News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Afishymeadow

Were SW's Galactic Empire to enter the ST Milky Way's Alpha Quadrant DURING the Dominion War.

And cloning people is more costly than drafting them into military... beacouse that's what Stormtroopers seem to be - draftees.

Just so we're on the same page here, what source claims millions of warships for the Empire? I see a reference in Wookiepedia, but there is no source listed. Preferably something more reliable than a comic book or a tabletop RPG, please.

Considering that the GE controls a huge chunk of the galaxy, wouldn't it make sense that they'd have millions of warships? Not all of them would be the most recent top of the line warships like the ISD I & IIs. And when I say warships I don't mean all of them are capital ships. There would be many frigates, destroyers and assault carriers too. Then add in support ships like armed troop transports, tenders and so forth and well maybe millions upon millions of warships may be stretching it but the GE must have a large ship count to keep the sectors in line.

I'll look around for a source.

EDIT: Ok, I looked around and wookieepedia states that the Imperial Navy at its peak had millions of warships, fighters and transports and trillions of fleet crew. The source they used was the Republic Era Campaign Guide..

Just so we're on the same page here, what source claims millions of warships for the Empire? I see a reference in Wookiepedia, but there is no source listed. Preferably something more reliable than a comic book or a tabletop RPG, please.

I believe it comes from rough extrapolation based on the average size of sector fleets and their composition. Though needless to say, star destroyers only make up a tiny fraction of that total number.

Ok, I looked around and wookieepedia states that the Imperial Navy at its peak had millions of warships, fighters and transports and trillions of fleet crew. The source they used was the Republic Era Campaign Guide..

So in other words, a Tabletop RPG....

Not to mention the ANH novelization states that the Empire controls a very small area of its galaxy.

Where'd it say that, and why is it somehow more canon then other stuff?

Well, considering novelizations of the FILMS are considered G canon, and tabletop RPGs are actually in a level below C-canon, I'm going to go with the novelization.

I think it's early on in the book, and even then, Tarkin mentions that the Empire has "a million systems". Considering that there are fifty million stars within a one thousand light-year distance from our Sun, you could easily fit a million stars within a relatively small space, especially if the world they're centered around (Coruscant) is closer to it's galaxy's core.

The ANH novelization also states that the SW galaxy is a "modest-sized galaxy". However, we know that the SW galaxy is a spiral galaxy, and spirals tend to have a diameter between 50,000 and 150,000 light-years. Our own Milky Way is 100,000 light-years across. From this info, we can gather that the SW galaxy would be about 60,000 light-years across.

EDIT: Ok, I looked around and wookieepedia states that the Imperial Navy at its peak had millions of warships, fighters and transports and trillions of fleet crew. The source they used was the Republic Era Campaign Guide..

Exactly. No reliable source.

Well, considering novelizations of the FILMS are considered G canon, and tabletop RPGs are actually in a level below C-canon, I'm going to go with the novelization.

It's not that cut and dried actually. Anything that explicitly appeared in the films is G-canon, but stuff that was added in that we didn't see or hear is still C-canon.

I think it's early on in the book, and even then, Tarkin mentions that the Empire has "a million systems". Considering that there are fifty million stars within a one thousand light-year distance from our Sun, you could easily fit a million stars within a relatively small space, especially if the world they're centered around (Coruscant) is closer to it's galaxy's core.

The ANH novelization also states that the SW galaxy is a "modest-sized galaxy". However, we know that the SW galaxy is a spiral galaxy, and spirals tend to have a diameter between 50,000 and 150,000 light-years. Our own Milky Way is 100,000 light-years across. From this info, we can gather that the SW galaxy would be about 60,000 light-years across.

OUR galaxy is also considered 'modest sized' FYI.

It's not that cut and dried actually. Anything that explicitly appeared in the films is G-canon, but stuff that was added in that we didn't see or hear is still C-canon.

Even if that's the case, tabletop RPGs aren't even C canon. They're a step below that.

OUR galaxy is also considered 'modest sized' FYI.

Nope. It's considered average-sized. Modest tends to be smaller than average.

Best way tell size Empire somewhat tell size Old republic. Senate possible up thousand members your talk about least thousand star systems. So I say Republic thousand worlds the Empire might few more that. How many major system minor parts is also unknown.