News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

KJA Sucks thread

This is the thread where we talk about how much Kevin J. Anderson sucks. Discuss.

He is like a cheap hooker, except no fun. lol. I did enjoy the books initially then I realized why... recycled dialogue which reminds you of the movies. I wish peter david wrote star wars books.  AC crispine wrote a decent star wars book and she did the spock series where he had a son. <div class='bbc_left'></div>

It was virtually criminal. I can't wait for Cassie to weigh in on this one.  grin.gif

Oh! A thread for me! lol 

Dune is to me what LotR is to a lot of people.  It is one of the few series (1st four books anyway) that I can read over and over and always learn something new.  I hate KJA for shitting all over FH's legacy.  I hope he dies in a fire.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Oh! A thread for me! lol 

Dune is to me what LotR is to a lot of people.  It is one of the few series (1st four books anyway) that I can read over and over and always learn something new.  I hate KJA for shitting all over FH's legacy.  I hope he dies in a fire.</div></div>

Nah. why fire? let people realize how  bad he is, and have him die of old age.  Living in disgrace is worst then a painful death.

He thinks he is great, he's very proud of himself.  He constantly brags about how many books he's sold, how many he's published, how fast he "writes".  It'd be for the best if he'd die sooner rather than later, IMO! He's on tour right now for Winds of Dune, maybe his plane will crash.  Oh, and he has quite the fanboy following, he even has his own super secret website http://www.kjasf.com/ invite only.  He gives out freebies for reviews. 

I put writes in quotes because he doesn't actually sit down at a computer or typewriter, he goes for hikes and records his shit on a little tape recorder and sends it off to a typist.   

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>He thinks he is great, he's very proud of himself.  He constantly brags about how many books he's sold, how many he's published, how fast he "writes".  It'd be for the best if he'd die sooner rather than later, IMO! He's on tour right now for Winds of Dune, maybe his plane will crash.  Oh, and he has quite the fanboy following, he even has his own super secret website http://www.kjasf.com/ invite only.  He gives out freebies for reviews. 

I put writes in quotes because he doesn't actually sit down at a computer or typewriter, he goes for hikes and records his shit on a little tape recorder and sends it off to a typist.   </div></div>

most of the writing happens in the editing. if he does not edit what he writes and has a horrible editor. end result.

I actually liked KJA's Last Days of Krypton novel. But I also tend to like alot of cheese and campy stuff.

Well, you can bunch me in with the "I hate KJA" crowd. Not because of what he did to Dune or Star Wars (haven't read any of that stuff), but because of what he did in the Starcraft novel <em class='bbc'>Shadow of the Xel'Naga[/i]. So what's wrong with that particular piece of literature, well, let's break it down into sections. Why not start with...

Characters: This is probably why I hate the novel the most, KJA took established characters and had them behave completely out-of-character. I suppose I should count myself lucky that most of the characters were created by KJA, but it's a poor consolation when he takes a giant dump on both General Duke and Arcturus Mengsk. Both were turned into something completely different from what we saw in the game. Mengsk is a typical one dimensional moustache twirling badguy, which he most certainly wasn't in the game, and General Duke was turned into a cartoonish sidekick villain for Mengsk.  angry.gif:(' />

KJA's depiction of combat: Here's the second worst thing in the novel -- namely how KJA writes combat and war sequences. It's like he didn't even try to look past the game mechanics or try to figure out how real combat works, instead he just wrote combat like it was one giant 3 player FFA on BNet. It literally read like a transcript from some online game. This becomes painfully obvious when you have Hydralisks shooting down Battlecruisers. It's like he wrote that part assuming a Battlecruiser has a health-meter, just like it does in the game.  huh.gif

Story: Alright, the story wasn't that bad. It's just bland and uninteresting.

Long story short, there are certainly worse authors out there, like Jude Watson who wrote some of the worst Star Wars novels I've ever read, but for my part, KJA’s definitely one of the worst ever, and I hope he'll never be allowed to write anything for the verses I'm interested in. Good thing is that after more then half-a-dozen SC novels, the authors being selected to write stuff seems to be improving steadily, and I’m really looking forward to the next novel by William C. Dietz.

I absolutely agree, Styroks. He essentially writes bad fan fiction and gets it published. I haven't read his original works, but I've heard they're better than his spin-off novels. He really should stick to that, instead of sodomizing beloved franchises.

But yours aren't printed and passed off as literature. Plus, your fan-fics are better than his tie in novels.

I always like to read cheesy star wars spin-off novels but I have never paid attention to who wrote them, except of course those by Timothy Zhan (he is a pretty good writer). I just did a quick check and I realized that all the books I didn't like much, or that generally sucked were by KJA. I agree that he does not seem to understand the established characters very well and just does whatever he wants with them.It is a shame that Lucas let him lay down so much of the star wars written universe. But then again Lucas has always loved cash over quality. I know, maybe he can write the next Star Trek/X-men crossover novel. I think it would really show his talents!

Meh. As previously mentioned I actually liked his Last Days of Krypton book and am looking forward to his Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. I think they're making that into a animated movie too.

Yes KJA sucks. He almost sucks as bad as all the rest of you here.

Oh, come on. That one was just pathetic.