News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Emperor vs. Cthulhu

Yes, a little off topic for the area, but what the hell. I'm doing this kind of tongue in cheek anyway. I'd like to see the mental gymnastics Warsies can do to find a way for the Emperor to win. After all, they figure the Emperor can defeat Galacticus, so I'm sure they can find a way for him to win against a Great Old One. laugh.gif

Ok but there is nothing mentioning his abilities. For all I know he could just be an oversized bastard of a human and octopus.

Well, the Emperor can create Force Storms large enough to destroy entire battle fleets, in the EU, so I see little reason he couldn't defeat Cthulu. The massive Force Storm should do the trick, kill the Emperor, as well, though.

Well, the Emperor can create Force Storms large enough to destroy entire battle fleets, in the EU, so I see little reason he couldn't defeat Cthulu. The massive Force Storm should do the trick, kill the Emperor, as well, though.

Well, Chtulu is one of the "Great Old Ones" (seen in Wikipedia)cry.gif

The Great Old Ones are ancient extraterrestrial beings of immense power, and most are also colossal in size. These entities seem to have a physical shape, but being cosmic lifeforms from beyond our space-time continuum means they are not based on matter in our definition of the concept, yet their forms are built on principles similar enough to those of true matter that they appear to be material in their nature. They are worshipped by deranged human cults, as well as by most of the non-human races of the mythos. The Great Old Ones are currently imprisoned—a few beneath the sea, some inside the Earth, and still others in distant planetary systems and beyond.

I don't think that Palpatine's Force Storms are going to be much of a threat against him... tongue.gif

Well, Chtulu is one of the "Great Old Ones" (seen in Wikipedia)cry.gif

I don't think that Palpatine's Force Storms are going to be much of a threat against him... tongue.gif

Ummm....maybe I'm misinterpreting, but that says nothing about them being invincible, or impervious to storms of Force Energy. Sure, they are colossal in size, but so is a FLEET of warships.

Ummm....maybe I'm misinterpreting, but that says nothing about them being invincible, or impervious to storms of Force Energy. Sure, they are colossal in size, but so is a FLEET of warships.

This is the key phrase: These entities seem to have a physical shape, but being cosmic lifeforms from beyond our space-time continuum means they are not based on matter in our definition of the concept, yet their forms are built on principles similar enough to those of true matter that they appear to be material in their nature.

It's been a while since I've read The Call of Cthulhu or Lovecraft's other works. High school, actually. Anyone here read any more recently than 15 years ago? tongue.gif

This is the key phrase: These entities seem to have a physical shape, but being cosmic lifeforms from beyond our space-time continuum means they are not based on matter in our definition of the concept, yet their forms are built on principles similar enough to those of true matter that they appear to be material in their nature.

It's been a while since I've read The Call of Cthulhu or Lovecraft's other works. High school, actually. Anyone here read any more recently than 15 years ago? tongue.gif

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be effected. It just means that we do not how it would be effected.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be effected. It just means that we do not how it would be effected.

O_rlyeh_2.jpg

H. P. Lovecraft's stories have passed into public domain, if I am not mistaken. This site claims to have his entire works posted so if you feel the need to brush up on Great Cthulhu, just follow the link!

That being said, I believe that near the end of The Call of Cthulhu, Mighty Cthulhu was laid low by a solid ship-ramming, so ol' Palpie could, in fact wipe the floor with him. Pity, really. sad.gif

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

H. P. Lovecraft's stories have passed into public domain, if I am not mistaken. This site claims to have his entire works posted so if you feel the need to brush up on Great Cthulhu, just follow the link!

That being said, I believe that near the end of The Call of Cthulhu, Mighty Cthulhu was laid low by a solid ship-ramming, so ol' Palpie could, in fact wipe the floor with him. Pity, really. sad.gif

http://www.dagonbyte...rary/lovecraft/

He was indeed, except for the fact that, after the ramming incident, he was regenerating and reforming himself cry.gif

For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where - God in heaven! - the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form,

emot-iiam.gif

One has to wonder how many such storms could the Emperor whip up...

Also, how did the Emperor succeed in becoming so powerful in the EU, when he was shown to be such a whimp in the RotJ and RotS?

He was indeed, except for the fact that, after the ramming incident, he was regenerating and reforming himself cry.gif

emot-iiam.gif

One has to wonder how many such storms could the Emperor whip up...

Also, how did the Emperor succeed in becoming so powerful in the EU, when he was shown to be such a whimp in the RotJ and RotS?

Umm, wimp? He beat Yoda, technically, at the very least it was a draw, and killed three other Jedi while putting up a decent fight against Windu. There are theories that he let Windu beat him, in order to help turn Anakin. Remember, he did nearly kill Luke in RotJ, and was the cause of Vader's death, the two most powerful Force users in the history of the entire Galaxy. Not a wimp, no.

Anyway, I believe his method for gaining power was described at point, though I do not recall when, where, or how. Basically, that last sentence was irrelevant.

Umm, wimp? He beat Yoda, technically, at the very least it was a draw, and killed three other Jedi while putting up a decent fight against Windu. There are theories that he let Windu beat him, in order to help turn Anakin. Remember, he did nearly kill Luke in RotJ, and was the cause of Vader's death, the two most powerful Force users in the history of the entire Galaxy. Not a wimp, no.

Anyway, I believe his method for gaining power was described at point, though I do not recall when, where, or how. Basically, that last sentence was irrelevant.

He couldn't kill Luke very quickly, his lightning didn't seem that powerful in the fact that Luke still had enough strength to cry out for his father for almost a full minute before Vader killed Palpy.

The three Jedi he killed, I could have killed easily too, they were standing there waiting for him to strike... rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, I meant a whimp compared to the "Force-Storm" throwing Palpatine... tongue.gif

I was aware that Cthulu was reforming, hence I didn't say that he had been killed. Here's my take:

We don't know how many force storms can be whipped up, but it wouldn't require a fleet-destroying tempest to tear apart Cthulhu. If the emperor withdraws and permanently stations an AT-AT to blast Cthulhu whenever he coagulates, or tosses him into a volcano, is that a victory for him, or is absolute destruction required?

If the latter, this question is impossible to answer. Obviously Cthulhu isn't invulnerable, in fact he has been imprisoned for untold millennium waiting for the "stars to be right". Can the emperor destroy stars? Are we even referring to stars as we understand it, or could an older astrological definition include planets? If so, the Death Star would solve that in a hurry.

Tl;dr: More info from the OP, please.

Are we even referring to stars as we understand it, or could an older astrological definition include planets? If so, the Death Star would solve that in a hurry.

laugh.gif

Also, I agree, in view of what we read, that the "Strom-Throwing" Emperor could beat the incarnation of Chtulu that was presented, up until he died and then Chtulu would reform and go somewhere else to be "entertained"... wink.gif

But if we are talking about the Movies Palpatine, I doubt he would do much more then aggravate Chtulu with his lightning, and all Chtulu would need to do is tear Palpy apart with his claws... Unless Palpy isn't too arrogant and realizes that he needs his Lightsabre to cut up the great beast in front of him... huh.gif