News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
enigma

So, who have you ignored on this board.

With the handy feature on this board to ignore posts made by those you can't stand, have you used it? If so, who did you "plonk" into the ignored list?

Me, I've dumped JMSpock. He's been stewing in my igore list for at least a couple of weeks. smile.gif

With the handy feature on this board to ignore posts made by those you can't stand, have you used it? If so, who did you "plonk" into the ignored list?

Me, I've dumped JMSpock. He's been stewing in my igore list for at least a couple of weeks. smile.gif

I'm rather public when I plonk people. Jason and JillianWhatever are now on the list.

No one is on my list. I thought about putting Paul and that Pavle of Serbia guy on there, but I decided against it.

'Cause you can't refute what he's saying? tongue.gif

'Cause you can't refute what he's saying? tongue.gif

Not that. I'm not a good debater and it is hard to put down words I want to say but just looking at his posts, they just scream of BS. I bet he doesn't think that the DS doesn't have the raw power to destroy planets or crap like that. smile.gif

Believe me, when I started out in ASVS back in '97, I was die hard Trekkie and was even gullible to believe in Paul H Hacques JR's NRWD (No Restriction War Document). But eventually after reading the debates and the math used, I realized that ST has no way in hell a chance to beat SW save for the use of Q. smile.gif

Think about it, ships using turbolasers need to have bracing and energy disspating spacers to withstand explosion in the giga ton area.

Quote from SDN (words in italics (except the book name) are from Wong):

The Bounty Hunter Wars Book 2: Slave Ship, page 248 describes the recoil of a turbolaser cannon:

The laser cannons being mounted into the open skeletal frames required bracing and recoil-dissipation casings that would have withstood explosions measured in the giga-tonnage range. Anything less, and a single shot fired in battle would rip a destroyer or battle cruiser in two, a victim of its own lethal strength.

This implies that the energy release from a turbolaser cannon is comparable to the detonation of a bomb with a yield of at least one gigaton (one thousand megatons).

When faced with that. How can I keep a straight face when someone claims that a runabout can damage a frigate?

It's the SDN way.

The SDN way is to bash you over the head with facts and figures and proof. JMSpock and his ilk bashes you with fairies and unicorns and pixie dust. smile.gif

Edit: As I mentioned previously, I'm not much of a debater. I just try my best. smile.gif

Not that. I'm not a good debater and it is hard to put down words I want to say but just looking at his posts, they just scream of BS. I bet he doesn't think that the DS doesn't have the raw power to destroy planets or crap like that. smile.gif

Believe me, when I started out in ASVS back in '97, I was die hard Trekkie and was even gullible to believe in Paul H Hacques JR's NRWD (No Restriction War Document). But eventually after reading the debates and the math used, I realized that ST has no way in hell a chance to beat SW save for the use of Q. smile.gif

Think about it, ships using turbolasers need to have bracing and energy disspating spacers to withstand explosion in the giga ton area.

Quote from SDN (words in italics (except the book name) are from Wong):

When faced with that. How can I keep a straight face when someone claims that a runabout can damage a frigate?

And what about the other EU references where you see an Executor ship firing full power at Yavin four and only accomplish setting less then a square km on fire?

The problem with Wong and SDN is that they bombard you with the quotes that agree with them, dismiss all other evidence that doesn't, and use the weakest incidents in Trek while ignoring the higher ones.

The discussion I had with InvaderSkooj about the lack of Kiloton firepower displayed by the Slave-one's weapons on asteroids and how that jumped right in the face of the ICS is a flagrant example of that.

ICS says Kiloton weapons for Slave-one, asteroid effects says much, much less, for weapons that were intended to destroy the target they fired upon...

That's how I keep a straight face, because I use the same method to analyze both franchises, and not the so often used double-standards...

The best example is that everyone at SDN systematically refuses anything coming from Darkstar.

It doesn't matter if some of it makes sense, and is logically presented.

It is flat out dismissed because of the person who created the articles, not because of their value or lack off in a logical and factual way...

I don't believe the Feds could win, but not because I believe an ISD could destroy the entire UFP single-handed, but because the Empire has something the UFP doesn't:

The DS.

But one on one, their ships are pretty equal, and the fleet numbers the Empire could bring to the War isn't in the millions, but probably closer to the thousands, just like the Feds...

But that's another discussion... wink.gif

The SDN way is to bash you over the head with facts and figures and proof.

Nope, the SDN way is to bash you over the head with their interpretations of facts, figures and proof, while ignoring the majority of the facts that contradict their beliefs...

Nope, the SDN way is to bash you over the head with their interpretations of facts, figures and proof, while ignoring the majority of the facts that contradict their beliefs...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Good luck with that. smile.gif Come back to me after you've taken your meds. smile.gif

The reference to sing bracing and spacers to deal with gigaton range laser weaponry fits well in hand to the ISD's vaporizing asteroids ranging up to around 80 meters if not more.

Since movies trump all then the quote from the novel supports the movie quite nicely.

Oh and we can't forget this from theforce.net

Shields

The Executor's shielding defences were one of its most formidable features [according to the Williamson Classic STAR WARS comic strips]. The ship was considered virtually unassailable in the years between the battles of Yavin and Hoth. During the Battle of Endor, Admiral Ackbar realised that the mighty flagship could be defeated if his Calamarian cruisers subjected the shields to an especially concerted barrage, resulting in shield failure and exposure of sensitive structures (eg. bridge and scanner globes) to pinpoint starfighter strafing.

In the present literature there are few quantitative indications of the Executor's precise shield strength. We know that a deliberate and concentrated bombardment by somewhere between half a dozen and two dozen Mon Calamari cruisers caused shield failure within a matter of minutes. Unfortunately we can't quantify the shield capacity directly because we don't yet know the maximum output of Mon Calamari warships' guns. To total yield of Ackbar's barrage was probably the equivalent of a continual bombardment by a comparable number of Imperial star destroyers over the same time period.

This upper limit on the shield capacity is complemented by a lower limit provided by the Classic STAR WARS comics, which chronicle an accident in which Admiral Griff's three destroyers or light cruisers (of at least one mile length) collided with the particle shields at presumably relativistic speeds (during reentry from hyperspace). The three impactors were annihilated, and Executor was unscathed but suffered serious temporary shield loss, requiring it to delay its mission.

The image of this incident carries interesting hints about the dynamics of particle shields. The fireballs from the collided ships were flattened along a smooth surface that stands several hundred metres above Executor's dorsal cortex. This presumably is the depth into the field at which the velocities of the fastest debris particles were damped to zero velocity relative to Executor. It may be representative of an equipotential surface corresponding to the kinetic energy or momentum density of the impactors.

imp2.gif

Three star destroyers emerge from hyperspace directly into a collision with the
Executor
. The huge warship's shields absorb the energy of the relativistic impact, at a range of up to a kilometre, and the destroyers are instantly pulverised.

My posts haven't gotten much attention lately.... I must be on someone's ignore list. *waves arms wildly* Someone, please, LOOK AT ME!!! angry.gif

I don't use the ignore list. I wouldn't be a very good host if I did. biggrin.gif Plus, I don't believe in Plonking. biggrin.gif

I don't use the ignore list. I wouldn't be a very good host if I did. biggrin.gif Plus, I don't believe in Plonking. biggrin.gif

Neither did I. I just realized that my self control was a lot less than I'd like it to be. So, I enforced it on myself.

I used to be a lot better.

I'm too lazy to do it. Besides, if I didn't put that Stardestroyer troll (whatever his name was) on ignore, then the rest of you have nothing to worry about. Granted, I've hardly browsed the site as of late, for all I know we have 2 more of him.

I'm too lazy to do it. Besides, if I didn't put that Stardestroyer troll (whatever his name was) on ignore, then the rest of you have nothing to worry about. Granted, I've hardly browsed the site as of late, for all I know we have 2 more of him.

No one just like him, no. However, Jason and Jilian Bacardi, or whatever, are nearly as annoying.