News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
enigma

Starbase COs

How are they addressed as? By their rank or as Commander? I was told that the commanding officer of a starbase\space station\etc... is addressed as "Commander" with DS9 as the source (Sisko was addressed as Commander on DS9 and Captain in the Defiant). I thought that Sisko was ranked as Commander then promoted to Captain?

huh.gif

How are they addressed as? By their rank or as Commander? I was told that the commanding officer of a starbase\space station\etc... is addressed as "Commander" with DS9 as the source (Sisko was addressed as Commander on DS9 and Captain in the Defiant). I thought that Sisko was ranked as Commander then promoted to Captain?

huh.gif

By their rank Sisko was promoted to captain.

Anyway, the captain of a ship is always addressed as captain in a british military tradition, even if he's an ensign. (or an admiral in Kirk's case in TMP)

Yup, I do believe a Starbase Commander is called Commander, no matter their rank, but in some cases they are called by their rank (a few Admirals commanding starbases were called Admiral a few times)...

But I'm not sure about the "Captain" thing (on Fed starships, not in the British navy), as I seem to recall Worf being called Sir, and not Captain, when he was in command of the Defiant, and Sisko being called Commander a few times before his promotion...

Yup, I do believe a Starbase Commander is called Commander, no matter their rank, but in some cases they are called by their rank (a few Admirals commanding starbases were called Admiral a few times)...

Except Sisko was addressed as Captain after his promotion. This whole thing comes from the mistaken belief that Sisko was a captain at the beginning of DS9. Look at his pips, even though Starfleet uniforms have a deplorable lack of sleeve stripes in that era, the pips operate on the same concept. The navy system is actually nicely structured. (I've included the common form of address in parenthesis. Lt. Commander is traditionally the line between when a person is viewed to have enough experience to command a ship independantly. <- This is based on modern naval structure.

Dotted - Ensign J.G. (Ensign)

Full - Ensign (Ensign)

Full, Dotted - Lieutenant, J.G. (Lieutenant)

Full, Full - Lieutenant (Lieutenant)

Full, Full, Dotted - Lt. Commander (Commander)

Full, Full, Full - Commander (Commanter)

Full, Full, Full, Full - Captain (Captain)

But I'm not sure about the "Captain" thing (on Fed starships, not in the British navy), as I seem to recall Worf being called Sir, and not Captain, when he was in command of the Defiant, and Sisko being called Commander a few times before his promotion...

Could be. I was basing it mostly on Kirk in TMP, where he was addressed as Captain. There is actually some implications in TWoK that the ACTUAL Captain of the Enterprise was Spock, and that Kirk simply assumed tactical command, which in that case ended up looking a whole lot like command of the ship.

By their rank Sisko was promoted to captain.

Anyway, the captain of a ship is always addressed as captain in a british military tradition, even if he's an ensign. (or an admiral in Kirk's case in TMP)

I kinda knew that about the ships. So I guess it is the same for starbases then? So for example if the base C.O. is an ensign then he's addressed as "Ensign ----"?

So Sisko was addressed as captain (after promotion) even when he was onboard DS9?

I kinda knew that about the ships. So I guess it is the same for starbases then? So for example if the base C.O. is an ensign then he's addressed as "Ensign ----"?

So Sisko was addressed as captain (after promotion) even when he was onboard DS9?

I'm pretty sure. I'm rewatching B5 now, or I'd look to find out.

Except Sisko was addressed as Captain after his promotion. This whole thing comes from the mistaken belief that Sisko was a captain at the beginning of DS9. Look at his pips, even though Starfleet uniforms have a deplorable lack of sleeve stripes in that era, the pips operate on the same concept. The navy system is actually nicely structured. (I've included the common form of address in parenthesis. Lt. Commander is traditionally the line between when a person is viewed to have enough experience to command a ship independantly. <- This is based on modern naval structure.

I knew Sisko was a Commander at DS9's beginning, it's even said at one time that Starfleet didn't like leaving an entire base under a "simple" Commander (the rank, not the function)...

But I the more I think about, the less I believe I've heard even once a Starbase Commander being adressed as anything other than his actual rank...

Could be. I was basing it mostly on Kirk in TMP, where he was addressed as Captain. There is actually some implications in TWoK that the ACTUAL Captain of the Enterprise was Spock, and that Kirk simply assumed tactical command, which in that case ended up looking a whole lot like command of the ship.

Yes, in TMP, Kirk requested he be given the Captaincy of the Enterprise, while in TWoK, he was there to supervise, as an Admiral, over the Cadets' training, under Captain Spock.

When the crysis emerged, Spock then told Kirk he should take control of the Enterprise, being the Senior officer.

Kirk was never officially put in charge by Starfleet...