News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Khas

Salt on Enceladus

http://www.astroengine.com/?p=5150

Apparently, Saturn's moon Enceladus has a salty subsurface ocean. We already knew that it had liquid water beneath it's surface, and recent tests showed carbon dioxide, methane, and ammonia in the geysers. So the chances of life having formed on that moon are looking pretty good.

Apparently, Saturn's moon Enceladus has a salty subsurface ocean. We already knew that it had liquid water beneath it's surface, and recent tests showed carbon dioxide, methane, and ammonia in the geysers. So the chances of life having formed on that moon are looking pretty good.

They probably died off from complications of high blood pressure. smile.gif

You know, Enigma. I opened this thread knowing there was a 97% chance you wouldn't have anything intellegent to add. You certainly don't disappoint. laugh.gif

You know, Enigma. I opened this thread knowing there was a 97% chance you wouldn't have anything intellegent to add. You certainly don't disappoint. laugh.gif

Isn't that par for the course on this board? I'm really surprised you have this subforum and expect "serious" discussions. smile.gif

There was an article I saw a few years back that showed a proposed lander for Europa that would land on the surface, and have a probe which would slowly melt the ice and allow it to re-freeze as it descended. That way it could get to the sub surface ocean and not cause any disturbance.

There was an article I saw a few years back that showed a proposed lander for Europa that would land on the surface, and have a probe which would slowly melt the ice and allow it to re-freeze as it descended. That way it could get to the sub surface ocean and not cause any disturbance.

I read about that too. That would be an extremely interesting exploration/mission/discovery.

thumbsup.gif

can u explain this serious too me?

It is a disease right? Tyralak is try to infect us with serious transmitted disease. Fuck Tyralak and his STDs! smile.giftongue.gif

Isn't that par for the course on this board? I'm really surprised you have this subforum and expect "serious" discussions. smile.gif

Actually, Enigma, this particular forum was designed for serious discussion. Hence the subtitle (spam free zone)

Yes. And I'm afraid the cure is worse than the disease. Far worse, as it involves the Baron, livestock and a branding iron.

Now back to the topic. It will be interesting to see if we will ever get any real data back from the place with Obama gutting the space program. It may end up that private industry will have to take care of it. That might not be a bad thing.

Yes. And I'm afraid the cure is worse than the disease. Far worse, as it involves the Baron, livestock and a branding iron.

Do I even want to know what that means, or is it best left between the old-time members?

The Baron was one of the old time ASVS members back in the Usenet days. Let's just say he loves his sheep.

The Baron was one of the old time ASVS members back in the Usenet days. Let's just say he loves his sheep.

So was he a Furry, or worse?

No, not a furry. Actually it was mostly a joke about him being an unrestrained zoophilliac. (Sheep fucker)

Now back to the topic. It will be interesting to see if we will ever get any real data back from the place with Obama gutting the space program. It may end up that private industry will have to take care of it. That might not be a bad thing.

Look, as much as I disagree with what happened to the space program, blaming Obama is bullshit.

The space program (along with science in general, national defense, and various other programs) have been fucked in general by a succession of presidents. At least Obama has the balls to tell Florida to fuck itself.

We needed to be continuing work on the space program in the mid to late eighties. Take your complaints to Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and especially Bush II.

There are far more apt places to attack Obama from than failing to extend a dead end program.

I mean, who cut off the shuttle program at 5 units? Who killed the next generation?

It makes no difference to me who's doing it. They need to either get serious about the space program, or dismantle it and give the green light to industries for massive commercialization of space. Right now, there are severe restrictions on private spaceflight. Open it up if the government isn't going to do anything with it. Srsly, do we really want the Chinese surpassing us? Space is not something we can afford to lose the upper hand on.

It makes no difference to me who's doing it. They need to either get serious about the space program, or dismantle it and give the green light to industries for massive commercialization of space. Right now, there are severe restrictions on private spaceflight. Open it up if the government isn't going to do anything with it.

Exactly which obstacles are you talking about? SpaceX does a wonderful job blowing up rockets. The obstacles are the fact that we are barely at the "over the horizon there be dragons" stage of space exploration. Governments are supposed to be able to absorb the risks involved in experimental programs of this type. If we allow massive deregulated private exploitation of space there are any number of issues. The biggest involve simple orbital mechanics and the fact that things tend to stay in orbit for a long time.

Srsly, do we really want the Chinese surpassing us? Space is not something we can afford to lose the upper hand on.

Wouldn't be my first choice, no.