News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
scvn2812

The X Files gets one thing right

I was just watching the X Files with my family and was blown away when a UFO flies over a group of alien rebels. There's an electric hum, some panels on the bottom light up and the aliens are incinerated with no visible beam as if someone stuck them in front of the business end of a weaponized microwave oven. Episode 111 if I recall correctly.

I was just watching the X Files with my family and was blown away when a UFO flies over a group of alien rebels. There's an electric hum, some panels on the bottom light up and the aliens are incinerated with no visible beam as if someone stuck them in front of the business end of a weaponized microwave oven. Episode 111 if I recall correctly.

I haven't seen the X-Files in a long time. Did they explain what kind of weapon it was?

It's never described but particle cannons are in play. Weapon satellites were being used to target hackers in one episode. I can't remember the exact effect but it also wasn't very showy.

Except, a particle beam would be visible.

The particles of a particle beam would probably interact with the atmosphere so there would be some effect. Given the close range, it could be a radar or microwave weapon or just a low power (by our standards) broad footprint laser. The craft was hovering fairly low, maybe a few stories up.

Edited by scvn2812