News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

NEWS: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm. Star Wars Episode VII in 2015.

Wow. This honestly matches a prediction I had in 2007. Disney buying Lucasfilm, and then will buy either CBS or Paramount (or both). The prediction got worse from there, as it also lead to something along the lines of TFC, only, Disney-fied.

Wow. This honestly matches a prediction I had in 2007. Disney buying Lucasfilm, and then will buy either CBS or Paramount (or both). The prediction got worse from there, as it also lead to something along the lines of TFC, only, Disney-fied.

Yeah, that's beyond disturbing. Here's an interview with the man himself on the subject.

TFC? What's that?

I actually see this as a potential positive. If you look at the last few Marvel movies, especially the ones that hadn't really started yet when the Disney acquisition happened, you can point to a commitment to quality. They're not Shakespeare but they're far from the agony of Elektra and X-Men Last Stand. Disney doesn't make awful movies if they can help it. I felt a bit underwhelmed by Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides but I didn't exactly feel cheated either. I could nit pick a lot of things I didn't care for but it was a net enjoyable experience. They can make a pretty darn good PG-13 action adventure that won't win awards but will be worth the price of admission.

I do believe that this will further move the novels, comics and games into a more distant form of canon as a seventh movie almost can't take place during a period of time described in the EU. Unless they go the route of The Old Republic MMO and set it during a time when no iconic characters are around and the EU is sparse to nonexistent, which is a gamble. If this really is Episode VII then it probably is a sequel though, in which case it will tread on the EU. This isn't such a bad thing though, as with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while there will be those who cry desecration of the sacred, using the old mythology to create a new mythology that pays homage to the past while going in its own direction is not necessarily a horrible thing.

Finally, George Lucas is a brilliant world builder and a terrible director. He's still in the picture to some degree but in the role that made A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and to a slightly lesser extent, The Return of the Jedi such wonderful films: feeding ideas to people who (hopefully) will be skilled at making them come alive.

Now we might even see that live action series that was hung in limbo for years now because of cost. We can only hope since our last, best hope for space opera, good, bad or otherwise, Syfy won't cough up the cash to do anything more than give people the cameras and cassette recorders to film themselves wandering creaky old houses.

If they fit it into the first 5 years after the movies, they have a little lee-way without stepping all over the EU.

Or they can jump 60-70 years ahead, and allude to things that have happened in the EU. Neither will happen, but they COULD happen.

We will see.

TFC? What's that?

Trek Wars: The Furry Conflict. Basically, Star Trek-vs.-Star Wars, but with anthropomorphic animals (aka "furries"). Ran from 1999 to 2009.

Wow. Just wow. This is stellar!

7 8 and 9 on the way. This is both an excitable and worrying time!

I wonder what direction they will take it in, this is a continuation after all.

TFC? What's that?

I actually see this as a potential positive. If you look at the last few Marvel movies, especially the ones that hadn't really started yet when the Disney acquisition happened, you can point to a commitment to quality. They're not Shakespeare but they're far from the agony of Elektra and X-Men Last Stand. Disney doesn't make awful movies if they can help it. I felt a bit underwhelmed by Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides but I didn't exactly feel cheated either. I could nit pick a lot of things I didn't care for but it was a net enjoyable experience. They can make a pretty darn good PG-13 action adventure that won't win awards but will be worth the price of admission.

I do believe that this will further move the novels, comics and games into a more distant form of canon as a seventh movie almost can't take place during a period of time described in the EU. Unless they go the route of The Old Republic MMO and set it during a time when no iconic characters are around and the EU is sparse to nonexistent, which is a gamble. If this really is Episode VII then it probably is a sequel though, in which case it will tread on the EU. This isn't such a bad thing though, as with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while there will be those who cry desecration of the sacred, using the old mythology to create a new mythology that pays homage to the past while going in its own direction is not necessarily a horrible thing.

Finally, George Lucas is a brilliant world builder and a terrible director. He's still in the picture to some degree but in the role that made A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and to a slightly lesser extent, The Return of the Jedi such wonderful films: feeding ideas to people who (hopefully) will be skilled at making them come alive.

Now we might even see that live action series that was hung in limbo for years now because of cost. We can only hope since our last, best hope for space opera, good, bad or otherwise, Syfy won't cough up the cash to do anything more than give people the cameras and cassette recorders to film themselves wandering creaky old houses.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any. A large amount of the EU is a goat screw anyway.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any. A large amount of the EU is a goat screw anyway.

YOU WILL TAKE THAT BACK THIS INSTANT! I DEMAND IT!

:loktar:

What? It's true. I mean, aside from Zahn and the Han Solo trilogy, most of the EU is the equivalent of taking a dump on a typewriter.

:loktar:

What? It's true. I mean, aside from Zahn and the Han Solo trilogy, most of the EU is the equivalent of taking a dump on a typewriter.

QOTW!

Wow. Did not expect that.

:cheers:

So, how long until Disney buys ST as well?

So, how long until Disney buys ST as well?

Probably never. CBS isn't letting go of that cash cow.

I think this is one of the best steps taken for star wars. I hope this leads to a slew of good products for the franchise. Even though I enjoyed many of them. The rogue leader games, star wars empire at war, the republic commandos and other pc games. There have been many turds produced by the franchise. Disney has handled marvel very responsibly and I hope they take the same care with star wars. If i had the money i'd buy it out and put very talented people in charge of the different aspects.

I don't want to live in a world where this is true!

It will be nice to finish up the last trilogy, but Disney is going to rape this franchise.