News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
JohnM81

stardestroyer.net forums

8.jpg

"How many SDN threads are about me & Sam's gallivanting through time? Or Sam's star leaping when after leapt into Jonathan in 2004 Detroit?

:mystery:"

I still haven't figured out if you annoy the crap out of me or are hysterical.

I fall firmly in the "annoyance" camp.

Brian, you keep dodging this fundamental issue: where are the shield effects from weapons being effected by or even stopped by the shields?
I dodge no issue. I believe I posted that long clip from the Clone Wars, where Grievous' huge Munificent guns demonstrated definite shield effects against Venators. Also, there are lots of shield effects in the opening scene of ANH which I've covered in at least 2 case studies. There are shield effects in TPM during the ground battle, and with the droidekas. In fact, I created an entire case study on shield effects: http://www.scifights.net/starwarsshields.mov It was the precursor to the video we are discussing now!

And there are shield effects in ROTS. A TradeFed toilet seat shows blue shield effects. I believe some of the ships in the distance just after Obi-Wan and Anakin dip under their destroyer to enter the battle demonstrate shield effects. They certainly fire on each other without causing huge gaping holes.

And the battle had lasted for a while. Recall in the animated Clone Wars final episode, Obi-Wan and Anakin were in a distant star system at the time, and had to jump to Coruscant, while the battle was raging. This is corroborated by the fact they were not in the battle yet when the film begins.

Shield barrier:

anh3.png

Of course, pulses do "pop" closer or farther away, which supports the volumetric idea. But the point is that, in this image, the shield is defeated, and part of the pulse penetrates, even if deflected to a different angle. This supports the idea that if a pulse is powerful enough, it will penetrate without visible effects. The shields were at their weakest, but the splintering takes place far enough away that a fighter could fit underneath.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20522425/rots2.mov

Go frame by frame in the beginning of this video (with Quicktime just use the arrow keys), and you will see shield effects on the front of Invisible Hand, the approaching Venator (just under the trench), and a distant Munificent.

Anyway, I'm retreating back to my own part of the forum. I work full time, I'm a father, I'm a husband, I'm running a time-consuming website, I'm secretary of the Masonic Lodge, and I need some exercise. It is easier to maintain a presence if I don't have to track down this thread.

I still haven't figured out if you annoy the crap out of me or are hysterical.

He used to annoy me to no end, then his posting style kind of grew on me. He's excellent comic relief. Ask him about a certain "Chinese Laundry". :whistle:

What if?

STAR WARS ships are piloted by:

Jarjar.jpg

and STAR TREK ships by:

pakled07.jpg

THEN they GO AT IT!

TO THE DEATH!:grimreaper:

WHO WINS???

:mystery:

• Like 1

I'm out too. I got a new job closer to my girlfriend, so I've been taking advantage of that to spend more time with her and as a consequence, away from my laptop. Also I get wound up and tend not to manage time well with these threads which makes me run late leaving for work or low on sleep :-P

What if?

STAR WARS ships are piloted by:

Jarjar.jpg

and STAR TREK ships by:

pakled07.jpg

THEN they GO AT IT!

TO THE DEATH!:grimreaper:

WHO WINS???

:mystery:

The multiverse is destroyed.