News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

The new Star Trek movie

I was able to see this movie at the IMAX opening night back in May. I have to say, at first I had reservations, but I went into it with an open mind, and really enjoyed it. I thought the acting, for the most part was really good. Chekov was annoying, but that's really the only complain I had. The casting was pretty good as well. Quinto made a great Spock, and Karl Urban WAS Bones. I mean, dead on accurate. The soundtrack is what really got my attention. The score was fantastic. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I won't reveal any spoilers, but the massive change in the Trek universe made near the end of the movie took a serious pair of brass balls to attempt. I fully intend to buy it on DVD when it comes out. I may even break down and buy a Blu-Ray player and get it on BD.

I really enjoyed the movie, I know there are a lot of people who don't care for it, but I thought it was a lot of fun to watch.  My only complaint about the movie was the loud gunshot noise every time the ships took off.

Yeah, it seemed like to me that they were going after a kind of BSG effect with the warp drives.

I had the bsg connection as well, but if you notice.  They all suddenly accelerate and shoot forward. The older ones had a flash and sound fx. This one reminds me more of a sonic boom.

That may have been the idea. To kind of add more "punch" the the warp effect.

I loved the movie, but that may be because it is very similar to the ANH.

Also, I am in the majority, I know, but I loved Chekov. He was hilarious.

I obviously have not watched TOS, so that may be why I loved this so much.

Well, I grew up watching TOS, (re-runs, I'm not that fucking old) before TNG came out. You should watch some of them. They were really good, and I think this movie had a lot in common with TOS. But really, as far as Kirk on, this is a different universe. Totally. They have free reign now to do whatever they want. I find that kind of appealing.

I've been thinking about checking it out, but frankly, I'm too interested in TNG right now, to take on any more new Trek(to me).

I enjoyed the movie, and it's the best thing I've seen this year by far. It's wasn't perfect, of course, but the good stuff blotted out the bad stuff to the point where pointing out the bad feels like nitpicking.

The visuals were brilliant. I loved the ship designs, and pretty much everything there was when it came to VFX. The new warp jump was way better then the previous one, the new phaser effects were better, Vulcan collapsing was beautiful, etc. What stuck out the most was the scene where a hole blasted in the side of the Kelvin and a crewman gets blown out into space, the way the sound suddenly disappears when the hapless individual crosses the threshold between ship and space is breathtaking. It set the tone for the entire movie.

The characters were also good. They were all different and interesting in their own way, though I say that as someone who's only watched a few episodes of TOS. The highlights were Kirk and Spock (and naturally the interactions between the two), as well as McCoy. The rest weren’t fleshed out all that much, which is understandable given the time restrictions, but they all had their own defining moments.

The plot... well the plot is the weakpoint, I think. There are some good points, of course, like seeing Vulcan getting sucked into a black hole. It's one of those things you just don't expect the writers to do. Overall, though, the plot was something of a mess. It did manage to invoke a sense of suspense, and it did set up the new timeline in a good way, so it's still okay, I guess.

The only scenes I actually disliked were the ones where Scotty is stuck in the water tubes, the one where Kirk is being chased by a snow monster and the one where Kirk grows large hands. They had no impact on the story, weren’t funny, and were too close to Star Wars, IMO.

<p class='citation'>Quote</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>I enjoyed the movie, and it's the best thing I've seen this year by far. It's wasn't perfect, of course, but the good stuff blotted out the bad stuff to the point where pointing out the bad feels like nitpicking.

The visuals were brilliant. I loved the ship designs, and pretty much everything there was when it came to VFX. The new warp jump was way better then the previous one, the new phaser effects were better, Vulcan collapsing was beautiful, etc. What stuck out the most was the scene where a hole blasted in the side of the Kelvin and a crewman gets blown out into space, the way the sound suddenly disappears when the hapless individual crosses the threshold between ship and space is breathtaking. It set the tone for the entire movie.

The characters were also good. They were all different and interesting in their own way, though I say that as someone who's only watched a few episodes of TOS. The highlights were Kirk and Spock (and naturally the interactions between the two), as well as McCoy. The rest weren’t fleshed out all that much, which is understandable given the time restrictions, but they all had their own defining moments.

The plot... well the plot is the weakpoint, I think. There are some good points, of course, like seeing Vulcan getting sucked into a black hole. It's one of those things you just don't expect the writers to do. Overall, though, the plot was something of a mess. It did manage to invoke a sense of suspense, and it did set up the new timeline in a good way, so it's still okay, I guess.

The only scenes I actually disliked were the ones where Scotty is stuck in the water tubes, the one where Kirk is being chased by a snow monster and the one where Kirk grows large hands. They had no impact on the story, weren’t funny, and were too close to Star Wars, IMO.</div></div>

well, it is a circle. Lucas was influenced by star trek, and now star trek is influenced by star wars.  I for one support a new ds9 with cleaner story line_^-