News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Monsterprise

I took particular perverse pleasure in the size Abrams made the new Enterprise. It's funny to watch the mental gymnastics (to borrow a phrase) that some people are using to claim that the new Enterprise isn't 900 meters ILM says it is. (Funny how Warsies are saying that ILM is full of shit) or even the 725 meter size. Either way, it's a gigantic ship. A good move by Abrams, IMHO. I think this size change may have something to do with a perceived greater venerability due to the loss of the Kelvin. It's interesting to not, that Starfleet tends to be more militaristic in this movie than in previous ones. I'm of the opinion that this is also due to Nero's attack on the Kelvin.

Seems a fair enough assumption. I think that was the intended reasoning.

I would think that the 900m number seems to be fairly accurate

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>At this rate, assuming the proportions would be around the same, a (at this point theoretical) Abrams-verse Excelsior would at least be something in the neighborhood of twice the size of an Imperial Star Destroyer, and an Abrams-verse Galaxy/Sovereign would be solidly in Super Star Destroyer territory!

Heck the Monsterprise is already the size of a Victory-class Star Destroyer!</div></div>

I put up some size comparison here. http://s18.photobuck...ali-sama/scale/

It has size comparisons between isds, star trek ships and has new enterprise in 2 different sizes.  the main reason the enterprise was enlarged was the shuttles Abrams used where too big for the smaller size enterprise, so they had to up the scale.

i believe the actual scale will be in the 712 meters so it isn't isd size. But i can be wrong.

I took particular perverse pleasure in the size Abrams made the new Enterprise. It's funny to watch the mental gymnastics (to borrow a phrase) that some people are using to claim that the new Enterprise isn't 900 meters ILM says it is. (Funny how Warsies are saying that ILM is full of shit) or even the 725 meter size. Either way, it's a gigantic ship. A good move by Abrams, IMHO. I think this size change may have something to do with a perceived greater venerability due to the loss of the Kelvin. It's interesting to not, that Starfleet tends to be more militaristic in this movie than in previous ones. I'm of the opinion that this is also due to Nero's attack on the Kelvin.

Fuck you, the only one I see doing "mental gymnastics" here is you.

Watch the fucking movie again, there is no fucking way the Enterprise is as big as Abrams (who is a fucking wanker anyway) or ILM (and I don't fucking care if they're ILM, look at the shitfest Star Wars has become) claims it is. The primary hull is almost exactly the same as on the refit Enterprise from TPM. Either that, or we're honestly expected to believe that the windows are 24 feet tall (then again I wouldn't put it past that donkey cocksucker Abrams).

24 foot windows? Where did you come up with that nonsense? Out of one of your many asses, no doubt.

Just look at the Enterprise and compare it to the TPM version. They're both clearly meant to be the same size. If the new version Enterprise is meant to be as large as ILM and Fuckbrams says then goddamn they should've recruited Kirk into the NBA.

From what's being said on Spacebattles, the whole thing goes a little like this: The ship model was originally made as if it was 700-something meters long, but then Abrams said it needed to be even bigger to get the correct feel, so they scaled it up to 900-something meters in length. This is somewhat problematic, since simply scaling up a model means that the windows are going to stay in proportion with the rest of the model, and thus also get unrealistically huge.

For it to be as large as in TMP is impossible though. The shuttles wouldn't fit inside the hangar and the scene where Kirk looks at the half-finished ship would make zero sense.

We've discussed this on SFJ, and we concluded that:

The shot, of Pike coming out, points to an 700-800 meter E-alt.

A scene with humans on the nacelles points to nacelles of 40 meters of width at the "wings", again pointing to a 700-800 meter ship.

One of the members there, Mike DiCenso, has done this scaling work:

The International Cinematographers Guild magazine has an article on the Star Trek movie. On page 36, there is a great shot of the E-Alt leaving the station, giving a superb front profile of the ship, and at high resolution quality. The E-Alt measures 1.65", and the bridge HUD window measures 0.02" of an inch. Dividing 1.65 by .02 = 82.5 to 1. So assuming a 2 meter high window, that would make the E-Alt 165 meters tall. From the few side views I can gleen off the net and the movie stills, I'am guessing that the E-Alt has a 5 to 1 ratio of length to height, which means the it measures in at... around 825 meters long!

But in no way is it 300 meters like the old E-nil... smile.gif

We've discussed this on SFJ, and we concluded that:

The shot, of Pike coming out, points to an 700-800 meter E-alt.

A scene with humans on the nacelles points to nacelles of 40 meters of width at the "wings", again pointing to a 700-800 meter ship.

One of the members there, Mike DiCenso, has done this scaling work:

But in no way is it 300 meters like the old E-nil... smile.gif

This seems the most reasonable estimate. Abrams says 900, so I wonder if there's a way to reconcile the missing 100 meters?

This seems the most reasonable estimate. Abrams says 900, so I wonder if there's a way to reconcile the missing 100 meters?

He probably measured the ship when it was going to Warp, thus it was slightly elongated? wink.gif

He probably measured the ship when it was going to Warp, thus it was slightly elongated? wink.gif

LOL! I suppose that's one possibility.

Abrams says 900, so I wonder if there's a way to reconcile the missing 100 meters?

The missing 100 meters can be found in Fuckbrams' fantasies of how long he wishes his pathetic cock was.

There is no fucking way that piece of shit is as long as you morons say it is. I'll get some visual evidence put together soon - I know, hold on tight, I know how foreign the concept of "visual evidence" is around here.

The missing 100 meters can be found in Fuckbrams' fantasies of how long he wishes his pathetic cock was.

There is no fucking way that piece of shit is as long as you morons say it is. I'll get some visual evidence put together soon - I know, hold on tight, I know how foreign the concept of "visual evidence" is around here.

Hhhmm, no, what is foreign here is you doing anything constructive instead of insulting people while not having any arguments of your own... wink.gif