smile.gif lol

I'll take the time to mention that there IS a Last Airbender movie coming out this summer. Done by M. Night Shyamalan. Could be amazing...or a huge flop. Either way! MORE AVTAR!!! HURAYYYY!!!!!

Were the humans UAVS and other robots weapon system? US army with same number men and equipment do better.

I don't seem to remember any robots per say. There were a lot of mechs, but no fully autonomous machines.

Just saw it last night.

It was Awesomesauce.jpg .

It was actually the most Awesomesauce.jpg that I've seen in quite some time.

I even liked more then Star Trek, which is saying a lot.

Yes, some characters are unidimentional, and the plot is quite simple, but then, so is human nature.

The plot works, because we humans are still acting as a bunch of simplistic, arrogant bunch of retard know-it-alls sometimes, especially when there's big money involved, and we're facing people we don't understand...

It was epic, visually the most stunning movie I have ever seen.

Cameron has raised the bars of movie making quite a few notches with this one...

Go see it, else you are idiots... tongue.gif

(that means you don't need to see it Jason)