News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
WalksInDarkness

Star Trek 2012 Reboot Video Game

Has anyone had any interest in the upcoming Star Trek 2012 Reboot Video Game? It's supposed to be a tie-in bridge related to the upcoming movie sequel. Usually these movie games are throwaway marketing nonsense, but they claim this one will be higher quality... supposedly. Here is the trailer:

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-deets-about-upcoming-star-trek-game

The 2009 Trek film and it's upcoming sequel aren't reboots. They're an alternate timeline which is tied into the main timeline.

The 2009 Trek film and it's upcoming sequel aren't reboots. They're an alternate timeline which is tied into the main timeline.

They might as well be reboots. Come on, really, do you really think there will be another movie or T.V. series for mainline Trek? Old Trek is practically dead except for STO and the books. ST2k9 pretty much buried it.

They might as well be reboots. Come on, really, do you really think there will be another movie or T.V. series for mainline Trek? Old Trek is practically dead except for STO and the books. ST2k9 pretty much buried it.

You still don't understand what they did, or what a reboot is. A reboot is taking a movie and remaking it with little or no regard for the original work, and pretending the original didn't happen. Example: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Dark Knight (And virtually any other comic book related franchise) The Abrams Trek movies are a parallel universe. They're no more a reboot than any of the Mirror Universe episodes were reboots. They are also heavily tied in with events in the Prime universe. And yes, if there's another Trek series, it WILL be in the Prime universe. The main reason being that the TV series are owned by CBS and the movies are owned by Paramount. There isn't a chance in hell on those two collaborating on a series. Also, the Prime universe is still very much viable and is what most people associate with Trek.

Of course, this has gotten derailed. The game looks pretty cool. I'd like to try it.

Whoops! OK then, parallel timeline. You Roddenbeeches are easily worked up! harhar.gif

It will be interesting to see how well the Co-op mode is implemented.

You still don't understand what they did, or what a reboot is. A reboot is taking a movie and remaking it with little or no regard for the original work, and pretending the original didn't happen. Example: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Dark Knight (And virtually any other comic book related franchise) The Abrams Trek movies are a parallel universe. They're no more a reboot than any of the Mirror Universe episodes were reboots. They are also heavily tied in with events in the Prime universe. And yes, if there's another Trek series, it WILL be in the Prime universe. The main reason being that the TV series are owned by CBS and the movies are owned by Paramount. There isn't a chance in hell on those two collaborating on a series. Also, the Prime universe is still very much viable and is what most people associate with Trek.

I know the T.V. series are owned by CBS and the movies by Paramount. But I somehow doubt that CBS will put another ST show for a long long time and will concentrate mainly on games and books. I believe that if CBS will put another show sometime down the road, they'll have made an agreement with Paramount and create a series based on the new ST.

I really hope they'd do that. The improvements made in ST2k9 made ST a lot better to enjoy. This gives me an idea.... smile.gif

As for the game, looks interesting but it is too early to tell. I hope it isn't one of those "Army of Two" or "Kane and Lynch" type of game.

Is it supposed to be an MMO or is it a single player game?

It's a 1-2 player campaign. I am betting the MMO stuff will stick within the Prime universe. The article in Game Informer said the current plan is to begin a full ST2k9 franchise, with a Console Game Series as part of the plan.

I have severe doubts as to the viability of another Prime series in near to medium term, at least in the form we knew.

Modern TV consumption might support another DS9 style series, but grimdark is just too popular right now to make the themes of mainstream Star Trek profitable without the fans. And of course Berman poisoned that well so thoroughly and Coto didn't get the chance he needed.

As for the reboot/alternate timeline stuff? Really, were going to have a fight about that?

Functionally, it's a reboot - whatever the story excuses are. Those story excuses do continue a long ST tradition though.

Reboots restart the ENTIRE franchise. As in all story lines are no longer canon or in use.

This is obviously NOT a reboot as the canon storylines from Prime universe are still in play, however the Abrams universe is also in play.

Thus its more like the Mirror Universe than a reboot.

Reboots restart the ENTIRE franchise. As in all story lines are no longer canon or in use.

This is obviously NOT a reboot as the canon storylines from Prime universe are still in play, however the Abrams universe is also in play.

Thus its more like the Mirror Universe than a reboot.

Thank you. That's precisely the difference. It's expanding on the Star Trek franchise, not replacing something.

Thank you. That's precisely the difference. It's expanding on the Star Trek franchise, not replacing something.

Reboots reboot the entire franchise, and all the little subcontinuities? You sure you want to make that arguement, because Mr. DC and Mr. Marvel (The Right Honorable Lords of Reboots and Resets) would like to point out that exactly how you define "Franchise" is important if you want to split hairs this precisely.

And we'll see how long the Trek Prime franchise (or the Trek franchise entirely) remains viable. I remember what the nineties were like, and that's what drove the brand.

Remember, Trek becoming the size of World of Warcraft is a contraction that is almost painful to contemplate - and that's probably the best Trek Prime can hope for without a tentpole in the mainstream media.