News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Odd router situation

After I changed services from AT&T to Comcast for internet, I was relegated back to a wired network, since my wireless router was part of my old DSL modem. Well, it hasn't been important enough to me to buy a wireless router since the only device that took advantage of it was my iPhone. Today, a customer was getting rid of some old computer equipment, and gave me a wireless router. I was pretty excited, and went home to hook it up. It works, but only when cascaded through my existing wired router. If I try connecting the cable modem directly to the router, it won't detect the modem or connect to the internet, however it works fine when it's placed after my old router. Not too concerned about it, as I just set the port on the wired router than the new one is plugged into as a DMZ. So it essentially just passes through. I just found it to be bizarre, and wondered if anyone here had seen that before.

After I changed services from AT&T to Comcast for internet, I was relegated back to a wired network, since my wireless router was part of my old DSL modem. Well, it hasn't been important enough to me to buy a wireless router since the only device that took advantage of it was my iPhone. Today, a customer was getting rid of some old computer equipment, and gave me a wireless router. I was pretty excited, and went home to hook it up. It works, but only when cascaded through my existing wired router. If I try connecting the cable modem directly to the router, it won't detect the modem or connect to the internet, however it works fine when it's placed after my old router. Not too concerned about it, as I just set the port on the wired router than the new one is plugged into as a DMZ. So it essentially just passes through. I just found it to be bizarre, and wondered if anyone here had seen that before.

You need to shut off your cable modem for 10-15 seconds then plug it into the new router.