News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
InvaderSkooj

Honorverse vs. UFP

The Honorverse circa 1920PD is being invaded by the UFP circa 2370 for not giving them prolong.

the Solarian League will be replaced by the UFP, unless the lack of their presence is too destabilizing in which case they will appear next to the SL. Mesa and all their shenanigans have been wiped away, a rouge comet came out of nowhere and obliterated the planet.

Discuss

This ones interesting in that Weber likes masses and velocities, but doesn't quantify energy all that much.

Honorverse ships are at least larger.

This ones interesting in that Weber likes masses and velocities, but doesn't quantify energy all that much.
Thats why I picked it, easy to quantify. Last book or two mentioned specific missile yields which combined with some older quotes allow for close estimates of energy weapon yield.

Thats why I picked it, easy to quantify. Last book or two mentioned specific missile yields which combined with some older quotes allow for close estimates of energy weapon yield.

I've got the ebooks, I'll check it out.

Here are the initial questions I'd ask:

How much energy can ST shields absorb?

How do phasers interact with multi-thousand G gravitational fields? How do the interact with sensors?

How do ST shields deal with contact nuking?

How do ST ships perform in a point defense mode, are phasers even capable of this?

What is the engagement range? Honorverse ships can engage from virtually unlimited ranges in 1920PD. At long range ST ships will get slaughtered.

Cool, where can I get these?
Heres all the released material

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

The Storm from the shadows CD has the entire series except that book, which is the one with the missile yields in it

The main baen site also has a fair chunk of stuff to download in the baen free library

Since theres been no takers I might repost this at SB or SDN

Heres all the released material

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

The Storm from the shadows CD has the entire series except that book, which is the one with the missile yields in it

The main baen site also has a fair chunk of stuff to download in the baen free library

Since theres been no takers I might repost this at SB or SDN

I would but I haven't read the series. I know of it, but not enough to contribute to the discussion.

I'm only on chapter 13 of "On Basilisk Station" but from what I've read that the range of their Grav Lance is 100k km, which Honor consider very short range. Energy weapons have a range of 400k km and the missiles up to 1 million km.

Sublight speed is around .57c but that may be for certain ship types. Their acceleration is over 500g and again that may be for certain ship types (I think destroyers and light cruisers).

Light cruisers mass around 100k tons, heavy cruisers around 300k tons, superdreadnoughts at about 8 megatons. Fortresses are around 16 megatons.

They can hyper jump, and so far that I've read they can make an instant jump of 210ly.

I'm only on chapter 13 of "On Basilisk Station" but from what I've read that the range of their Grav Lance is 100k km, which Honor consider very short range. Energy weapons have a range of 400k km and the missiles up to 1 million km.

Sublight speed is around .57c but that may be for certain ship types. Their acceleration is over 500g and again that may be for certain ship types (I think destroyers and light cruisers).

Light cruisers mass around 100k tons, heavy cruisers around 300k tons, superdreadnoughts at about 8 megatons. Fortresses are around 16 megatons.

They can hyper jump, and so far that I've read they can make an instant jump of 210ly.

OBS is set in 1900PD. The missiles and electronics and shipsize all expanded by 1920PD. a heavy cruiser form 1920 masses 483,000tons, accelerates at 725g, and fires 15-40Mt missiles at up to 92000g out to 63 million km at half accel

I've only started reading the HH novels. I do not know why I haven't read these books before.

But it is interesting that the torpedoes are useless against shielding but with the shields down a light cruiser could rip a super dreadnought to shreds with one volley of those torps.