News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

The Waters of Mars

I'm finally getting caught up on some Dr Who, and I watched The Waters of Mars the other day. It was overall a decent episode. It showed The Doctor questioning some of his basic beliefs. I really found the whole thing about the alien life being trapped in the ice interesting too, but I was left really wanting more, and I have the bad feeling none of this will be re isited or expounded upon. We were told that Mars was once inhabited, and they were apparently menaced by these creatures but locked them beneath the ice. However, we were never given any indication what happened to the Martians and if these creatures were responsible. We were also given no information as to where these things originated. The episode has a lot of good points but it was very unsatisfying. Unless they go back in future episodes and explain some of this, I'm going to have to give this episode a lower score than I want to.

The Water of Mars is an anagram of War of the Masters, which End of Time basically was.

That's fine and all, but the story didn't have anything to do with it. I know how much Russell T Davies loves anagrams, but if that's all the story was, a vehicle for a cheesy anagram, then that's pathetic. It had a lot of promise, but they didn't follow through. Any idea if they'll expand on some of this at a later time?

That's fine and all, but the story didn't have anything to do with it. I know how much Russell T Davies loves anagrams, but if that's all the story was, a vehicle for a cheesy anagram, then that's pathetic. It had a lot of promise, but they didn't follow through. Any idea if they'll expand on some of this at a later time?

You are confusing me. "Waters of Mars" was the title of that special and an anagram of the special that came next which was basically a "War of the Masters".

You are confusing me. "Waters of Mars" was the title of that special and an anagram of the special that came next which was basically a "War of the Masters".

Maybe I misunderstood your remark. I took it as you saying the point of The Waters of Mars was to be an anagram of The War of the Masters. Re-reading it, I suspect that was a side bit of trivia rather than the point of the episode.