News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dr Dave

Stargate Universe

Guest Dr Dave

Anybody here watching Stargate Universe? I got part of the first season on dvd from the local library and have watched several episodes.

Seems like a decent show, has a lost in space/BSG feel too it.

I watched the first season and I really liked it. I haven't gotten to the latest ones yet. I still need to catch up on the last few episodes of Caprica. I'm so behind on my tv shows it isn't even funny. I hope to catch up on some this weekend.

It started out slow and tedious and has taken time for the show to develop. I too am not pleased with the franchise. They have struggled to keep pace with their own success and, for the most part, have partly failed to deliver.

Guest Dr Dave

I ended up only watching several episodes of it.

Just didn't feel like watching it.

It's different and I like it. It's clearly less retarded than SGA or late SG-1 (I'm not a big fan of what SG-1 turned into post Showtime).

It also tries to be a bit more SF than just pulp, and in a way I like that. It's largely felt in the score used for the show. It's much more SF in style. The kind of SF that takes its time. It's moody. I'm afraid the show is shunned because of the young audience that really stuck to SGA. These same people will probably return to the show ten years later and wonder if they may have not missed something.

It's a complete different style, there's not the same kind of action, it's all more bottled (much more than what SGA was and should have been). It's practically let's make SGA the other way round.

Besides I've rarely seen such gorgeous sets and props.

When you see the work that went into polishing the insides of Destiny, it's really that good, and easily rivals the sets of the 1994 Stargate movie (the show never really did justice to that movie).

Plus there's lot of exploration of different landscapes, which SG-1 was shy of and SGA precisely NEVER had. For a STARGATE show, it was a total shame. Really, count the number of truly different landscapes we had in SGA. Don't even bother counting the exotic ones, there's practically none, and you'd have to watch Farscape to fill that gap.

No, SGU may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's absolutely refreshing nonetheless.

It's no Lost: you don't have to wait eons to get the beginning of an attractive main plot - I know what I'm talking about, I never managed to stay tuned long enough to catch the thing that made Lost the success it was, and I couldn't care less now.