News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

A fleet Delta Flyer vrs the Death star

These tough little ships can take a lot heavy hiting.

Apparently so has your intelligence. smile.gif

DS + swarms of various TIEs = DF debris.

TIEs wont do much, but srsly, Jason. This is a big reach. How small on the Trek side are you going to go? The DS is a superweapon. This is like trying to pit a TIE fighter against a Borg Cube. Try a more even contest. They aren't even in the same class.

Tie Bombers can launch very nimble proton torpedoes at the DFs. As fast as the DFs are they can't shake the torps.

Tie Bombers can launch very nimble proton torpedoes at the DFs. As fast as the DFs are they can't shake the torps.

It really depends on the shielding of the DF. But in any event, pitting it against the DS is beyond insane.

It really depends on the shielding of the DF. But in any event, pitting it against the DS is beyond insane.

On a middle ground, starfighter grade protorps are equal to photorps in net yield but superior to photorps in maneuverability. But yes in then end it does not matter. smile.gif

On a middle ground, starfighter grade protorps are equal to photorps in net yield but superior to photorps in maneuverability. But yes in then end it does not matter. smile.gif

How did you come up with that? Honestly, that's beyond number wanking to claim proton torpedoes are anywhere near the yield of photon torpedoes.

Just going but what is said over at SDN. They do admit that the protorps are low yield (the starfighter version) and are generally useless against shielded ships but they are shape charged. All of their energy is directed towards the target whereas the photorp's energy release is omnidirectional. That means maybe up to 50% of it's energy actually hits the target.

Gross yield I'd put the photorp as higher but net yield I'd put both of them as the same. Except of course for special protorps which could go up to gigaton range. The last part is based on the Red Squadron novels.

Nevertheless, the maneuverability alone puts the protorp superior to the photorp even if the photorps have greater yield.

Just going but what is said over at SDN. They do admit that the protorps are low yield (the starfighter version) and are generally useless against shielded ships but they are shape charged. All of their energy is directed towards the target whereas the photorp's energy release is omnidirectional. That means maybe up to 50% of it's energy actually hits the target.

Gross yield I'd put the photorp as higher but net yield I'd put both of them as the same. Except of course for special protorps which could go up to gigaton range. The last part is based on the Red Squadron novels.

Nevertheless, the maneuverability alone puts the protorp superior to the photorp even if the photorps have greater yield.

Quite honestly, "because SDN said so" doesn't work here. I honestly don't give a rats ass what SDN says about anything. (Saying this in the nicest way possible, mind you. No reflection on you tongue.gif) The fact that proton torpedoes are likely nuclear, IIRC and Photon torpedoes are antimatter, is a big difference in itself. Here's a handy antimatter calculator that can be used to calculate yields.

Quite honestly, "because SDN said so" doesn't work here. I honestly don't give a rats ass what SDN says about anything. (Saying this in the nicest way possible, mind you. No reflection on you tongue.gif) The fact that proton torpedoes are likely nuclear, IIRC and Photon torpedoes are antimatter, is a big difference in itself. Here's a handy antimatter calculator that can be used to calculate yields.

What's the size of an X-Wing Proton Torpedo?

As I recall, the Photon Torpedo has a 1.5 Kg charge, which gives a yield of about 64 MT.

Of course, capitol ship proton torpedoes are much larger, and could support even bigger nuclear weapons. You don't have the issues in space that you do in atmosphere.

What's the size of an X-Wing Proton Torpedo?

As I recall, the Photon Torpedo has a 1.5 Kg charge, which gives a yield of about 64 MT.

Of course, capitol ship proton torpedoes are much larger, and could support even bigger nuclear weapons. You don't have the issues in space that you do in atmosphere.

The 1.5 KG number comes from the technical manual. It can't really be trusted, given it's non canon status. Here's the Memory-Alpha article on photon torpedoes. This is particularly interesting, but given the non-canon status of it's source, it's kind of moot:

"By using standard physics calculations, a payload of 1.5 kilograms equals to about 64 megatons.

The second type, at maximum yield, achieves the level of destructive force of an antimatter pod rupture. Antimatter is stored as liquid or slush on starships. (pg. 69) Density of mere liquid antideuterium is around 160 kilograms per cubic meter. According to this comparison the high annihilation rate energy release would be comparable to about 690 gigatons. For the sake of plausibility the affected blast area at these intensities might be extremely small. Visual effects on-screen would seem to confirm this. "

The 1.5 KG number comes from the technical manual. It can't really be trusted, given it's non canon status.

What yield do you calculate for Photon Torpedoes? Given the results we see from PhoTorp impacts, i figured 64 MT was extremely generous.

Even if you are correct, this only applies to starfighter grade protorps. Capship grade protorp are a hell of a lot more powerful. Especially those in Torpdo Spheres (with their 500 protorp tubes) which are used to take down planetary shields. smile.gif

The 1.5 KG number comes from the technical manual. It can't really be trusted, given it's non canon status. Here's the Memory-Alpha article on photon torpedoes. This is particularly interesting, but given the non-canon status of it's source, it's kind of moot:

"By using standard physics calculations, a payload of 1.5 kilograms equals to about 64 megatons.

The second type, at maximum yield, achieves the level of destructive force of an antimatter pod rupture. Antimatter is stored as liquid or slush on starships. (pg. 69) Density of mere liquid antideuterium is around 160 kilograms per cubic meter. According to this comparison the high annihilation rate energy release would be comparable to about 690 gigatons. For the sake of plausibility the affected blast area at these intensities might be extremely small. Visual effects on-screen would seem to confirm this. "

You do realize that pessimistic calculations (the explosion inside the E-A in STIV) have a yield of less than 10 KT, right? There's no way the internal decks could stop the radiation, and the radiation would create the fireball in the ships atmosphere. 10 KT gives a 30 m radius. That's giving a huge wiggle-room for the bulkheads to stop the radiation. If we go with a straight ship, and no radiation shielding in the bulkheads, to get the 2.5 meter radius hole it blew in the ship, your talking about a 10 ton blast.

I would also argue that the proven vulnerability of ST ships to the gamma radiation from stars is another argument for dramatically lower yields than the ones quoted.

Note: I am not a nuclear physicist, and I could have fucked up the math, but I think I'm within an order of magnitude on the fireball radiuses.

ETA: Clarification on fireball location.

I said a fleet of Delta flyers vrs Death star forgive for mispelling.

I said a fleet of Delta flyers vrs Death star forgive for mispelling.

We already know that and the answer is still the same.