News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Any interest in some 40K analysis?

I have been working on a selection of PDFs to perform some ongoing alnalysis of 40K firepower, both on the ground and in space. Once i get them up on Dropbox ill post the links up here if anyones here is interested. There dosnt seem to be huge interest in it here, but it crops up in the vs. now and again.

I posted the first doc at SFJ, but forgot my password lol. But it'll get there when i can remember that too.

Also Brians latest commentaries on beam weapons have given me some ideas for (and settled some fears) regarding my work with their ground based energy weapons too, which is exciting! :)

Cool, heres the first three docs on firepower... theres a few issues to be addressed yet that have been brought up. There's also a case for a lower magnitude which will have to be covered separately - 40K has a lot of books!

Macrocannons : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9q2cyo2k99lh9yc/Macrocannons.pdf

This document covers the possible carried kinetic energies of macro shells, and potential nuclear warhead yields.

The term 'macrocannons' is a catch for all for the weapons batteries mounted on imperial warships. Typically, the largest cannons may fire shells around 50 meters in diameter, but a cruisermay only mount between four and eight of them in broadside. They have range measuring tens o thousands of kilometers, and sometimes wield nuclear warheads. Their mass maybe reduced. Also in this category is everything right down to the rapid firing macroturrets which may be kiloton range as per rouge trader, and might be mounted in the dozens, hundreds, or thousands, depending on what you read.

The Imperium's planetary bombardment capabilities: to level cities and ruin continents! : https://www.dropbox.com/s/thg02hwsv4w1q5v/Continent%20busting%23.pdf

What kind of force must the Imperium bring to level a continent, or even an entire world, and how long does it take? Also covered are the most devastating arms in the Imperium: exterminatus WMD's such as cyclonic torpedoes. It would seem firepower is generally city destroying.

Ork Roks are tough : https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9zugfk6l50b60n/Ork%20Roks.pdf

Roks are invaribly said to be composed pretty much entirely of rock, implying limitations on how tough such a repurposed asteroid can in fact be. It can take several dozen conventional capital ship plasma torps to destroy a rok, but these weapons primarily melt the target. An imperial cruiser may have six prow torpedo launchers, and said torpedoes are most often 60 meters long.