News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Thought experiment and possible STO Foundry mission: Federation Borg

The idea came to me the other day. We've seen liberated Borg like 7 of 9, Hugh, etc. However, what would happen if an entire Borg planet got separated from the Collective? They didn't become individuals, but instead had their own separate planetary collective. They were somehow changed to not have the overwhelming drive to assimilate. Let's also theorize that as a separate society, they found it desirable to ask for membership in the Federation as a Federation Borg world. What advantages/disadvantages, challenges, and possibilities do you see with this? What kind of impact would this have on the Federation and the rest of the galaxy? How would the balance of power shift? Would assimilation of enemy forces to replaced damaged or dead drones be allowed by the Federation? (since the Borg do not reproduce)

Paul and I were discussing this on the phone the other day, and with the advent of the Foundry system in STO, allowing players to create their own episodes, this could be a fascinating story line to pursue. Ideas?

How much resistance to this application would it meet?

Your worst enemy for a long time, the most dangerous force you've ever encountered, all of a sudden wanting to be part of the Federation?

Who would accept their petition?

How much resistance to this application would it meet?

Your worst enemy for a long time, the most dangerous force you've ever encountered, all of a sudden wanting to be part of the Federation?

Who would accept their petition?

Well I kinda outlined the idea already in STO and started tinkering on the first episode, however this is my thinking behind it and if people think it should go a different way then hell we'll do that smile.gif Nothing is set in stone at all for the next parts (since this is going to be a very long story)

ATM the federation have sent an ambassador to discuss the situation, however they also sent a ship (ie whoever plays the mission) to look into it first since it's right in the midst of the borg front line. On the planet they found a group of liberated borg (ie hugh) that were willing to work with the federation and help bolster their lines. Now apparently there WAS a group of liberated borg that was totally against working with their worst foe as well, the federation, and tried to put a stop to it. They failed in the first ep but that can easily change as time goes on.

Here is what I was thinking when I already put this mission into place (which again if we all decide a different approach should be taken it takes no effort to rewrite so this will defiantly be a group effort mission arc smile.gif)

It's now 2411 (game starts in 2409). The Federation is at war with the Klingons (from the looks of it a losing one at that), the Borg, The Romulans, Species 8472, and the Iconians (this hasn't been really introduced yet but it will down the road). They've had run ins with the Breen as well. Starfleet is spread extremely thin across so many battle lines and need help FAST. Thus, when they received communications from a group of liberated borg in the Alini system near the borg "base of operations" so to speak, they were eager to hear them out.

Now I did NOT touch on how other species and another groups in the Federation would take this. And that I think is a big strife that should be prominent. Is them being accepted into the Federation enough to start internal fighting? Would say the Andorians be ok with working side by side by the Borg or would they want to wipe them off their little planet? Would they risk alienating their position in the Federation by striking first?

Really this is where it gets to be interesting. What happens next? What should happen next? I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this smile.gif

Note: I say liberated borg because they aren't linked to the hive mind. But yes, in the next episode it will hit on how they are still linked together wink.gif

Meh. It would be interesting to see how the federation reacts, after having accepted the borg into the Federation, when they try to assimilate federation enemies. Honestly, I doubt the Federation allows that. Which could lead to this new collective filing an official grievance against the Federation, for attempted Genocide, which I find to be quite the humorous possibility. Or this could lead to the collective backing the group that was anti-Federation. Something like that. Who knows?

Meh. It would be interesting to see how the federation reacts, after having accepted the borg into the Federation, when they try to assimilate federation enemies. Honestly, I doubt the Federation allows that. Which could lead to this new collective filing an official grievance against the Federation, for attempted Genocide, which I find to be quite the humorous possibility. Or this could lead to the collective backing the group that was anti-Federation. Something like that. Who knows?

Remember, this isn't the Borg proper, this is an isolated Borg colony world. The rest of the Borg are still out there, the same as ever.

Remember, this isn't the Borg proper, this is an isolated Borg colony world. The rest of the Borg are still out there, the same as ever.

Well not really. They did assimilate a member of Species 8472... =X

Well not really. They did assimilate a member of Species 8472... =X

We stopped that, IIRC. Or at least that's what happened when I played the mission.

We stopped that, IIRC. Or at least that's what happened when I played the mission.

okay yeah.