News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-Sama

A hard scifi setting

is it possible to make a really hard scifi setting without violating laws of physics or using handwavium?

Why don't we try it!

Isn't there an atomic rocket website that delves extensively about it?

Sure it's possible to have a really hard sci-fi setting. It probably means that everything has to happen inside one star system, and we don't get all the cool gizmos and gadets. In the end I much prefer the space opera settings to that of hard sci-fi, because hard sci-fi is as boring as watching grass grow.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Isn't there an atomic rocket website that delves extensively about it?</div></div>

Yeah and it's run by a known Wongist. Down with it, I say!</div></div>

That, I didn't know.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Sure it's possible to have a really hard sci-fi setting. It probably means that everything has to happen inside one star system, and we don't get all the cool gizmos and gadets. In the end I much prefer the space opera settings to that of hard sci-fi, because hard sci-fi is as boring as watching grass grow.</div></div> not necessarily. A lot of scifi are limited to our solar system and have been operatic. It depends on the creativity.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Isn't there an atomic rocket website that delves extensively about it?</div></div>

Who?

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Isn't there an atomic rocket website that delves extensively about it?</div></div>

I like the site. It is very imformative.

Who?</div></div>

I really like the site.

How does that make him a Wongist? I post there and I don't particularly care for Wong. Am I a Wongist? smile.gif

This place isn't really about Wong anyway. He's welcome here if he wants to join. I doubt he will. He's actually of very little consequence to me.

Oh please, you are just jealous that I'm posting there and not you. smile.gif lol

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Well if I should be so jealous of you posting there why the hell are you here?  wink.gif</div></div>

So I can wait and see you eventually get banned again. smile.gif j/k

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Well if I should be so jealous of you posting there why the hell are you here?  wink.gif</div></div>

So I can wait and see you eventually get banned again. smile.gif j/k</div></div>

we keep him around so the women will be in shock and be approachable by us.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Well if I should be so jealous of you posting there why the hell are you here?  wink.gif</div></div>

So I can wait and see you eventually get banned again. smile.gif j/k</div></div>

we keep him around so the women will be in shock and be approachable by us.</div></div>

In other words, we keep him around to make us look good? smile.gif

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Well if I should be so jealous of you posting there why the hell are you here?  wink.gif</div></div>

we keep him around so the women will be in shock and be approachable by us.</div></div>

In other words, we keep him around to make us look good? smile.gif</div></div>

lol.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'><p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>So I can wait and see you eventually get banned again. smile.gif</div></div>

That sounds like a challenge to me! Ok you're on! biggrin.gif</div></div>

I am taking bets!

So I can wait and see you eventually get banned again. smile.gif

That sounds like a challenge to me! Ok you're on! biggrin.gif

I am taking bets!

I bet one thousand Quatloos!

About the "Atomic Rocket" site?

I've been there, and it's nice, and not at all biased.

It trounces any and every SciFi setting that defies know scientific laws, including SW and ST equally.

About the topic?

"2001, A Space Odissey"...

This is as hard as Science-Fiction will ever get.

Sure, it pushed the known limits, and the time frame as well, but it is based in real science (or what was real at the time it was made)...

I love this movie, and liked the second one even though it was a bit less... everything... laugh.gif

About the "Atomic Rocket" site?

I've been there, and it's nice, and not at all biased.

It trounces any and every SciFi setting that defies know scientific laws, including SW and ST equally.

About the topic?

"2001, A Space Odissey"...

This is as hard as Science-Fiction will ever get.

Sure, it pushed the known limits, and the time frame as well, but it is based in real science (or what was real at the time it was made)...

I love this movie, and liked the second one even though it was a bit less... everything... laugh.gif

I would add Contact and Gattica as good examples of hard Sci-Fi. Contact especially.