News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Afishymeadow

Abrams apparently endorsed by Lucas to helm EPISODE VII!

I've seen numerous reports confirming it. I liked Trek 11 overall though I could have done with just a bit less frantic pace. All the character development was very brute force with not a lot of the more nuanced "adult" themes that make Khan and Undiscovered Country so great.

As long as there's nothing too derpy like people recovering in minutes from having rebar through their shoulder it ought to be good (and I forgive Cloverfield that one little thing too) . What few of his movies I've seen have been good.

:spock:

Better than Michael Bay, that's f'show! Do you forgive JJ Abrams his lens flares? Just don't worry, be happy Trek 11 & 12 weren't made by Cannon Films/Golan-Globus.

:defiant:

William Shatner made a good point in an interview I just watched, it does seem like a bit too much consolidation for the two biggest scifi franchises to be under the thumb of the same director.

As far as lens flares go, it was one movie. Cloverfield didn't really have them, that movie about the kids and the alien didn't have them....and that's about all I've seen of his movies.

William Shatner made a good point in an interview I just watched, it does seem like a bit too much consolidation for the two biggest scifi franchises to be under the thumb of the same director.

It is playing with fire, IMHO.

That line about Abram's "being a pig" I think is probably going to be taken out of context and spread across the web to inflame fan passions but I think Shatner has a point. I think its about creativity and diversity of the minds behind scifi. I know Abrams is a huge Warsie and I think that shows a bit in Trek 11 with his style and presentation - if you kind of squint and forget you're watching a Star Trek movie it could be one of the prequels in parts, however, there's an argument to be made that Star Trek and Star Wars ought to have their own voices and that they should be distinct from one another. I'm still planning on seeing both Into Darkness and Episode 7 and I expect both will be enjoyable but I also hope that with Abrams over both that the franchises aren't going to be homogenized. I've got my fingers crossed that Episode 7 won't be Star Trek Wars Into the Sith and that each franchise will have its own distinct flavor.

For someone reason I just flashed back to Darkside of the Moon. That just causes a bit of bile to gurgle in my stomach thinking about what Michael Bay would do to either franchise. Thank the maker its not my childhood he was messing with and that his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot seems to have dead ended. My friends defend it saying you know what you're not supposed to have high expectations for it and it doesn't have to make sense, its about the giant robots battling, but I still felt dumber walking out of the theater and a bit insulted.

For someone reason I just flashed back to Darkside of the Moon. That just causes a bit of bile to gurgle in my stomach thinking about what Michael Bay would do to either franchise. Thank the maker its not my childhood he was messing with and that his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot seems to have dead ended. My friends defend it saying you know what you're not supposed to have high expectations for it and it doesn't have to make sense, its about the giant robots battling, but I still felt dumber walking out of the theater and a bit insulted.

Mehh! BAHH! Michael Bay! UGH! He's the 21st century version of Golan-Globus. :rolleyes:

Remember Cannon Films?

However, part of being a director and producer (true in both Abram's and Bay's cases iirc) is that you can send the script back for rewrites and say you're not shooting this garbage. Love it or hate it, Abram's apparently had all the time in the world for rewrites for Trek 11 and thought that was as good as it gets. Bay was up against the writer's strike for Revenge of the Fallen but he doesn't have that excuse for the other two movies. I haven't seen it in a while but the first one I seem to remember was semi coherent.

But you pretty much hit the nail on the head for my concerns about the two franchises. I don't want to see the only two space opera series left standing become basically the same thing. Sometimes I feel like a Coke, sometimes I feel like a Pepsi.

My biggest problem is that Trek 2009 already was Trek trying to be Star Wars. Tyr and I have talked about this before and his point stands - whether you agree or not Trek was circling the drain at that point and something, really anything, had to be done to save the franchise and Abrams did just that. But at this point, since Abrams will likely be actually trying to be as faithful to the original Star Wars formula as possible - but as he adopted a bit of that philosophy for Trek, the franchises will start to essentially merge in aesthetics.

Also, don't confuse "director" with "writer." 99% of all the crappiness of the Transformers movie franchise is because of a man named Ehren Kruger (yes, just like Freddie Kruger, and I suppose there's an appropriateness to that). Likewise Michael Bay was just following a script when he did Pearl Harbor.

Good points, especially about the writing. But Bay's STILL a cheeseball:shrug:

However, part of being a director and producer (true in both Abram's and Bay's cases iirc) is that you can send the script back for rewrites and say you're not shooting this garbage. Love it or hate it, Abram's apparently had all the time in the world for rewrites for Trek 11 and thought that was as good as it gets. Bay was up against the writer's strike for Revenge of the Fallen but he doesn't have that excuse for the other two movies. I haven't seen it in a while but the first one I seem to remember was semi coherent.

But you pretty much hit the nail on the head for my concerns about the two franchises. I don't want to see the only two space opera series left standing become basically the same thing. Sometimes I feel like a Coke, sometimes I feel like a Pepsi.

True about directors & stories/scripts. After prometheus Scott can join Bay & Abrams as far as that goes.