News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Khas

Gliese 581 g

Back on topic, I ignored this thread because I never check out the science threads. But, damn if this isn't interesting. However, I say that we may be jumping to conclusions too quickly with this. It would be cool as fuck if that planet did support life, and they were on a comparable level to us, but, we still cannot be certain that there is life there. We went from, "Well, this seems a likely enough situation for life to develop." to "Omg there are aliens trying to signal Earth!!!" in about 2.5 seconds.

If there is life there, and they are sending signals, it is far more likely that they were just sending out a wide signal, hoping to receive something from anywhere.

Indeed.

Also, the signal could even come from a source beyond Gliese, and it just happens we caught it and think it comes from the planet...

Could be...

And before you do a Questor (tongue.gif), let me clarify:

Could be as in, it is possible and we cannot dismiss this theory, but we do not know enough yet to clearly favor one interpretation over the other... smile.gif

If you're talking about the weapon, then yes, the only way to see it is if it's aimed at us... tongue.gif

If you're talking about the comm signal, then yes, they could have been doing as desperate guys in bars do to get women by sending drinks to all single ones, and send signal everywhere in the hopes of getting some sort of an answer... smile.gif

"Laser-like in nature"

Says collimated beam to me, not omnidirectional pulse.

Not to mention, how the heck do they know we're here? 200 years ago we were barely emmiting light from the planet, much less signals someone could pick up.

And if they have FTL sensing, why the hell weren't they less ambiguous?

And before you do a Questor (tongue.gif), let me clarify:

Could be as in, it is possible and we cannot dismiss this theory, but we do not know enough yet to clearly favor one interpretation over the other... smile.gif

And another posrep for you.

"Laser-like in nature"

Says collimated beam to me, not omnidirectional pulse.

Not to mention, how the heck do they know we're here? 200 years ago we were barely emmiting light from the planet, much less signals someone could pick up.

And if they have FTL sensing, why the hell weren't they less ambiguous?

Isn't it 20 LY away from us, not 200?

So 20 years ago, we had TJ Hooker going up in space, ST VI: TUC, so signals, we were shooting...

But I really just wanted to make a joke about desperate guys in bars... smile.gif

Honestly, If that was a signal from an advanced civilisation, why didn't they signal us before, and why the heck would they even want to talk to us?

Maybe they're culturally similar to us.

sofa.gif

Maybe they're culturally similar to us.

sofa.gif

You mean retarded? tongue.gif

Isn't it 20 LY away from us, not 200?

So 20 years ago, we had TJ Hooker going up in space, ST VI: TUC, so signals, we were shooting...

Yup, read it wrong.

Remember though, if we picked it up recently, they would have sent it out 20 years ago.

The 70s were such a wonderful time. Hell, I'd have changed the channel in the mid 60s.

Honestly, If that was a signal from an advanced civilisation, why didn't they signal us before, and why the heck would they even want to talk to us?

My guess would be that its similar to why we keep answering some of the debate questions in this forum. Morbid curiosity.