News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Elagabalus

Medical Frigate vs Runabout

Depends on the armament of the frigate.

You, sir, have just won the Captain Obvious Award for Stating the Obvious. Congratulations, and good luck next time.

Isn't the armament of a space ship ALWAYS a huge factor in a battle? I mean, they're not going to win by ramming your ship.

You, sir, have just won the Captain Obvious Award for Stating the Obvious. Congratulations, and good luck next time.

Isn't the armament of a space ship ALWAYS a huge factor in a battle? I mean, they're not going to win by ramming your ship.

But since OP wasn't specific I cannot give a definite answer? Are you really that dense? Of course the armament is a huge factor but the OP does not state the type of frigate not what it carries in the way of weapons. We do know what the runabout is capable of but what is the frigate capable of in defending itself. It is definitely not a ship of the line but it isn't unarmed either.

Against the Redemption, the runabout would have no chance. It might, *might* have a chance against a Medstar frigate as it has one third the armament of the Redemption. But that is if the runabout can bring down it's shields.

But since OP wasn't specific I cannot give a definite answer? Are you really that dense? Of course the armament is a huge factor but the OP does not state the type of frigate not what it carries in the way of weapons. We do know what the runabout is capable of but what is the frigate capable of in defending itself. It is definitely not a ship of the line but it isn't unarmed either.

What the fuck? Are YOU that dense. Of course I realize that no specifications were made in the OP, but that doesn't change the fact that you made just about the most obvious statement in the world. OF COURSE THE OUTCOME WILL DEPEND UPON THE ARMAMENT OF THE SHIPS, especially since there are not normally war ships.

I was basically trying to get Elagabalus to be more specific. There are various hospital ships with different armaments. The Redemption was a Nebulon B2 medical frigate with half the normal turbolaser complement and an extra two laser batteries. But a Medstar class frigate has only one turbolaser and two laser batteries.

I just wanted him to be specific.

I understand, but I must say, seems a bit silly to have that heavily armed of a Medical Frigate(Nebulon B2) Would take away from the room for more advanced medical equipment and the injured, plus it would be a bigger drain on the power, thus another hit to the resources for the medical field officers. The medstar design makes more sense, since opposing forces generally leave medical frigates alone, so there is very little use for the extra armament and shielding.

I understand, but I must say, seems a bit silly to have that heavily armed of a Medical Frigate(Nebulon B2) Would take away from the room for more advanced medical equipment and the injured, plus it would be a bigger drain on the power, thus another hit to the resources for the medical field officers. The medstar design makes more sense, since opposing forces generally leave medical frigates alone, so there is very little use for the extra armament and shielding.

Going by the link the Redemption also took part in some battles before being super lasered in RotJ. It had about half the armament of a regular Nebulon B2 plus it had it's fighter bay gutted for bacta tanks. While the medstars were designed specifically to be hospital ships.

While I do not see a Runabout beat a medical Frigate, I do see a Runabout equipped with two Photorps damaging it a lot, leaving it crippled.

The Runabout, of course, has by this point been reduced to floating debris... laugh.gif

While I do not see a Runabout beat a medical Frigate, I do see a Runabout equipped with two Photorps damaging it a lot, leaving it crippled.

The Runabout, of course, has by this point been reduced to floating debris... laugh.gif

A bigger issue would be the huge backlash against the Federation for attacking a hospital ship.

Personally I don't see the runabout being able to do much damage, torps or not. Besides the torps used by the runabout are much smaller than the ones used by starships. Same goes for any fighter. They do not use ship grade missiles\torpedoes. They are too big and bulky.

A bigger issue would be the huge backlash against the Federation for attacking a hospital ship.

Personally I don't see the runabout being able to do much damage, torps or not. Besides the torps used by the runabout are much smaller than the ones used by starships. Same goes for any fighter. They do not use ship grade missiles\torpedoes. They are too big and bulky.

Well, I'd imagine if the Runabout is attacking the Frigate, it was surely because it was attacked first and didn't know it was a medical ship...

As for the Torpedoes, Runabouts can carry either a couple of standard Photorps (which would hurt the Frigate IMO) plus its Phasers (powerful enough to hurt unshielded Capships).

If the ship carries the two Photorps, I believe it can damage the Frigate.

If it carries micro-torpedoes, then I doubt it will do much damage.

Were, after all, talking about pitting a 12-15 meter ship vs a 300 meter one... rolleyes.gif

Moo plop! You don't think they'd be contacting each other first before attacking? smile.gif

I still stand by that two torps are not enough to damage the ship.

Moo plop! You don't think they'd be contacting each other first before attacking? smile.gif

I still stand by that two torps are not enough to damage the ship.

You're right, they would.

And I'm starting to agree that crippling the ship would be though even with two standard Photorps... dry.gif

Let's say, if for some reason they fight each other, the two Photorps drop one section of shielding, and while the Frigate pounds the shit out of the Runabout's shields, its Phasers do some damage to the unshielded Frigate...

Although, if the torpedoes are fired at the "neck section"... blink.gif

Eight Laser batteries and three turbolasers from the Redemption, all firing at the runabout would make short work of it. smile.gif

Eight Laser batteries and three turbolasers from the Redemption, all firing at the runabout would make short work of it. smile.gif

Problem is, there's a little bitty thing called a "firing arc" that would disagree with you.

They wouldn't all fire at the same time, and we've also seen how accurate SW gunners are.

So the fight would definitely not be so short.

First off, remember Runabouts are capable to taking ST Capship shots and survive for a bit of time.

Your Frigate doesn't have that kind of fire power.

I still agree in the long run, in a fight to the death, the Frigate wins.

And while the frigate gets shots off, so will the Runabout with Phasers that, although weaker then Capship Phasers, are still powerful enough to be noticed by Capships when fired upon...

So the fight would be comparable to a Dominion Bug vs a Runabout.

Not over quick, definitely to the advantage of the Frigate, the Runabout doesn't survive, but the Frigate's also suffered some damage.

Again, mostly depends on whether the Runabout's got a pair of regular Photorps or not... dry.gif

DS9 battle lines, runabouts shields dropped and USS Yangtzee kiang shot down by a single 900MW blast

http://www.chakoteya.net/DS9/413.htm

Wow, one such incident and now it becomes the average by which we should judge.

Let's forget about all the times they've been seen resisting Capship fire that have been shown to vaporize metallic alloys, and let's just use this one incident... Smiley-Facepalm.gif

Ok, in RotJ, Tie Fighters were considered threats to the Medical frigates.

Ties ave no missiles, so that means that their puny weapons were a threat to fully shielded Frigates... rolleyes.gif

Problem is, there's a little bitty thing called a "firing arc" that would disagree with you.

They wouldn't all fire at the same time, and we've also seen how accurate SW gunners are.

So the fight would definitely not be so short.

First off, remember Runabouts are capable to taking ST Capship shots and survive for a bit of time.

Your Frigate doesn't have that kind of fire power.

I still agree in the long run, in a fight to the death, the Frigate wins.

And while the frigate gets shots off, so will the Runabout with Phasers that, although weaker then Capship Phasers, are still powerful enough to be noticed by Capships when fired upon...

So the fight would be comparable to a Dominion Bug vs a Runabout.

Not over quick, definitely to the advantage of the Frigate, the Runabout doesn't survive, but the Frigate's also suffered some damage.

Again, mostly depends on whether the Runabout's got a pair of regular Photorps or not... dry.gif

The only damage I'd say the frigate would sustain is a broken tea cup, dropped to the floor as the captain could not believe how weak that runabout was. smile.gif

Runabout = vapour. Med Frigate = tea stains in the bridge.

The only damage I'd say the frigate would sustain is a broken tea cup, dropped to the floor as the captain could not believe how weak that runabout was. smile.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Wow, one such incident and now it becomes the average by which we should judge.

Let's forget about all the times they've been seen resisting Capship fire that have been shown to vaporize metallic alloys, and let's just use this one incident... Smiley-Facepalm.gif

By all means quantify others then

Ok, in RotJ, Tie Fighters were considered threats to the Medical frigates.

Ties ave no missiles, so that means that their puny weapons were a threat to fully shielded Frigates... rolleyes.gif

How odd,I remember it being fine til the death star shot it

By all means quantify others then

The Runabouts were able to take a pounding from Dominion attack ships, the same type that were used to attack and destroy capships.

Shots from the Dominion attack ships were able to damage and unshielded Odyssey.

We've seen those same attack ships destroy BoP and other types of Capships.

Some of these shots seemed to vaporize some hull materials, in some cases a few cubic meters.

Since it takes about 7MW to vaporize 1kg of iron, and 1 cubic meter of iron ore has between 2100kg and 2900kg, if we were to use iron as a benchmark (which we know Starfleet ship materials to be better then), these shots would come out between 14 700MW and 20 300MW, easily...

How odd,I remember it being fine til the death star shot it

Prior to the DS firing, we have no idea about the shape it was, whether it had minor damage or not at all.

Also, are you saying then that the Rebels panicked for no reason when they declared that the Empire fighters were targetting the medical Frigate?

Yes, there were bombers, but there were also Tie interceptors.

If these ships were not threat, then why the hell would they have been attacking the Frigate? rolleyes.gif

The Runabouts were able to take a pounding from Dominion attack ships, the same type that were used to attack and destroy capships.

Shots from the Dominion attack ships were able to damage and unshielded Odyssey.

We've seen those same attack ships destroy BoP and other types of Capships.

Some of these shots seemed to vaporize some hull materials, in some cases a few cubic meters.

Since it takes about 7MW to vaporize 1kg of iron, and 1 cubic meter of iron ore has between 2100kg and 2900kg, if we were to use iron as a benchmark (which we know Starfleet ship materials to be better then), these shots would come out between 14 700MW and 20 300MW, easily...

Problem is ST beam weapons are not pure DET so for all we know it takes 900MW to phasorize 1 ton of hull material

Prior to the DS firing, we have no idea about the shape it was, whether it had minor damage or not at all.

Also, are you saying then that the Rebels panicked for no reason when they declared that the Empire fighters were targetting the medical Frigate?

Yes, there were bombers, but there were also Tie interceptors.

If these ships were not threat, then why the hell would they have been attacking the Frigate? rolleyes.gif

reply to this later off to for turkey dinner