News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Ado Mortumee

Covenant Navy Size.

. Now this suggests that five years into the Human-Covenant War that the Covenant did not have the fleet numbers to quickly crush humanity which flies in the face of other established Halo canon that show that the Covenant Navy can deploy hundreds of ships in days and aford to loss these ships without any dent in the Covenant Navy. Now:

1. The Covenant couldn't find UNSC worlds easily, due to the Cole protocol. This would mean that if the Arbiter wanted to take the entire fleet he would have to search thousands if not tens of thousands of star systems with it, which suggests a large number of ships for the Covenant Navy, not a small number.

2. There is zero reason to trust The Prophet of Regret in this case for the following reasons A: He is military incompetent as shown when he attacks Earth in H2 - defended by 300 SMAC Stations and at least 75 ships - with a fleet of only two Assault Carriers and 13 CCCS class-Battlecruisers. His comments also run in direct contrast to an Elite, who is not only a trained military commander(and therefore much more knowledgeable on the subject of the Covenant fleet status) but also less likely to lie being wrapped up in honor issues. B: He tries to secure this supposedly vital facility with the smallest Covenant fleet ever seen, made up of some of the lightest ship classifications in the Covenant Navy.

3. Regret could also have been in it for personal glory, finding the largest reliquary in all of Covenant history would have propelled him to being the greatest amongst equals(Truths position). It should be noted this is supported by canon (H:TCP).

So, comments?

Pay no attention to the grouchy joker-faced curmudgeon.

Very well.

So what do you think on this matter Tyralak?

2500-3000 ships minimum cant say for sure how many they have, since we dont know how big the covenant really is beyond the homeworlds and the few colonies mentioned in the books. This is a bare bones number , the 750 ship fleet at reach, the 1000 ship fleet at High charity, 200 or so wiped out at Unyielding hierophant, the 200 or so that got wiped out by the nova bomb, plus a few hundred guarding the homeworlds & whatever

2500-3000 ships minimum cant say for sure how many they have, since we dont know how big the covenant really is beyond the homeworlds and the few colonies mentioned in the books. This is a bare bones number , the 750 ship fleet at reach, the 1000 ship fleet at High charity, the 200 or so that got wiped out by the nova bomb, plus a few hundred guarding the homeworlds & whatever

Agreed. I'm just looking at HW here, and how when you look at things it makes no sense really for the Covenant Navy to be small or the being strained by just five years of war with humanity and the light losses they have taken.

Ah, forgot to mention in addition to the thousand(s) of Forerunner Dreadnoughts already there the prototype Shield World is a shipyard so was also not limited to the ships in storage there.

Very well.

So what do you think on this matter Tyralak?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to defer to you on this matter. Other than the first 3 games, I don't know much about the Halo universe. I probably should read some of the books though. Are they all in one series or are they written by a number of authors?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to defer to you on this matter. Other than the first 3 games, I don't know much about the Halo universe. I probably should read some of the books though. Are they all in one series or are they written by a number of authors?

Their written by a number of authors. The best author is Eric Nylund and he wrote: The Fall of Reach. Good book, but inconsistent on a number of things because it had to be rushed. First Strike, which tells the story of how the Master Chief, Cortana, and Johnson returned to Earth. Ghost of Onyx is really good, tells of the Spartan IIIs, what happen to two of the characters from FS.

The Flood was wrote by William C. Dietz - though someone should have told him when you shoot people with super heated plasma there is not gong it be a lot of blood - more of a rehash of Halo: CE but tells about what the rest of the PoAs crew was up too and an Elite with a grudge with the Master Chief.

Contact Harvest was good, I’ll have to dig out my copy later though for the author.

Then there is The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell. I enjoyed it, but other Haloites didn’t seem too.

For the number of major fleets the Covenant have been able to deploy over the war and the date off the top of my head:

2535: 36 Covenant ships deployed to glass world as UNSC fleet fled.

2543: 300 Covenant ships destroyed.

2552: 24 ships destroyed.

2552: 750 ships deployed at Reach. Several hundred destroyed.

2552, two weeks after The Fall of Reach: 500+ ships and 30 kilometer mobile station destroyed.

2552, H2: High Charity arrives at Delta Halo with the largest Covenant fleet ever seen. 1065+ ships, possibly up to 5000 based off of the ratio between light and heavy ships in the Covenant’s fleets.

2552: 750+ Elite ships gather around a Covenant colony word during the Covenant-Civil War, most of the fleet was destroyed when the UNSC Nova bomb detonated.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Though what do you think on the issue with the HW scene here?

I liked "the Cole protocol", because it was another book not concentrating mostly on MC (he wasn't in it at all), and the action was interesting.

You can also see the Elites starting to understand how twisted their "Prophets" are, and how humans can be honorable...