News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
InvaderSkooj

The latest in debauchery

In the earlier stages (post 3303CE) of the Melconian war Q decides to replace the Melconians with the UFP and (maybe)Klingons. For all intents and purposes the Concordiat, Bolos dont notice the switch, and will fight to the death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_%28tank%29

http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/bolo/briefhistory.html

I don't really know about the Concordiat's capabilities in space but I hope the UFP and the Klingons do not plan to do any planetary sieges or invasions that Bolos on them.

I don't really know about the Concordiat's capabilities in space but I hope the UFP and the Klingons do not plan to do any planetary sieges or invasions that Bolos on them.
Bolo hellbores are usually equivalent to a capital ship weapons, they also carry spinal mount relativistic kinetic weapons and missiles. Basically everything a Bolo has, their ships have, to include sentient AI

Bolo hellbores are usually equivalent to a capital ship weapons, they also carry spinal mount relativistic kinetic weapons and missiles. Basically everything a Bolo has, their ships have, to include sentient AI

Not to mention landing sleds that carry two bolos externally.

What about numbers? How many capital ships could the Concordiat wield?
Never really give overall numbers, whatever's reasonable for a few hundred planets. They usually operate in task forces 1-3 dozen ships

Never really give overall numbers, whatever's reasonable for a few hundred planets. They usually operate in task forces 1-3 dozen ships

There aren't really even numbers on how many bolos there are.

There are plenty of numbers on the Bolo's armament and expect more. I think Weber has taken over the Boloverse...

I'd say they're both on par in firepower but the Concordiat will barely win it in the end just due to the Bolo's uncanny ability to be always accurate and never give up.

I'd say they're both on par in firepower but the Concordiat will barely win it in the end just due to the Bolo's uncanny ability to be always accurate and never give up.
Yeah they have bolo AIs in their ships too, with even more guns to shoot

Yeah they have bolo AIs in their ships too, with even more guns to shoot

Forgot about that and I now remember that the ship's crew are plugged into the ship thus making them even more deadly.

So Bolo's will win big time despite suffering some losses.

Forgot about that and I now remember that the ship's crew are plugged into the ship thus making them even more deadly.

So Bolo's will win big time despite suffering some losses.

Most likely, given the trekkies lack of input, I'd say a forgone conclusion. I guess bolos scare them

Or, it may simply be that your two links, while informative about what Bolos are, is severely lacking about their actual capabilities (as far as weapons yields, and so on).

So people like me, who do not know much about Bolos (in fact, I know nothing except for the two articles you linked) are not able to debate this at all...

It's not a lack of interest, just a lack of knowledge on the subject...

Or, it may simply be that your two links, while informative about what Bolos are, is severely lacking about their actual capabilities (as far as weapons yields, and so on).

So people like me, who do not know much about Bolos (in fact, I know nothing except for the two articles you linked) are not able to debate this at all...

These Bolos have pinpoint accuracy and almost never misses (I do not recall them ever missing). The Hellrail's yield is 90 megatons.

A Brief Technical History of the Bolo

It doesn't cover anything after the fall of the Concordiat, which is what Enigma is referencing, but it does cover the basics.

The yield for the main weapons is usually quoted the first time they show up.

(as far as weapons yields, and so on).

(in fact, I know nothing except for the two articles you linked)

the most common weapons would be a 200cm hellbore which yields 5MT/s

110cm hellbores 2.75MT/s, 90cm 2Mt/s 20cm 400KT/s. yield is fairly linear in respect to calibre.

All are capable of engaging orbital targets from the ground, and have 4-5second cycle times

the most common weapons would be a 200cm hellbore which yields 5MT/s

110cm hellbores 2.75MT/s, 90cm 2Mt/s 20cm 400KT/s. yield is fairly linear in respect to calibre.

All are capable of engaging orbital targets from the ground, and have 4-5second cycle times

One thing I never figured out is if that 5MT/s is time averaged or not.

I.E. Is each shot 30MT, or 5MT?

One thing I never figured out is if that 5MT/s is time averaged or not.

I.E. Is each shot 30MT, or 5MT?

I've always assumed 5MT given its just a hunk of fusing frozen hydrogen thrown at .7c, I dont see how you could make that last 4 seconds

I've always assumed 5MT given its just a hunk of fusing frozen hydrogen thrown at .7c, I dont see how you could make that last 4 seconds

Agreed, but if you time average it over the entire cycle, then it would be 30.

so:

01. Fire (30 MT)

02. Reloading

03. Reloading

04. Reloading

05. Reloading

06. Reloading

07. Fire (30 MT)

08. Reloading

09. Reloading

10. Reloading

11. Reloading

12. Reloading

I'm not saying that's the right way to interpret it, but I do wonder if that is what they mean by 5 MT/s, because wouldn't they just say per shot if they meant per shot?

Agreed, but if you time average it over the entire cycle, then it would be 30.

so:

01. Fire (30 MT)

02. Reloading

03. Reloading

04. Reloading

05. Reloading

06. Reloading

07. Fire (30 MT)

08. Reloading

09. Reloading

10. Reloading

11. Reloading

12. Reloading

I'm not saying that's the right way to interpret it, but I do wonder if that is what they mean by 5 MT/s, because wouldn't they just say per shot if they meant per shot?

I suppose it could, I always just assumed 5 megatons, Its bad enough half the writers forget/dont realize those levels of firepower can level small mountains

One thing I noticed in the Article Questor relinked for me (the one InvaderSkooj had orignally linked) and which I had time to read (thanks to you both), is that we need to specify the time frame.

If we assume identical time frames, then the most advanced Bolo available at the time of ST Nemesis is the Mark XV (built in 2396), which still had the 25cm Hellbore with 0.5Mtons yield, and which was still incapable of firing in orbit.

If we use the latest Bolo, then we can use the latest ST incarnation, parts of which was seen in Voyager, where a single shuttle was more then a match for an Intrepid-class starship, or even Janeway's "Batman-armored" shuttle wich could take the punishment being dished out by a Vorcha attack cruiser...

So, we need a setting:

For example, do we use the same dates, or do we use current Trek (post-Nemesis) and the latest Bolo dates?

That will help us compare.

One thing I noticed in the Article Questor relinked for me (the one InvaderSkooj had orignally linked) and which I had time to read (thanks to you both), is that we need to specify the time frame.
Its in the OP, post 3303

So, we need a setting:

For example, do we use the same dates, or do we use current Trek (post-Nemesis) and the latest Bolo dates?

That will help us compare.

Trek will be pre-dominion war 2272ish, no war losses yet

Its in the OP, post 3303

That one I read, but we were missing the second half:

Trek will be pre-dominion war 2272ish, no war losses yet

Thanks.

We now have Bolo capabilities.

What we need now is to know the setting specifics:

How many ships for Trek?

Against how many Bolos?

For example, are we talking about a planetary siege from Star Trek vs the defensive lines of Bolos?

The links you gave didn't give much info on how many Bolos we could expect per planet.