News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
scvn2812

What are you reading?

For myself, right now I'm about half way into The Desert of Stars. Its the second book in a series by John J. Lumpkin. Its the sequel to a book I've referenced a few times, Through Struggle The Stars. Overall, I'd say its a great sequel. Really fleshes out the setting although it hasn't had a really good space battle yet, which was the best part of the original. I like the not very futuristic approach, the harder edge to the space war bits gives it a nice, unique feel. Basically its Atomic Rockets the novel. Except that in addition to great battles, it also has a fairly interesting setting and characters.

I'm currently re-reading the Discworld novel "Thud!" It's a crime drama set on Discworld, with all the zaniness that that implies. Note: Wizards on Discworld can accelerate horse-drawn carriages to near-c​.

Nothing. I've become a lazy fucker, in that regard. Must needs change this.

I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy!

No, really. Finally got around to it all these years.

AND?!?!?!?! I love those books so much.

• Like 1

Ah yeah. Banks not being around anymore will definitely be a tragedy for the scifi community. What's Surface Detail about? The Culture books have been a bit hit or miss for me. I liked Matter, Excession and Look to Windward but Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games were not really my cup of tea.

The Eugenics Wars Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh

By Greg Cox

A truly excellent pair of books. I love how he fills in the backstory of how the Eugenics Wars came about, and the role of Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln in trying to halt their rise to power. I'm about halfway through the second book. It's hard to put down.

When it comes to ST, Cox is amazing. I bought "Star Trek: To Reign In Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh" when I was 15, and thought it was amazing. It's still one of my favorite books to this day.

I loved the way he twisted it into historical events and did a pretty convincing James Bond type thriller with alien technology.

The first two are set in the 1990s, and feature Khan, Gary Seven, Roberta Lincoln, and maybe a few others. (Don't know, haven't read the first two.) To Reign In Hell covers the time between "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan" (2260s to 2280s) and takes place entirely on Ceti Alpha V.

How much of Trek history &/or characters &/or references are in Greg Cox's Khan books?

:mystery:

Quite a bit. Methuselah was in the books along with Ralph Offenhouse and Clare Redmond from "The Neutral Zone" (TNG) Seriously, this guy needs to write for any future Trek TV series. He's an amazing writer.

Quite a bit. Methuselah was in the books along with Ralph Offenhouse and Clare Redmond from "The Neutral Zone" (TNG) Seriously, this guy needs to write for any future Trek TV series. He's an amazing writer.

Thanks Tyralak. That's really cool. Do Rain Robinson &/or Captain Braxton show up? Then there's Redjac, Ronan, plus all the other things from Trek history.

Star Trek's PTB should hire him for future productions.

Fucking fantastic.

OUtbound Flight was REALLY good. Pretty amazing, as far as Star Wars books go. Zahn does good work.