News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

My XBOX broke again.

This pisses me off. My 360 suddenly decided to stop reading discs. I put a disc in the drive, it says "reading" makes a slight noise, then says "open tray". Does this with every disc. I bought it refurbished in June, so of course there isn't any warranty. (That's the last time I try to save a few bucks) So, it's either pay $99, send it back to Microsoft and hope it doesn't just break again. Or spend $299 on a new one. mad.gif

Stick to PS3. I've yet to hear complaints about PS3's stability. Yes it is pricey, but get a 60GB model from Ebay and you should have no trouble. smile.gif

PS3 looks good, but changing platforms has some disadvantages. 1. Pissed off kids who wouldn't get to play certain games. 2. I have a lot of $$ invested in 360 titles. 3. No more playing Halo with Mirah. sad.gif

I wonder if the newer models have the reliability issues fixed, or if they're all the same junk under the hood? Oh and as far as the Wii goes, I had one but I more or less permenantly loaned it to the ex-wife so they could have something to play there.

How old was your 360?

I got it from a company that deals in refurbished 360s. The first one I got had some issues within the first month, so I sent it back and they replaced it. This one worked flawlessly until today when it stopped reading discs. The manufacture date on this one is 12/26/07. I thought I was getting a hell of a deal, because it came with a 20GB HD and a new copy of Halo 3 for $185. I guess I didn't.

I got it from a company that deals in refurbished 360s. The first one I got had some issues within the first month, so I sent it back and they replaced it. This one worked flawlessly until today when it stopped reading discs. The manufacture date on this one is 12/26/07. I thought I was getting a hell of a deal, because it came with a 20GB HD and a new copy of Halo 3 for $185. I guess I didn't.

Unfortunately, and this is based on my friend's experience with his brand new units, you could have had the same issue even with a brand new XBOX 360.

My friend got issues with his two units (he bought the basic one when it came out, broke twice, and then he bought the "Pro" model when it came out, broke once).

Like Grandtheftcow said, don't buy such crap (not eaxactly his words, but same meaning)... laugh.gif

*shrugs* my 360 lasted for years then finally croaked (course that could of been because i tinkered with it hehe).

I say buy new NOT refurbished ^^

You're definently right Paul. Lesson learned. However, it looks like someone at work is going to fix it for me. He said that this is a common problem and it's an easy fix. So, we'll see if he can do it. If he can't, at worst I'm back where I started.

You're definently right Paul. Lesson learned. However, it looks like someone at work is going to fix it for me. He said that this is a common problem and it's an easy fix. So, we'll see if he can do it. If he can't, at worst I'm back where I started.

As long as it's not RROD and its a problem with the drive yeah any tech should be able too. If its RROD in almost every case you're screwed ^^

As long as it's not RROD and its a problem with the drive yeah any tech should be able too. If its RROD in almost every case you're screwed ^^

It's not the RROD, thankfully. It's just a hard drive read error. Well, he saved me $99, so I'm definitely happy. biggrin.gif

Well, it finally bit the dust. I really don't have the money for a new slim, so I bought a used one from gamestop for $130 including tax.