News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

If instead of Death star plans on a Nova Class starship how would Vader aim to got back plans.

I could see this being Vader hard mission yet. Even if a Star destroyer can over power Nova class starship that Star Terk and Star war fans debate over. You still need to deal with fact that the crew of a Nova Class starship can fight back. The storm troopers better be careful were shot because could blow that starship by mistake. UFP weapons work better in close on a starship then Empire does.

You do know that the Empire uses ion cannons? Zap zap and the ship is a floating husk. Tractor the ship and begin boarding parties.

Massive Ion cannons, I might add. Though, in the EU it is implied that shields have been adapted to block out ion canon fire, so the Nebula Class Ship could, conceivably, counteract that strategy.

Massive Ion cannons, I might add. Though, in the EU it is implied that shields have been adapted to block out ion canon fire, so the Nebula Class Ship could, conceivably, counteract that strategy.

Ion Storms

Depending on the severity of the storms, it could either just toss the ships about up to completely destroying it. So depending how strong the Ion cannon is, it could shut it down or outright destroy it.

First of all, Jason mentioned a Nova-class ship, the Oberth's replacement, so I don't see it having much more success then the Tantive IV...

The troops will be a bit better then the Rebel soldiers, but they're still heavily outnumbered...

About the Ion cannons, we need to know if they work on the same principle as the Breen weapon, which acted, upon impact, strangely like an Ion cannon shot.

If they do, then the Federations ships are now immune to those weapons, so even powerful ones might have their effectiveness reduced on Fed ships...

First of all, Jason mentioned a Nova-class ship, the Oberth's replacement, so I don't see it having much more success then the Tantive IV...

The troops will be a bit better then the Rebel soldiers, but they're still heavily outnumbered...

About the Ion cannons, we need to know if they work on the same principle as the Breen weapon, which acted, upon impact, strangely like an Ion cannon shot.

If they do, then the Federations ships are now immune to those weapons, so even powerful ones might have their effectiveness reduced on Fed ships...

The Breen weapon works differently than the ion cannon. Besides shutting down the ship it also acts like acid, eating away at the ship.

Iron cannon might destroy Nova class starship. Even if does disable the Nova Class starship with out it warp core exploding. I could think some ways they could at least make Vader pay heavy cost. A longer number of UFP crew could use replication TR-116 rifles be beam to places that have no entrance by us of the Transporter. Strom troopers would get hit sniper bullets left and right they not are able see the enemy they are fighting in any case Dark Vader would have to watch his back as will. Also in places people need to craw order for them got their and out could be hiding. After all the UFP weapons so much better fighting on a starship then Star Wars weapons are. Special when places you have to craw to got in and out, They also would be wise for them to disable Transporters before Strom troops broad the Nove class starship could not use them.

The Breen weapon works differently than the ion cannon. Besides shutting down the ship it also acts like acid, eating away at the ship.

You're right, reading the description of the Breen weapon at Memory Alpha, it says this weapon acted on the power source of a ship, in this case, the Warp Cores, because the solution was by modifying the "intermix" in the core, while an Ion Cannon really works as an EMP generator shooting out EMP bolts...

Anyways, it doesn't change the fact that the ISD in ANH did not use those cannons, nor did it need them to capture the Tantive IV.

And I really don't think it would need them to capture the Nova-class ship.

The capture may take more time since the ship is a bit more maneuverable, but still, capture it the ISD would.

And then the Fed personnel inside would not put up much more of a fight then the Rebels did... dry.gif

So Vader still gets the ship, except Artoo and C3PO get beamed of the ship to the planet, and the Empire gets great new technology to add to their ships.

Case closed... cool.gif

Imagine the Empire beaming entire legions of forces and vehicules to the battlefield, or retrieving them to redeploy at their leisure... laugh.gif

You're right, reading the description of the Breen weapon at Memory Alpha, it says this weapon acted on the power source of a ship, in this case, the Warp Cores, because the solution was by modifying the "intermix" in the core, while an Ion Cannon really works as an EMP generator shooting out EMP bolts...

Anyways, it doesn't change the fact that the ISD in ANH did not use those cannons, nor did it need them to capture the Tantive IV.

And I really don't think it would need them to capture the Nova-class ship.

The capture may take more time since the ship is a bit more maneuverable, but still, capture it the ISD would.

And then the Fed personnel inside would not put up much more of a fight then the Rebels did... dry.gif

So Vader still gets the ship, except Artoo and C3PO get beamed of the ship to the planet, and the Empire gets great new technology to add to their ships.

Case closed... cool.gif

Imagine the Empire beaming entire legions of forces and vehicules to the battlefield, or retrieving them to redeploy at their leisure... laugh.gif

Wow, that actually sounds a bit scary. GOODBYE REBELLION!

You forget many things. UFP personal know their ship inside out. All UFP starship so far as I have tunnels thought out that starships. Disable transporters and erase memory all the information would only take a few seconds.

You forget many things. UFP personal know their ship inside out. All UFP starship so far as I have tunnels thought out that starships. Disable transporters and erase memory all the information would only take a few seconds.

Okay, we'll consider this for a second or two, even if it is unlikely to be pulled off, we'll consider it. Transporters only have a range of 40, 000 kms. That kind of limits the destination of those inside. Add to that the fact that the imps now have control of the ship so the feds could not transport back to the ship, and you have utter failure. At BEST you have the same outcome ANH, though it is unlikely because there would be no droids to lead to Luke, thus no help from Ben, Han, or Chewie. The worst case scenario is that the imps can track the signal of the transporter to the destination on the planet, and have stormies in hot pursuit within the hour. This plan is illogical.

An interesting point to consider:

ST ships use ACTIVE containment on their power systems, and those systems emphatically do not fail safe.

I suspect that the use of Ion Cannons of Federation ships would be worse for them than shooting them with turbolasers.

Iron cannon might destroy Nova class starship. Even if does disable the Nova Class starship with out it warp core exploding. I could think some ways they could at least make Vader pay heavy cost. A longer number of UFP crew could use replication TR-116 rifles be beam to places that have no entrance by us of the Transporter. Strom troopers would get hit sniper bullets left and right they not are able see the enemy they are fighting in any case Dark Vader would have to watch his back as will. Also in places people need to craw order for them got their and out could be hiding. After all the UFP weapons so much better fighting on a starship then Star Wars weapons are. Special when places you have to craw to got in and out, They also would be wise for them to disable Transporters before Strom troops broad the Nove class starship could not use them.

No they would not use the TR-116 as that was a prototype and was dropped in favour of an upgraded phaser rifle.

The Redshirts would never succeed in transporting over to the ISD as that would be suicide or at least leave them vulnerable to stun weapons that the Stormtroopers would have (that is if they wanted prisoners). The Empire's stormtroopers tactics are more than the Federation's "Stand and Deliver" method of fighting.

You think that having the crew hiding in the Jeffries tubes is a viable method of defense? You'd think that Vader will let them go because the crew scurried into hiding like cockroaches?

Stormtrooper #1 "Lord Vader! The crew of that ship have hid themselves in the bowels of their ship!"

Vader *shakes fist in the air* "Curses! Foiled again! Oh well, let us take at once. To the Death Star post haste!"

Since the Nova class ship is not from the Rebellion, therefore Vader has no need of taking the ship intact to get to the plans. All he needs to do is blow that Nova ship into atoms.

The Empire's stormtroopers tactics are more stupid and straighforward than the Federation's "Stand and Deliver" method of fighting, but their superior numbers will help them overtake the redshirts eventually.

There, corrected it for ya... wink.gif

All he needs to do is blow that Nova ship into atoms.

While I doubt it would be very difficult to do for an ISD, I do believe the reason why Vader wanted the ship in the first place was also to ascertain that the Rebels hadn't been able to send the data to someone else by checking the ships communications' logs...

An interesting point to consider:

ST ships use ACTIVE containment on their power systems, and those systems emphatically do not fail safe.

I suspect that the use of Ion Cannons of Federation ships would be worse for them than shooting them with turbolasers.

If ion cannons would really have that effect. We still have to deal with the fact that if ion cannons were that effective, and could do that kind of damage, they would be the weapon of choice with all the Trek raves. Blast them with an ion cannon, lower their shields, finish them off with phasers or wait for the reactor to go critical. Because that isn't the case, it's logical to conclude that ion cannons aren't particularly effective aginst Trek shielding.

If ion cannons would really have that effect. We still have to deal with the fact that if ion cannons were that effective, and could do that kind of damage, they would be the weapon of choice with all the Trek raves. Blast them with an ion cannon, lower their shields, finish them off with phasers or wait for the reactor to go critical. Because that isn't the case, it's logical to conclude that ion cannons aren't particularly effective aginst Trek shielding.

Incorrect. Read my post about ion storms. Same thing except ion cannons are just weaponised ions. lol smile.gif

The least it would do is make it difficult for the ship to travel and the worst it could do is destroy the ship. Even the Borg are not immune.

Incorrect. Read my post about ion storms. Same thing except ion cannons are just weaponised ions. lol smile.gif

The least it would do is make it difficult for the ship to travel and the worst it could do is destroy the ship. Even the Borg are not immune.

Except that there's more then likely to be a huge difference in power between a Space-born Ion Storm, and the power of Ion cannons.

What you're saying is like saying:

"Well, since your 110V radio cannot resist a lightning bolt, its in-built surge protector won't protect it against 220V (even though it's rated up to 240V)..."

laugh.gif

Except that there's more then likely to be a huge difference in power between a Space-born Ion Storm, and the power of Ion cannons.

What you're saying is like saying:

"Well, since your 110V radio cannot resist a lightning bolt, its in-built surge protector won't protect it against 220V (even though it's rated up to 240V)..."

laugh.gif

Are you saying that Fed ships are immune to ion activities and the SW ships are not? Let me guess, ST ships are immune to all lasers because turbolasers are lasers. Right?

Are you saying that Fed ships are immune to ion activities and the SW ships are not? Let me guess, ST ships are immune to all lasers because turbolasers are lasers. Right?

Nope, I'm saying that we don't know if the Ion cannons would be more effective, as effective, or less effective on Fed ships as they are on SW ships...

Like I said, just because they're vulnerable to Ion Storms, doesn't mean they'd be "Insta-Zapped" vs Ion Cannons...

If Ion Cannons are so powerful, then why aren't they always used in combat in SW.

Perhaps it's because they are not much of a threat vs shielded ships, for example, which would be logical, since an Ion pulse is nothing more then ionized particles, much like plasma, and we all know plasma weapons don't automatically go through Fed ships when fired at them...

Depends on the power... cool.gif

Nope, I'm saying that we don't know if the Ion cannons would be more effective, as effective, or less effective on Fed ships as they are on SW ships...

Like I said, just because they're vulnerable to Ion Storms, doesn't mean they'd be "Insta-Zapped" vs Ion Cannons...

If Ion Cannons are so powerful, then why aren't they always used in combat in SW.

Perhaps it's because they are not much of a threat vs shielded ships, for example, which would be logical, since an Ion pulse is nothing more then ionized particles, much like plasma, and we all know plasma weapons don't automatically go through Fed ships when fired at them...

True. And the brief research I did yesterday showed only ONE episode in the whole of trek which mentioned ion cannons. It was a voyager episode called Resistance. I haven't got a chance to watch it yet, but from what I read they were being threatened by an array of 85 planet based pulsed ion cannons. I hope to watch it this evening.

If the UFP crew could beam of the starship and set off the auto-self-destruct codes blow Nova class starship while Lord Vader is on that Nova class starship. Doing that would most likely do some damage to a Star Destroyer.

And I didn't say one shot was all it was needed. It's not a planetary based ion cannon. smile.gif

Just take down the shields and zap them constantly with the ion cannons. smile.gif

If the UFP crew could beam of the starship and set off the auto-self-destruct codes blow Nova class starship while Lord Vader is on that Nova class starship. Doing that would most likely do some damage to a Star Destroyer.

Where would they beam to? Outer space? The ISD? That isn't victory. That is beating Vader to the punch.. You don't think Vader would know something was up from the Force that the Nova crew was planning to destroy the ship? Besides that, once the ship is disabled from the ion cannons, the self destruct would not work as the computers would have been shut down.

Where would they beam to? Outer space? The ISD? That isn't victory. That is beating Vader to the punch.. You don't think Vader would know something was up from the Force that the Nova crew was planning to destroy the ship? Besides that, once the ship is disabled from the ion cannons, the self destruct would not work as the computers would have been shut down.

Lord Vader want the plans back in one piece. If the ion cannon work and the compters are off line in UFP starship. The UFP starship will blow up. Vader wants plans back in one piece he will not use the iron cannon.

Computers may be offline but doesn't mean the warp core containment would fail too. And even if it was going to fail then they have a manual override which will let the crew eject the core.

Game over.

If Vader treats the Nove ship like any other SW ship then of course the ion cannon would be used or at least the light turbolaser batteries. He'll quickly realize that he used too much power and ends up destroying the Nova.

You'll realize that there's a chance that the crew would decide to surrender and erase all info about the DS? Vader comes on board and fins out the plans are not in the ship and maybe.................maybe would let the crew go minus a couple due to force chokes.