News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Khas

Red and Brown Algae...

Are now in their own kingdom of life, as opposed to green algae, which got dumped in with plants. Because they use different chlorophyll types, and have different cell walls, red and brown algae now form the Kingdom "Chromista". They're officially called chromists. The rest of Kingdom Protista was dissolved. Protozoa now have their own kingdom, and slime molds have been lumped in with Fungi.

Also, Kingdom Monera was divided up, but this is old news. It's now Kingdom "Bacteria" and Kingdom "Archaea". So, the seven kingdoms of life now, are:

Bacteria

Archaea

Protozoa

Chromista

Plantae

Fungi

Animalia

I really should pay more attention to biology, I never realized that there had been so much upheaval in the 7 years or so since I've had a biology class.

There's also the fact that life is organized like a tree. You have three "domains". Domain Bacteria, Domain Archaea, and Domain Eukarya. Domain Eukarya is where the 5 Eukaryote Kingdoms (Plants, Animals, Fungi, Chromists, and Protozoa) lie.

And then again, there's evidence suggesting that the tree of life is just one of four trees, although, those other "trees", if they exist, would be found on other planets. One of them is life that uses left-handed DNA and right-handed amino acids. (Life on Earth uses right-handed DNA and left-handed amino acids.) Another would be life that uses arsenic in place of phosphorous. And finally, silicon-based life, although, life-forms of this type would only exist in environments that make Venus look tame.