News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Praeothmin

A Voyager "What If"...

I've started this thread on a couple of other boards, but I wanted to see what the members here thought about it...

So here goes:

What would have happened in Voyager if, instead of an Intrepid-class ship, Voyager had been:

1-A Defiant-class;

2-A Sovereign-class;

3-A War-Refit Galaxy-class...

I've started this thread on a couple of other boards, but I wanted to see what the members here thought about it...

So here goes:

What would have happened in Voyager if, instead of an Intrepid-class ship, Voyager had been:

1-A Defiant-class;

2-A Sovereign-class;

Is Janeway still in command, or do we get competent COs? (As would befit more important ships.)

Somebody smart gets home at the end of "Caretaker".

So here goes:

1-A Defiant-class;

2-A Sovereign-class;

With a Defiant-class, the crew would have to constantly refuel and resupply, thus limiting how far they can go. With the other two, the Delta Quadrant is left in smoking ruin.

With a Defiant-class, the crew would have to constantly refuel and resupply, thus limiting how far they can go. With the other two, the Delta Quadrant is left in smoking ruin.

See above...

Genocide Janeway would manage to piss away any advantage she had, and then continue killing her crew with glee. She'd just have more shuttles to lose.

As I said, with either a competent CO, Caretaker ends with the crew back in the Alpha Quadrant, and with an interesting pilot episode.

Defiant class starship not been able destroy Caretaker station or the Galaxy class starships or Sovereign poor poor Caption Janeway. She can get crew stuck in Delta Quadroon ,because she does not have fire power to do so. She can not blow Caretaker Station array but can turn those Kazon starship to space dust bring reinforcements and give the UFP new faster way to travel. She could even save all fine UFP soldiers live that will get not lost during Dominion war.

I think as for getting stuck in Delta Quadroon all classes starship can get warp nine and however Galaxy class starship and the Sovereign class starships have more resource and might even flesh and blood doctor. On the Defiant class starship are crew unknown shape the Starship is design to take beating so even possible lose no on trip to Delta Quadroon and best off the crew only have put up Neelix for a year organ thieves get to him. They fewer shuttlecrafts and fewer crew need get supplies a lot more often.

I agree. The Defiant class is just not designed for that kind of long range mission. The refit Galaxy would fare better as a long range ship, but the sovereign class is much more advanced technologically.

I agree. The Defiant class is just not designed for that kind of long range mission. The refit Galaxy would fare better as a long range ship, but the sovereign class is much more advanced technologically.

It really depends, to my knowledge, we've never really determined what kind of ship the Sovereign is. From Picard's ranting in First Contact, I'd guess that they are a rough equivalent to a battleship. They may not have the kind of endurance a long range exploration ship would. Also, one of the first tradeoffs made between Regular and Wargalaxy would probably be to drop the range and endurance for extra crew and equipment, maybe a less efficient - but more powerful - reactor system.

In all actuality, and as much as I bitch about the design, an original Galaxy with a fixed reactor would be the best solution to the problem. But then, an original Galaxy was quoted to have multi-year endurance anyway, as well as being a large enough ship so as to require a full, diversified crew and a system for being relatively self-sustaining. Also, as mentioned above, a ship that large will probably have an experienced command team, and will not run into the stupid mistakes that Voyager made. For damn sure they'd have more than one doctor.

Also: Advanced technology doesn't figure into this one, Tyralak. I'd take a Connie over any of the presented options, as Connies were quoted to have an endurance of 5-years, and late Connies can be argued to be much faster than the Voyager. (Never mind that the crews of the Connies were the best of the best, rather than the dregs that Voyager had.)

Is Janeway still in command, or do we get competent COs? (As would befit more important ships.)

Somebody smart gets home at the end of "Caretaker".

Janeway is still in command.

I'm curious as to what would change for Janeway and co after she strands them in the DQ, but with different ships...

Janeway is still in command.

I'm curious as to what would change for Janeway and co after she strands them in the DQ, but with different ships...

With Janeway in command, I don't know that anything changes. The bad decisions resulting in the show still happen. Perhaps the Maquis end up in the brig because they don't need them as much with the larger crews (in the Sov/Galaxy options).

It really depends, to my knowledge, we've never really determined what kind of ship the Sovereign is. From Picard's ranting in First Contact, I'd guess that they are a rough equivalent to a battleship. They may not have the kind of endurance a long range exploration ship would. Also, one of the first tradeoffs made between Regular and Wargalaxy would probably be to drop the range and endurance for extra crew and equipment, maybe a less efficient - but more powerful - reactor system.

In all actuality, and as much as I bitch about the design, an original Galaxy with a fixed reactor would be the best solution to the problem. But then, an original Galaxy was quoted to have multi-year endurance anyway, as well as being a large enough ship so as to require a full, diversified crew and a system for being relatively self-sustaining. Also, as mentioned above, a ship that large will probably have an experienced command team, and will not run into the stupid mistakes that Voyager made. For damn sure they'd have more than one doctor.

Also: Advanced technology doesn't figure into this one, Tyralak. I'd take a Connie over any of the presented options, as Connies were quoted to have an endurance of 5-years, and late Connies can be argued to be much faster than the Voyager. (Never mind that the crews of the Connies were the best of the best, rather than the dregs that Voyager had.)

Interesting points.

The comparison between the Connie and the E-D though may also extend to the E-E, IMO, for this simple reason:

While the E-E has less volume then the E-D, it requires less volume for equal capabilities.

There are no families on the E-E, the crew complement seems to have been reduced, there are no racquetball courts or pools, essentially, all the non-essential recreational areas have been removed.

Quarters are more Spartan, again requiring less room.

So I would venture that for its reduced volume, the E-E has the same long-range exploration capacity as the E-D.

Plus, it's a lot faster, appears to take a pounding as well, if not better, then the E-D, and it has more powerful weapons and shields.

The War-Refit Galaxy had, according to backstage info, all its main equipment, except for a few labs (probably things like Hydroponics and stuff) that would be installed after the war, so it's more maneuverable (remember the strafing runs of the two WGCS in DS9?), more powerful, and has the possibility to have its empty space filled out by the crew, because of greater industrial capacity.

If Voyager's crew could replenish their shuttle and torpedo supplies, and built a brand new ship out of scratch, the crew of a bigger WGCS would have definitely been able to create the rooms they needed…

Now, here's for my analysis:

1-Defiant-class:

While it would have ass-kicked the Kazon ships coming after it with a vengeance, due to its much greater Firepower and maneuverability when compared to an Intrepid, and pretty much all opponents except for the Borg and Species 8472, I agree its small size and limited supplies would offer a greater challenge then it was for Voyager.

More stops to refuel, obtain parts and raw material for repairs and weapons, and limited activities outside of the main ship because of limited supplies in shuttles, and its slower top speed.

Conclusion, if the Defiant succeeds in destroying or incapacitating the Kazon ships attacking it at the beginning, Janeway might have had the time to rig a "return-home" ride through the array and then rif it to explode, thus making this journey a tough one, but a successful one too.

If it cannot destroy them, only damage them enough to get away and stop any pursuit, then while the Defiant's power makes it easier to convert enemies to allies in the beginning, in the end it might not make it because through lack of supplies, or the journey may have been quite longer, with more losses…

2-Sovereign-class:

This is where we see the ass-kicking power of the Defiant, in a vessel made for long range as well, with similar speeds to an Intrepid's.

It has greater industrial capabilities then in an Intrepid, so would have an easier time for repairs, refueling less often, getting less damage from encounters while dealing more, so again, its raw power would be helpful in transforming potential enemies into allies.

The first encounter with the Kazons would have gone to their advantage, although since the Sovereign is bigger, it gets hit more often, and so would have needed to flee as Voyager did, except that the Kazons would not have been able to mount much of a pursuit.

The trip back would have taken a little less time IMO, simply due to the greater power and resilience of the ship (less difficult fights), greater supplies (less stops) and better medical facilities (less dead crew members, more people working on the ship).

Also, Seska's ploy to take the ship and its technology would have more then likely failed if only because destroying even one shield grid is tougher then on an Intrepid, and the ship would have suffered less damage, and all the while the Kazon ships would get pounded and eventually destroyed…

Conclusion, while not a cakewalk, the trip of a Sovereign-class Voyager in the DQ would have been easier on the crew, and a bit quicker too.

3-War-Refit Galaxy-Class:

While the WGCS has more power then an Intrepid, and also all the advantages the Sovereign has in terms of cargo and supplies and industrial capabilities, its slower speeds make the basic travel time a bit longer.

It is slightly less powerful then the Sovereign, so while the fights would be a bit tougher, they will still be easier then with an Intrepid-class, so easier fights, more allies then enemies, easier repairs and refueling, but slower,.

Conclusion, while the journey is almost as easy on the crew as with the Sovereign-class, it takes the same time then with an Intrepid-class ship.

Even thought agree the Sovereign class lot more power Intercept class starship it also has lot more labs and Library to I hardly call it battleship.

Sovereign classTypical science laboratories aboard a Sovereign-class starship included:

stellar cartography (Star Trek: First Contact)

bio and medical labs

hydroponics (Star Trek: First Contact)

cybernetics lab (Star Trek Nemesis)

here were I get this information http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lab

Here I get information that Sovereign class starship liberity to

In 2375, Commanders Riker and Troi were researching the Son'a, Tarlac, and Ellora in the ship's library.

Another officer present was researching the Apollo 11 mission, and another the history of the Founders. (Star Trek: Insurrection)

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Library

Also for Galaxy class warship we can only make guess work on it. The Galaxy class warship most likley also be able to do better job deal getting home.