News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Tyralak

Most citizens of the Star Wars galaxy are probably totally illiterate

It seems a bit goofy on the face of it but its a well thought out piece. I don't know that I buy its conclusion, absence of evidence not being evidence of absence and all that, but its certainly an interesting idea. There was another thought provoking piece I read about the strong likelihood that R2 and Chewie were rebel agents the entire time and knew who Leia, Luke and Vader were (R2 having lived through it.)

In Old Republic I think must people have good education. In Galactic Empire discrimation against all none humans they anyone not human not have good education.

After thinking about it a bit, I don't think the comparison to the real world changing over to icons over written words for signs is a valid comparison. After all, all but the most ardently isolationist countries are now or are on their way to being de facto multilingual societies in many regions. Whether because of increased travel for business and recreation or migration, being multilingual is the name of the game.

Where I live, we have large Russian, Ukrainian, Haitian and of course Hispanic minority populations and a lot of international tourism so it's not really feasible to write men's bathroom in a dozen languages.