News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

How good is Stromtrooper armor anyway.

I have never seen it provide any real protect in battle.

Why don't you sit down with a spreadsheet and the films and tell us?

How would you go about determining how "good" it is?

I have never seen it provide any real protect in battle.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

In the battle versus the Ewoks, it did provide (limited) protection against the attacks from the Ewoks.

Case in point, while I still believe modern Football equipment would offer better protection against kinetic attacks, it still took a few blows for each Stormtrooper to go down.

We also saw an Ewok arrow bounce off the shoulder pad of one Scoutrooper armor, just before we saw an arrow go through another.

Of course, these armors weren't designed with "primitive" weapons in mind, since they were used by a space faring civilization to fight against other identical civilizations, pretty much all using powerful energy weapons.

There was a discussion on this subject a while back ( a few years actually) on another site, where it was posited that the armor was simply made to protect against weak blows, low-powered weapons, glancing hits (such as Leia's arm injury) and indirect explosions (such as shrapnel from an exploding wall)...

So while it does not offer the protection of, say, a Terminator armor, I for one would prefer to have one over no having it, although perhaps with better visibility... laugh.gif

Remember, the Empire considered all its troops as expendable, so while it was logical to protect them somewhat, equipping them with the best money can buy would go againts their philosophy (and probably mean leaving an exhaust port unarmored where nay idiot could fling a torpedo)... tongue.gif

That is a pretty important point. These are clones, I can't imagine the empire has too much concern for their general welfare. They give them the basics for their job and view them as a commodity. They clearly don't place the value on their personell that Starfleet or even the Klingons do.

They clearly don't place the value on their personell that Starfleet or even the Klingons do.
The same people who send their troops into battle with no armor blink.gif

I think Stromtrooper armor would provide protect against a knife or a axes maybe not much more.

I think Stromtrooper armor would provide protect against a knife or a axes maybe not much more.

Evidence please? Preferably statistical, with multiple incidents from multiple movies and I'd like to see it explained, rather than in a link to Darkstar's site.

If they were glancing blows, I agree.

Although, judging how well (blink.gif ) they fared against the Ewoks, I'd say it could protect only against a direct hit from a knife... If only in a limited way...

In clone wars they show Stromtrooper armor allow live short amount time in space.

go to iRaq and give it a test eont hurt

Urgle Murgle Burgle Gurgle?

It seems like one of the Star Wars novels I read suggested that it would protect against some blaster attacks (except apparently the hero's). It has been awhile since I read any of the novels tho.

It seems like one of the Star Wars novels I read suggested that it would protect against some blaster attacks (except apparently the hero's). It has been awhile since I read any of the novels tho.

So I guess the Rebels on the Tantive IV were all heroes?

the Rebel strike force at Endor were also all Heroes?

Because the armor didn't protect the Stormtroopers from their weapons very much... laugh.gif