News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Warp Strafing

Brian Young is doing a video commentary and case study on warp strafing. He currently is looking at Journey to Babel, Elaan of Troyus, and The Ultimate Computer. Anyone else know of any episodes which support the idea of warp strafing?

I believe the only place we've seen Warp Strafing was in TOS...

Late TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT have all shown Warp speed battles, but I don't remember any incidents where Warp Strafing was used in those series...

The only way that warp strafing works is if phasers were FTL. They are not so unless the ships in combat decided to blows themselves up, the only it'll work if it is fired from behind, as the ship is moving away, otherwise, the moment the phaser is fired, it'll strike the ship that fired it.

smile.png

In VOY's "Message in a bottle" we see the Prometheus fire Phasers on a Nebula-class while at Warp...

In VOY's "Message in a bottle" we see the Prometheus fire Phasers on a Nebula-class while at Warp...

Did it fire from the front or from behind? Phasers have never shown to be light speed or FTL.

Actually, Enigma, here we see the Prometheus in multi-vector assault mode fire at the Nebula-class ship from all directions while at warp:

I stand corrected.

But it is contradictory when phasers are not FTL unless while at warp all ships are in the same layer of subspace tha they can fire their phasers.

What I am trying to say is that what I understand about warp travel is that when a ship goes into warp, the outward appearance would look like a ship going FTL but in reality it has entered into subspace in which travel is done STL but the distance is shorter, something like a fold space drive. So both ships in combat in warp are actually fighting STL but to an outside observer it is all a blur.

Confusing but I hope you can understand the babble. smile.png lol

I stand corrected.

But it is contradictory when phasers are not FTL unless while at warp all ships are in the same layer of subspace tha they can fire their phasers.

What I am trying to say is that what I understand about warp travel is that when a ship goes into warp, the outward appearance would look like a ship going FTL but in reality it has entered into subspace in which travel is done STL but the distance is shorter, something like a fold space drive. So both ships in combat in warp are actually fighting STL but to an outside observer it is all a blur.

Confusing but I hope you can understand the babble. smile.png lol

Brian Young completed his case study. Quite conclusively, I might add. As soon as he makes it public, I'll post it.

And again, we see it only in TOS...

I wonder why that is?

And again, we see it only in TOS...

I wonder why that is?

Dunno. However, before Enigma claims that somehow in 80 years all the races in Trek somehow lost this ability, I'd like to mention how ridiculous that idea is.

Dunno. However, before Enigma claims that somehow in 80 years all the races in Trek somehow lost this ability, I'd like to mention how ridiculous that idea is.

Not going to claim that but somehow it may have been considered for a while that warp combat was to be impractical. The only instance in TNG that we know of was in the pilot which the E-D fired torpedoes at the pursuing Q while at maximum warp.

The use of torpedoes in warp is a given since the torpedoes have warp sustainers. Fired at warp the torps stay at that speed until the fuel is used up. But when shown in the pilot they were fired from behind or else if it was fired from their forward launchers the torps would not travel far enough as it is travelling at the same speed as the launching ship. Warp sustainers are what they are, they sustain warp.

I'm looking at the video you linked and since I can't hear what is being said, I'm only going by visuals. In the vid we see the E-Nil firing a torps at warp. This goes against everything about warp sustainers as the torps and phasers are fired faster than the ship itself.

Then again this does not negate what I had mentioned earlier as to how warp combat could be made feasible.

What I did find interesting was that despite the dialogue saying that they were at whatever warp (going by wording onscreen) the ships themselves do not seem to be at warp. In fact they looked more like they were at impulse than warp speed. Compare the E-Nil combat to the Prometheus to see what I mean.

Anyways, I never stated that it was impossible, I originally said that the weapons would have to be fired from the rear. I was corrected and then put up a theory as to how warp combat was possible since phasers have always shown to be STL and that torps fired at warp tend to fly at the same speed as the firing ship due to warp sustainers.

As to why it hasn't been used more often? Starfleet's run by idiots? Same as to why they don't bother creating gravimetric torpedoes (except by that one time in VOY)as it could do a whole lot more damage than photon or quantum torps. Another reason could be that Starfleet didn't think it was a viable method of combat and thus was largely abandoned until the Prometheus prototype.

Or lastly, maybe it has been used whenever possible except it is by the captain's perogative. That is why Kirk is most apt to use warp combat but Sisko, Janeway and Archer haven't used warp combat and Picard rarely utilizes it.

Speculation, speculation, speculum.

Are you totally deaf now, Enigma? Or just partially? If you like, I can try to transcribe it for you, if that will help.

Are you totally deaf now, Enigma? Or just partially? If you like, I can try to transcribe it for you, if that will help.

Almost total. Lost just about all hearing in my right ear and less than half remaining in my left. I'd have to plug in my headphones into the speakers but even then it isn't that good.

I'm not entirely clear on the concept of warp strafing. Is it the idea that ships can fight at FTL or that they can attack STL targets while at warp?

Attacking STL ships while at Warp...

Actually, it kinda melded both strafing and combat aspects.