News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
Sign in to follow this  
Khas

Discovery's Klingon appearance

Alright, so a lot of us know that the Klingon designs in Star Trek: Discovery haven't exactly been well-liked.  Ah screw it, most of the fandom despises the DSC Klingon look.

Well apparently, one of the producers has offered an explanation which mitigates this somewhat.  According to him, the Klingons we see are the descendants of ones who left Qo'noS a long time ago, and who began adapting to the environments of the new planets they settled on, in order to better survive conditions there.  And one such trait that was evolved was the heat-sensitive pits, like snakes have.  And baldness as well.  If I had to guess, I'd say that these traits were originally mutations in the Klingon back-up synaptic system (yes, TNG revealed that Klingons have a back-up synaptic system).

So apparently, Discovery Klingons are the equivalent of Abhumans from 40K.

• Confused 1

Oh, and there's some canon stuff to support this theory, too.

First, take a look at a "normal" Klingon - specifically, the Klingon Ambassador in the 2280's/2290's:
320x240.jpg

Now, here's a "Discovery" Klingon - specifically, T'Kumva:

klingon-star-trek-discovery-from-trailer

Now, here's the Klingon captain from "Into Darkness":
img_8608.jpg

If you notice, the Klingon captain's features are somewhere between the other two, suggesting that he might be a hybrid of the two different Klingon subspecies.  And while "Into Darkness" DOES take place in the Kelvin universe, as opposed to the Prime, the Klingon captain's age would suggest that he was born BEFORE the two realities diverged.

• Thanks 1

Okay, they've finally explained at least part of the discrepancy - namely, the hairlessness.  Apparently, Klingons in this era shave their heads before marching off to war.  And since we see Klingons WITH hair in the Season 2 trailer (along with a bunch of other stuff that shows that they at least listened to fan complaints)... I can kinda accept this.

I personally don't think this has anything to do with fan complaints. They were quite plain that this was what they had planned. The bitching and moaning "fans" were just being impatient. 

I guess.  Though there WAS that issue with the D7....