News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Questor

SEE THE HATRED!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0x1ViJYJGk

How do YOU feel about this ultimate version of the Voyager interpretation of the Prime Directive?

Great line: "Darth Duchess is waiting."

I totally agree with Chuck. There are some Trek episodes where when faced with moral dilemmas, they take the worst possible course of action, completely morally bankrupt decisions, dump perfume on it and try to make the audience think it smells like roses. Just like the Voyager episode "Nothing Human" where a hologram of a Melange-esque Cardassian, Crell Moset was generated to help with an injured non-humanoid alien. We are told of the horrific things that Moset did in order to gain the medical knowledge stored in Voyager's databanks. At the end of the show they delete his hologram and all the knowledge gained in a huff of moral indignation. While this might be satisfying in a self righteous, getting high off your own farts type way, it's morally reprehensible. First, you're denying people the medical knowledge that could save their lives. Second you're making the deaths and suffering of Moset's victims mean NOTHING, just to satisfy your own self righteousness. By throwing it all away you made their deaths completely in vain. Way to go, B&B. Fucking hippie bullshit.

I wonder if he ever reviewed "Desert Crossing"

I totally agree with Chuck. There are some Trek episodes where when faced with moral dilemmas, they take the worst possible course of action, completely morally bankrupt decisions, dump perfume on it and try to make the audience think it smells like roses. Just like the Voyager episode "Nothing Human" where a hologram of a Melange-esque Cardassian, Crell Moset was generated to help with an injured non-humanoid alien. We are told of the horrific things that Moset did in order to gain the medical knowledge stored in Voyager's databanks. At the end of the show they delete his hologram and all the knowledge gained in a huff of moral indignation. While this might be satisfying in a self righteous, getting high off your own farts type way, it's morally reprehensible. First, you're denying people the medical knowledge that could save their lives. Second you're making the deaths and suffering of Moset's victims mean NOTHING, just to satisfy your own self righteousness. By throwing it all away you made their deaths completely in vain. Way to go, B&B. Fucking hippie bullshit.

I agree with everything this man says!

Its worse than that. In TNG era ST, the righteousness of the Federation became its religion. I like to guess that there was some sort of revolution between STVI and Encounter at Farpoint, some people argue that DS9 disproves that, but I disagree.

Picard is an avatar of the ideal of TNG's Federation, and Janeway is the next generation. Janeway's generation of captains grew up with Picard as an example. They take the things that Picard agonized about and treat them as the word of god. Without understanding the WHY of Picard's decisions, they just take them at face value. Janeway regarded anything from the 20th century as "ancient" and often showed an ignorance of history.

Sisko was a student of history, even more than Picard - whose education could be described as classical, or even eclectic - he was able to draw on the whole thing, and not just the cliff notes. His decisions were often much more nuanced than even later Picard. He understood that the Prime Directive was a guidline that could not possibly be enforced strictly, and that the situations MUST be evaluated on a case by case basis - just like Kirk did.

I have much more sympathy for Archer. As much as I like seasons three and four of ENT, I have to admit that Archer was completely out of his depth. He was hamstrung by a crew that was not anywhere near the "Dream Team" that it should have been. I question why this is, and I suspect that perhaps the Vulcans had something to do with that. The Vulcans clearly wanted the Enterprise to fail, and the best way to do that would be to select a marginally stable, out of his depth, and unprepared captain, and then give him a crew that is not anywhere near the level he needs. T'Pol was not the equivilent of Spock or Data, or even Dax. She was assigned as a "commisar" more than as a science officer, and the fact that she didn't have an "airlock accident" as soon as Enterprise went to warp during "Broken Bow" is simply an example of how unprepared for the universe Archer and company were.

He'll get to it.

I still remember that TNG ep of a planet of what looked like the descendants of Africans and how they were considered barbaric. It was so bad that I think it was pretty much hatred by some on set. AFAIK that is.

Or that reprehensible ENT ep in which Phlox refused to cure a disease that was killing off a race because he believed that they were supposed to through an evolution cycle, be extinct.

How the heck do I not get a posrep for that?

P.S. Enigma.... This IS the episode where Phlox refused to save the race he could cure...

How the heck do I not get a posrep for that?

P.S. Enigma.... This IS the episode where Phlox refused to save the race he could cure...

Oopsies. Ignore that part but not the TNG part. smile.gif

Yeah, I love ST, but early TNG made me cringe with its hippyness... smile.gif