News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Styroks

Stormtrooper vs. Redshirt

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me.

This is all the proof I need that this website is a fucking joke. If I started a thread like this on SDN I would be banned and rightfully so.

I could go over how Stormtrooper blasters can fucking gouge out a fucking wall or how Stormtroopers have, contrary to "popular" opinion, have excellent marksmanship, with CANON PROOF, but the fact that people are seriously asking this question just shows me that we just have a bunch of fucking newbs here.

Please then, oh great and powerful one, enlighten us... rolleyes.gif

...and the episode was?

Don't remember. I'll look it up if I have the time...

That was a fucking STARSHIP. We're comparing INFANTRY WEAPONS here. If phasers are as powerful as people claim to be, why did Kirk and Spock spend most of the episode brandishing Tommy Guns (you know, a REAL weapon?)

Well, everything we've seen in ST show us that ship Phasers and hand Phasers behave exactly alike, so if the ship Phasers can fire widebeam, then why not hand Phasers?

And the reason why they were brandishing Tommy guns is because they did not want cultural infection. They did not want their technology to fall in the hands of the planets inhabitants, a fact which they clearly state in the episode... laugh.gif

Oh fuck you. I am so sick and tired of this bullshit being trotted around. I don't need to explain why a dream sequence shouldn't count.

While I clearly need to explain that Riker didn't dream anything out of the ordinary for him, and where everything was consequent with his normal way of living, which is why he didn't pick-up something was wrong and that he was dreaming sooner.

There were a NUMBER of episodes, including "Way of the Warrior" where they were using NARROW BEAM PHASERS to out Odo on a training exercise. Obviously wide beam setting can't do the trick.

Or, it really is power intensive, and as you yourself (and many others many times, including me) have mentioned, may need most of its power to use in widebeam setting, making it inpractical in war, but useful in certain occasions...

And the crew was possessed.

I fail to see how this has any relevance to the subject... huh.gif

Please then, oh great and powerful one, enlighten us... rolleyes.gif

Why don't you register on SDN then and prepare for some real enlightenment for some real arguments? wink.gif

Don't remember. I'll look it up if I have the time...

Concession accepted

Well, everything we've seen in ST show us that ship Phasers and hand Phasers behave exactly alike, so if the ship Phasers can fire widebeam, then why not hand Phasers?

And the reason why they were brandishing Tommy guns is because they did not want cultural infection. They did not want their technology to fall in the hands of the planets inhabitants, a fact which they clearly state in the episode... laugh.gif

There's a matter of power generation. The Enterprise has power to spare for its puny phasers but clearly a hand phaser would be much more limited in terms of its power generation.

And clearly its more a fault of the Prime Directive limiting flexibility in tactics.

While I clearly need to explain that Riker didn't dream anything out of the ordinary for him, and where everything was consequent with his normal way of living, which is why he didn't pick-up something was wrong and that he was dreaming sooner.

LOL!

You're seriously trying to argue that a DREAM is CONSISTENT?

You'll be eaten alive at SDN and rightfully so.

Or, it really is power intensive, and as you yourself (and many others many times, including me) have mentioned, may need most of its power to use in widebeam setting, making it inpractical in war, but useful in certain occasions...

We've found TWO. Real useful, I'm sure.

I fail to see how this has any relevance to the subject... huh.gif

Concession accepted

Why don't you register on SDN then and prepare for some real enlightenment for some real arguments? wink.gif

See, we're getting some of that enlightenment right here with you, and its basically:

I don't agree, so you're wrong...

So I don't think I'll go there for some more of the same... tongue.gif

But, since you keep saying how wrong we are, why don't you try an build an argument here, without all your friends to back you up?

For example, what cannon proof do you have that Stormtroopers are excellent marksmen?

Obi-Wan's quote?

The problem is, we've seen firsthand, with our own eyes, how incompetent they are.

We've seen it against kneeling, black-clad (against white bakcground) rebel soldiers in the Tantive IV, against other rebel soldiers on Hoth and Bespin, and against teddy bears on Endor.

So, what is that CANNON PROOF that you mention?

Concession accepted

Thanks... tongue.gif

There's a matter of power generation. The Enterprise has power to spare for its puny phasers but clearly a hand phaser would be much more limited in terms of its power generation.

And clearly its more a fault of the Prime Directive limiting flexibility in tactics.

Agreed about the power generation, as my following post had said.

And as for the tactics limitation, I think it's more of a difference in mentality between the "Kill them all and sort them out later" Empire and the "I know they're shooting at us but keep asking them if they want to be our friends" Federation... biggrin.gif

You're seriously trying to argue that a DREAM is CONSISTENT?

The problem is, it was not a dream, but an artificially maintained state of hypnosis.

Again, it wasn't until what they made Riker perceive was so different then what Riker should "normally" perceive that he came to realize he wasn't living things for real.

Sometimes we dream of ordinary things we see everyday, and it isn't until we do something out of the ordinary that we realize we're dreaming, like suddenly starting to fly, or someone telling me I could kill an elephant with a 9mm Beretta, for example...

We've found TWO. Real useful, I'm sure.

You find this setting useful too?

Concession accepted... biggrin.gif

And as for the last part, since you failed to provide any relevance of the possessed crew to the subject at hand, then it is I who accepts your concession... cool.gif

I could go over how Stormtrooper blasters can fucking gouge out a fucking wall

At which point someone probably posts more impressive feats that have been performed by phasers. Like this.

or how Stormtroopers have, contrary to "popular" opinion, have excellent marksmanship,

So excellent they keep missing stuff five meters in front of them? I'd love to see what exactly you're thinking of when you say they have excellent marksmanship. Surely you have evidence to support the statement, given your oh-so enlightened state. Or is this going be the same old "only stormtroopers are so precise" and then promptly failing to quantify said incident?

ONE example.

Is enough. Widebeam setting has been shown to stun and said to be able to kill. So that's pretty much all there is to it.

You ever stop to think that maybe all that extra power is being used to put that beam on a wide dispersal pattern in the first place?

I haven’t. But that’s probably because I have basic math skills.

You ever stop to think that maybe all that extra power is being used to put that beam on a wide dispersal pattern in the first place?

I haven’t. But that’s probably because I have basic math skills and realize how the energy per unit of area is going to change when it comes to widebeam setting.

I haven’t. But that’s probably because I have basic math skills and realize how the energy per unit of area is going to change when it comes to widebeam setting.

Well, doesn't that go along with the "extra power" issue?

For example, you use the same power setting, same power output, only you widen the beam.

Won't that make the beam spread its power on a greater area, thus weakening it?

Would you not need more power to make sure the beam has the same power output over an extended area?

Well, doesn't that go along with the "extra power" issue?

For example, you use the same power setting, same power output, only you widen the beam.

Won't that make the beam spread its power on a greater area, thus weakening it? Would you not need more power to make sure the beam has the same power output over an extended area?

Sure. But not by enough to suddenly make a beam go from "blow up torso sized rocks" to "do nothing". The energy spread would be mariginal at best, unless you're shooting at a target really far away in an extremely large angle.

Sure. But not by enough to suddenly make a beam go from "blow up torso sized rocks" to "do nothing". The energy spread would be mariginal at best, unless you're shooting at a target really far away in an extremely large angle.

Ok, in that case, you agree there needs to be something that is sacrificed.

Either range (less range means almost equal power on wide beam), or power (same range means less power on the wide-beam)... smile.gif

But we both agree that it is en existing feature, and that it is useful in some circumstances...