News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

These big guns will give blasters a run for their money!

Except that, according to the Necron Codex (3rd Edition), Necron Gauss flayers put out megawatts of power, levels which the Imperium has never succeeded in matching, at least, for handheld weapons.

Good observation, i have seen that as well. But observed effects of the man portable weapons of the Imperiumd do get into the hundreds of megajoules, and even gigajoules for the anti-tank weapons.

Those same gauss flayers invariably leave people skeletal when fired upon, sometimes described "vaporized" perhaps hyperbolically, as more often they are described in detail as pealing them away atom by atom. Either requires more than several, or even several dozen megajoules easily. So here, i think where dealing with technobabble weapons with the Necrons. Like phasers they get much more than what they put in, or, they produce power at a rate of hundreds of megawatts.

My calcs suggest lasguns can get into the megajoules, several sources give them peak outputs of 19 or more "megathules" at maximum power. So nothing on a blaster there. BUT, then we have plasma guns, which can vaporize an entire man, or even two or three on the maximal AoE setting, and are good for around 20 shots. Melta's which can reduce 12 cubic meters of ice into steam or reduce a tank to slag in one shot, ammo for six iirc. Multi metlas can reduce a bunker to slag, which will probably get us into the hundreds of gigajoules.

Plasma guns and melta's can both be man-portable :_). 40K is a scary setting, most so on the ground front.

Those bolt guns are also kinetic rather than DET, so a mere energy output comparison isn't be fair on them.

Tbf, there are things blasters can do that bolters could not, like destroying the grate in only one shot. They will probably drop one of those space marines, as a plasma gun can, and they are comparable magnitude. Bolters might have superior penetration. Blasters are good for more shots.

Aren't those Ultramarines in power armor? Also, besides that, aren't they genetically enhanced, making them a lot stronger? Those bolters are quite huge, I doubt a regular Imperial Guardsman would be able to hold one, let alone fire it. :)

Give them each an E-web and let them cut loose. :)

It's from Warhammer 40K, one of the most bugfuck insane sci-fi settings out there. A good chunk of its fandom is just as insane.

I never got into it, to many nutters I knew loved it, It made me give it a wide berth.

I only got into it because one of my friends was. And even then, it's not even close to my favorite franchise.

And you're not kidding about nutters. If deviantArt is anything to go by, a good chunk of the 40K Fandom seems to be composed of Neo-Nazis and other social maladjusts.

Bolter guns are man portable, the heavy bolter is tripod like the E-web. So yea, ordinary non-super human people can wield these guns and all their firepower :)

THere is a lot of 40k firepower inflation on some forums. This can be annoying. Then there are smaller parties that go completely in the other direction, it turns into high vs low. From conventional warships having firepower enough to atomize a continent, vaporize an ocean, or even mass-scatter entire worlds, to barely capable of vaporizing a town or a few hundred tons of rock.

Come on, most of 40K's fan base are kids, teens, or harmless table top game players. It would be a very small percentage trhat are so retarded.

Small, but vocal. And I did mention that one of my RL friends was the person who got me into 40K, and I'd hardly call him nuts. It's just that the loons tend to be quite outspoken.

Oh, at least I acknowledge nice people in the 40K fandom. Commander RayCav hates both the setting and the fandom, calling it "for wankers and social maladjusts".

Bizzarely, people who are members of both the 40K and Furry fandoms tend to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

I'd have to agree wit RayCav that there's a lot of w**k involved in some parts of the fandom. In analysis of 40k i go with what seems consistent and what makes sense, setting wise. The 'highest ends' or taking hyperbole as literal, as some do, is a seemingly common position when talking about warhammer cross over. THe figures used often thrown about don't make sense imo. Some 40Kers do seem to be fast to flame on forums too :L. I think its because of the oh so high figures so readily accepted around the net, that so many feel the need to be so absolute about the other end of the spectrum too, when in reality, the reasonable 'figures' are neither, but rather somewhere in between.